The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-17-2008, 01:57 PM

No problem - that's what this forum is for, anyway, right?

You won't be dissapointed with the cargo. I wanted the charcoal version myself, but when I went to the store (had to drive an hour and a half to the nearest CA dealer) the one they had was in Wine Red. I think it was Acousticado that said he convinced himself that the Wine Red version was "warmer" than the charcoal

There are pics of a charcoal version in this thread, and my wine red version in this thread.

Enjoy yours!!!

EDIT: Just noticed that this is my 100th post. Cool! I love it here
Old 04-17-2008, 02:32 PM

Hey theres nothing wrong with wine red. I'm sure it looks sharp! I will post a review as soon as I get it. It's looking like the first of June because of the demand. Hopefully sooner!
Old 04-17-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimana450k View Post
But what I am saying is that at its price I can buy almost 3 baby taylors... so is it 3 times as good?... maybe.
Frankly IMO the baby is not worth the price it is even. Yes from what I have heard the cargo would be at least three times better. The baby had HORIBLE intonation and never stayed in tune worth a crap and the tone sounds like a toy guitar! I had one for my boy to learn on and it was such a head ach to keep tuned and when I played it the intonation sounded so bad that I got rid of it and bought my boy an Alvarez RF8 and it just absolutely BLEW the tone of the baby away and stayed in tune and had a hard case and it was even LAMINATE and still killed the baby. Oh ya the RF8 was half the price of the baby also!

At first I had fun playing the baby in a chair etc but the tone and intonation was driving me nuts. Neck was too straight and I would rattle the strings way to easy on lower frets. the neck could not get more releif either as the truss rod was backed way off already and still not enough releif.

frankly for what the cargo is - and designed for I don`t think there is much out there that will come close to it at ANY price.

Lee
Old 04-17-2008, 04:06 PM

I went to a local Sam Ash and played a CA 5iM the CARGO's big brother. Unfortunately they didn't have any CARGO's for me to try. Man that 5iM throws out some bass. It's like it has a built in subwoofer. The highs had a fantastic sparkle but the low end was a bit over the top for me. The neck felt incredible though.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:01 PM

Default down the road

Sounds like these brutes will hold up to climate and near abuse. I wonder if the resale price will be good after the demand and supply level out...that is if you would even want to replace a guitar that is so tough and obviously sounds really good. Who knows, maybe these folks will come up with composite strings next.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I think just about everybody here now knows how I came-about acquiring my charcoal Cargo about a month ago, and how I feel about this guitar -- it's just great, great, great! I agree with all the positive things said by the few others here who own one, or who have had the chance to play one.

There are cheaper parlor-size guitars and there are more expensive. Therefore, IMO, it's not reasonable to claim the Cargo is overpriced. It's 10x the guitar that the Baby Taylor is at roughly 3x the price (with electronics, at least in my case) and worth every penny (PM me if you want to know what I paid through Danny at Acoustic Pro Musicians). It does play and sound very much like a full-size guitar with the portability of a travel guitar, and without the worries of a wood guitar. I know of no other guitar like this that offers so much for its price. No, it's not cheap and many full-size guitars can be had for that and even less. But they won't have the quality or versatility of the Cargo. IMO, the neck has the profile and feel of a Taylor neck (full-size, but just a bit tighter) which I personally like very much. I find it funny that a few weeks ago I mentioned in a post that I wouldn't be surprised if the Cargo's popularity drove up the price. Based on a post here, that may be (unfortunately) happening.

I'm playing more now than I have in a very long time -- for me, because of the Cargo. Humidity is a big issue where I live, and with the Cargo, it stays beside me on my love seat recliner (am I in love with it, you bet -- my wife sits on the sofa recliner -- yes, I love her more! ) and I don't have to be concerned about it at all. I reach for it constantly when at home and its not because it's new or a novelty -- it's because it's always there and at-the-ready -- but most of all because it sounds great. The size of it, the way the back is contoured to fit the belly, I can even recline and just comfortably play away. I'm 5'-11" and the short scale doesn't bother me in the least whereas it used to with my (now crushed) Baby Taylor. I really like my charcoal, and think the wine (maybe warmer as mentioned ) and other colors are waaay cool. This guitar is just plain COOL! CA has a definite winner here!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6STRINGSTRUMMER View Post
Thats all I need to hear. I'm gettin one!
Obviously, I think you made a great decision! Now suffer with the wait! Seriously, part of the fun is in the anticipation!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I spent a couple of hours and played the cargo, an Xplayer, a X RT, a GX player, and a GX performer. The cargo had a more rounded to to my ears, and seemed quite full for itÿs size... it also felt quite heavy. I then moved on to the X RT because it was somewhat close in price. The X had more volume, but did not seem quite as rounded. Of course the full bodies, the GX player and performer were way better than both, but that is a class of it's own.
Howzit Brah,

Where did you test drive those CAs? Sounds like that dealer had a great selection of CAs!
I do believe those guitars would be perfect to combat the humidity we sometimes get in Honolulu.

Mahalo,
hnl414kce
Old 04-17-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMcG View Post
I think it was Acousticado that said he convinced himself that the Wine Red version was "warmer" than the charcoal
Nope, that was me. Acousticado had already ordered the Charcoal by the time that I showed up at Danny's shop west of Lufkin. So I had to find a way to justify the Wine instead of Charcoal.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnl414kce View Post
Howzit Brah,

Where did you test drive those CAs? Sounds like that dealer had a great selection of CAs!
This was at the Sam Ash located in Charlotte, North Carolina. They also had an 7M & 8M in stock.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for clarifying the extra $100.

Also, for those who note that you can get an all solid wood guitar for below that price, I guess the point is that I'll pay MORE for a guitar than wood if it sounds as good AND is impervious to climate changes.

Also, is the Cargo 3X better than the Baby Taylor in tone? well....performance increase is not propportional to price. It takes more than double the $ to double the acoustic performance. The higher one goes, the greater the gap between price increase and actual performance. So, if the Cargo feels 10X better than the Baby but cost only 3X more, that's a real bargain.

I expect that the 3 month back log will continue for a whole.

The GREATEST concern I have in reading these posts is the one that noticed that the two Cargos they tried were so different. if there really is a significant difference, then I'd be concerned that they are cutting corners in quality control to spit these out. Sure hope not. Per my conversation with CA factory, these guitars are supposed to be VERY VERY consistent, one to the next.

PTL
Old 04-18-2008, 09:23 AM

these cargo's are way cool, I hope to see one in my local music store some day!!!

side note: I think CA could do alot with the painting/colour of these beauties (patterns, designs, vivid colours etc). Charcoal is nice, but show me a wicked electric blue, or canary yellow, or maybe a theme guitar and maybe I'd order one online!

sky's the limit.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnl414kce View Post
Howzit Brah,

I do believe those guitars would be perfect to combat the humidity we sometimes get in Honolulu.

Mahalo,
hnl414kce
And the humidity here in Hilo is even worse! The dealer is here in Hilo. Great shop on Ponahawai street... Right now he has 1 cargo, 2 xrts, 2 xplayers, 1 gx player, and a gx performer(my favorite). They also may stil have a cot dred.

A string here, a string there...
Old 04-18-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post

The GREATEST concern I have in reading these posts is the one that noticed that the two Cargos they tried were so different. Per my conversation with CA factory, these guitars are supposed to be VERY VERY consistent, one to the next.

PTL
PTL I agree. The CA's being made completely of carbon fiber are not going to vary in tone like wood guitars because of the differing densities of wood. carbon fiber is consistant. May the difference in tone they experienced was due to older strings on one of the models.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
And the humidity here in Hilo is even worse! The dealer is here in Hilo. Great shop on Ponahawai street... Right now he has 1 cargo, 2 xrts, 2 xplayers, 1 gx player, and a gx performer(my favorite). They also may stil have a cot dred.
Gx performer is one of my favs too. I sold a sweet 05 Taylor 814CE to buy it. have not regretted it one bit!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber