The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-06-2019, 08:34 AM

Default W&S – Taylor 322 12 fret V versus 322 14 fret V?

This excerpt from Andy Powers from Wood & Steel about the two V braced 322 models kinda raised an eyebrow for me . . .

"With the V-Class architecture, there's more there – a longer sustain, more volume, more carrying power out of that little guitar"

"The 12-fret versions have additional warmth and sweetness. If I wanted to strum chords, that's probably what I'd choose first. It'll make those chords pour out of the guitar in a big harmony.

If I wanted to play some fingerstyle music or jazz or something where I want a vibrant, precise sound, I'd go with the 14-fret version. It's chime and articulation can't be beat."

When I tried out an V-braced 800 GA I was impressed with how accurate notes up the neck sounded where there were fewer competing frequencies to dampen the fretted note, but reading thru Andy's "marketspeak" I got the impression that the 12-fret notes will sound less focused compared to the same V-braced 322 14 fret.

Power's here has basically pronounced the 12-fret as the "strummer" model versus the 14-fret "picker". I can't really decide how much of that is useful advice versus pure and simple marketing speech. I have mixed feelings about that labeling as all my 12-frets are definitely "pickers" but who am I to argue with Andy Powers?

Have been putting my 322 on the hot-seat lately, listening close to decide if I want to let it go and find a 322 12-fret V. After reading this, I'm less interested in switching them out. I'll certainly wait to actually try one in a store - as unlikely as that seems since 12-frets are gonna be harder to find. . .
Old 02-06-2019, 01:04 PM

Default "Expert"

Ok, I'm sure that I'm going to catch a fair bit of static for this, but I never consider anyone who's trying to sell me something an expert.

Granted Andy has a lot of experience and is highly regarded, but he has a vested interest in selling his product.

What's interesting is that most people, those who express a preference that is, seem to go the other way. 12 fret is more common for finger style.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 02-06-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Ok, I'm sure that I'm going to catch a fair bit of static for this, but I never consider anyone who's trying to sell me something an expert.

Granted Andy has a lot of experience and is highly regarded, but he has a vested interest in selling his product.

What's interesting is that most people, those who express a preference that is, seem to go the other way. 12 fret is more common for finger style.
I think we're on the same page.

Let's face it, there are likely less than 50,000 humans on the planet who might appreciate the difference between a V braced 322 12-fret and a V braced 322 14-fret. He made the darn things so I suppose he's gotta say something nice about the two to promote them. I'd have to compare the two in the same room to buy the argument that the 14 fret is going to do fingerstyle the way I like to hear it.

But on the other hand, I kinda wish other guitar brands were as adventurous in expanding their models to what are basically niche specs.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:29 AM

I agree that its probably just marketing bilge but my take from that quote is that the 12-fret will be warmer/darker and so better for strumming while the 14-fret will be brighter/more defined and so better for fingerpicking. This is in contrast with the usual view of a 12-fret being physically more intimate and therefore better for fingerpicking.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

I like the physical playing comfort Taylor 14-fret guitars afford a player versus the 12-fret versions of the same models. The 14-fretter fingerboards feel less cramped-up when playing. The 12-fret models, however, are now in vogue.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion