The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 12:12 PM

Default Shipping During Single Digit Temps?

I got a "buy it now" used Cordoba off ebay on the 11th. Usually I am cautious about buying and getting a guitar shipped during extreme temps, hot or cold. I thought I was fairly safe in getting my guitar before extreme cold set in. That is before the USPS shipping "service" begun.

The NY guitar dealer got it out to USPS that same day, the 11th. 2 days later, on the 13th, it arrives in NJ. 4 days later, the 17th, it reaches the USPS facility in my state of NC, about 3 hrs away from my home. It seems to sit there for 2 days. On the the 20th, I get notified that my guitar has traveled to the state of South Carolina, and is the Greenville distribution center 2 hours away from my home, where I awoke this morning with 7 degree temp.

My fear is that the guitar has been sitting in the back of trucks overnight, in a box, no case, with some single digit temps. Sorry for the long travelogue to get to my simple question. Is there any reason to be concerned? I will leave it in box for 8 hours, but was worrying about structural damage while in low humidity conditions. I guess while boxed the RH wouldn't vary that much, correct?

Last edited by elderdawg; 01-21-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:45 PM

There is reason to be concerned but you can help by being careful in getting the guitar to room temperature. I received a guitar from Colorado to north Georgia in the middle of winter last year and once it arrived, I brought it into a garage for 12 hours, a cool hallway for 12 hours, room temperature in the box for 12 then opened.

Google around, others probably have different durations but it worked for me.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:50 PM

Best to let it sit at least 24 hours before opening the box!

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 01-21-2019, 01:17 PM

Very cold temperatures won't necessarily hurt your guitar. Once it is frozen the wood cannot release moisture and dry out further. The issue is letting the guitar re-warm to room temperature slowly - like 12-24 hours before taking it out of the box - so that the finish can expand with the wood. Then start humidifying it, because it probably will have dried some in the shipping process.

Sorry that it is taking so long to get to you. You could have walked it home in that amount of time!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion