The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Default SR (Schertler) Technologies Jam 150 Plus owners??

Just purchased one of these here on the AGF. Looking for comments and feedback (hopefully not! LOL!!) if you own one or have played through one.

I had seen these in a local DFW guitar shop called The Guitar Sanctuary and was quite taken with the appearance of the wood ones, which is what I am getting. Looks like it's great for both acoustic guitar as well as vocals.

Anyway, chime in if you have any comments either positive or negative. I'm sure I'll enjoy getting it. I currently have a relatively new Fishman Loudbox 100 Artist, and wondering if I'll keep that or let it go based on how much I like the Jam 150.

Thanks in advance,
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80

Last edited by jwhelan56; 12-20-2016 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Title change
Old 12-20-2016, 10:16 AM

Hey Jim, congrats on the new amp!
I have the Schertler Jam 150 which is the just the later version of the one you bought. I love it, it's an awesome sounding amp. I also have the Jam 100 and run them in stereo and they sound great. Of course, your guitars and pick-ups will contribute but I've tried the amps with several pick-ups and guitars and they always sound great!
Let us know how you like it once you've had some tie with it.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret-O'File View Post
Hey Jim, congrats on the new amp!
I have the Schertler Jam 150 which is the just the later version of the one you bought. I love it, it's an awesome sounding amp. I also have the Jam 100 and run them in stereo and they sound great. Of course, your guitars and pick-ups will contribute but I've tried the amps with several pick-ups and guitars and they always sound great!
Let us know how you like it once you've had some tie with it.
Glad to hear!! I have a mix of pickups in my acoustics with Fishman and Baggs. It'll be interesting to give them all a test drive through this new amp!
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 12-20-2016, 11:53 AM

I own two now (I used to have one + a SR technology club 150)

Those are great amps. They are the warmest I've ever had (used to own Marshall, AS50R, AER compact 60, Bose L1mII). However I like Fishman amps a lot too. Not as warm but probably better in live condition.

The main drawbacks of these amps are the mixers:

As Massimo Brizi wrote me when the company was still existing the impedance inputs are:
XLR MIC IN: 600ohm
JACK MIC IN: 10kohm
JACK LINE IN HIGH: 47kohm
JACK LINE IN LOW: 22kohm
RCA LINE IN: 10kohm

Non sens, I tried my best to convince him to higher by sending him all the inputs impedances of all the amps on the market I could find. I was very pleased when the JAM 100 came out with 1 Mohms (I am sure we were many people writting about that issue to Massimo back then).

So basically a dynamic mic always sound a bit weak on those inputs (and you have no gain pot!!!) and you can not plug a K&K passive pickup in that (47kohms jack HIGH). If you have a duo playing, one must have an external or onboard preamp but most electric-acoustic guitar do nowadays. SR technology did not provide pickup preamps because then the amp would be in direct competition with Schertler David and Unico that they were also partially producing.

When you know that, it's just one of the best sounding amp for low end lovers (and it was very cheap in Europe, especially if you bought them straight from Italy). I once measured the spectrum with true RTA and it was very flat.

Note that it's not very powerfull, since it takes a lot of energy to get air moving around 50Hz.

What I also like is that it is all analog and discrete component based (see picture below from someone who was selling a broken one)

It's not CMS so it's fully servicable. You can also see that you have a real fullsize transformer. Loudspeakers are italian made SICAs (same brand as the AER compact 60). They don't make them anymore since SICA improved the speaker and it is now rated 200W.

Fishman preamp is definitely more convenient for guitarists.

Note that ACUS and Shertler JAM nowadays are smaller in size so they probably don't have the same air mass inside and weaker low end. It's pretty obvious on the ACUS 8 which is definitely smaller.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification