The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Default Yamaha Acoustic Stomp

I am playing my Olson SJ with a K and K mini thru a Baggs Para DI right into the house system with great results. My number 2 is a Goodall Royal Hawaiian with a K and K mini same set up into the house also with great results. I recently got a AG Stomp and thought it could give me some reverb etc to spice up the flavor. Seems to sound bad to my ear but it may be me. Are there any settings that work great with the AG stomp? Or would I be better to use my HBE CPR and a good quality dely/reverb/chorus? What chorus pedal do you guys like the best for acoustic. My electric pedalboard has a fulltone trem and fat boost along with 2 compressors but no chorus or delay. It also has one of the van amps reverb pedals. I could go thru the pedalboard and then hit the baggs and on to the sound system. Any input would be helpful. Thanks
Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 AM

Without feedback I am going into an unkown territory of using electric guitar effects with my acoustic guitar. I bought a Cmat-Mods Waterbox Chorus and will try that with my other electric rig pedals into a baggs DI into the house. I will post the results in a week or so. Its worth a try and the chorus was less expensive than some of the multi effects acoustic pedals out in the market place I have seen.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

I've tried some multi-effects over the years, but mostly ended up only using chorus and reverb. On some I tinker with the attack and decay settings, but I found myself trying to make the amplified piezo sound more open and natural.

I have since gotten away from chorus because unless you run a dual signal, one clean and the other w/ effect, the guitar has the modulation that sound pitchy to me.

I also use a Para DI and have since bought a nice delay (TC Electronics) that has a modulated delay. I set a minimal effect and use reverb on the house sound. The combo opens the tone and adds a resonance to a otherwise dry amplified tone. Why I like the modulated delay versus chorus, is that the delay allows the tone to begin with a "un-effected" or fundamental note that is followed instantly with the modulation. So it emulates an acoustic tone where the note is struck, hearing the fundamental, then decaying with modulated tone.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:38 AM

I got the CmatMods Waterbox going last night and really like it. Just a great pedal with many useable settings. I was going to get a Red Witch but as a worship leader didn't feel like having to deal with the witch stuff sooooo.

The Waterbox was $199 and just good solid quaility with nothing not to like. For me having been on the hunt for a chorus to replace my Leslie speaker for many years the Waterbox seems to be it. I am going to take it to band practice today and give it a try with the band. Reviews of that forthcoming.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:50 PM

I owned an AG Stomp years ago and also couldn't get a good sound out of it. Even with minimal effects, everything came out with a very digital tone. I no longer use any effects for acoustic but I would recommend using a good analog delay (Boss DM-2/3 or MXR CC) in the effects loop of the PADI.
Fender CS 51 Nocaster
Fender AV65 Jazzmaster
Old 10-16-2011, 01:14 PM

I can't get a good sound out of it either. The new pedalboard really worked well at my church gig. The Cmat-Mods chorus is excellent.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:14 PM

I've been using a Yamaha AG Stomp for quite a while with my Martin HD-35. I fiddled with it initially and decided I liked preset P11, which adds, as I recall, some chorus, flange and echo/delay. I also use it in stereo mode, and amplify it that way as well - that may make a difference...

Anyway, it is certainly not a natural guitar sound - but I kind of liked it. However, I got a Fishman Aura pedal (for my Taylor NS24ce) and tried dialing it in for my Martin, and much prefer it when I'm doing solo work.

For cutting through the mix with a keyboard, bass, and drums, the AG Stomp is still ok. I use it in church every week.

Larry
Line 6 JTV-69 Variax, POD HD-500x effects, L3T speaker/amp; Taylor NS24ce (2010); Martin HD-35 (1992); Fishman SA220 amp (2010) Fishman Aura Spectrum (2010) Fishman Chorus (2011); [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Yamaha AG Stomp multi-effects (2002-ish)[/COLOR

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification