The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-26-2011, 04:20 AM

Default Poor worksmanship

Hi,

I have an electric that has a problem with the saddle.

A. There is a gap between the body of the guitar and the metal part.
B. The wheel (the one with the grooves) used to adjust the action is missing. There is something else there; a 'wheel without grooves' perhaps? This is my main concern as I've no experience with electrics and do not know if:
  1. this problem can be fixed
  2. whether I can still adjust the action?

Please help

Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Not sure if this is an exact match, but Stew Mac probably has the requisite part...http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...ctures#details
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-26-2011, 05:31 AM

From the pictures provided, I cannot see the gap you are indicating with the arrow. It looks like the same on the other side of the bridge. I am noticing the dust ring around each post. However if the gap is there, just remove the strings and bridge and unscrew the post out of the body insert. Then see if you can pull out the post insert, it may very well be a mis-match. Check the depth. If it can be inserted deeper, then you may just have to tap it down after re-inserting it.

Second, the bridge can be adjusted on both sides. Notice the top of each post has a slot for screwdriver adjustment. The sleeve or "Wheel without grooves" is just the bottom portion of the post that supports the bridge housing holding the saddles. Same on the other side, however it has grooves. I do not know why they would be mis-matched or this was intended, but in either case you do not have an issue with adjustment, just aesthetics.

However, it looks like the bridge has been flipped. I usually see the saddle adjustment screws on the back side toward the tail piece (where the strings attach) but this may be an issue due to access due to the tail piece and it is correct the way it is.

What brand and model guitar? Did you purchase new?
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics

Last edited by briggleman; 10-26-2011 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:38 AM

It is new. It is a generic LP copy. You're correct with everything you've said. Would you change out the "wheel without the grooves"? It also hasnt been set up yet but i'm a beginner and am unsure of my preferences...Should I get it set up? Or any other comments?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
From the pictures provided, I cannot see the gap you are indicating with the arrow. It looks like the same on the other side of the bridge. I am noticing the dust ring around each post. However if the gap is there, just remove the strings and bridge and unscrew the post out of the body insert. Then see if you can pull out the post insert, it may very well be a mis-match. Check the depth. If it can be inserted deeper, then you may just have to tap it down after re-inserting it.

Second, the bridge can be adjusted on both sides. Notice the top of each post has a slot for screwdriver adjustment. The sleeve or "Wheel without grooves" is just the bottom portion of the post that supports the bridge housing holding the saddles. Same on the other side, however it has grooves. I do not know why they would be mis-matched or this was intended, but in either case you do not have an issue with adjustment, just aesthetics.

However, it looks like the bridge has been flipped. I usually see the saddle adjustment screws on the back side toward the tail piece (where the strings attach) but this may be an issue due to access due to the tail piece and it is correct the way it is.

What brand and model guitar? Did you purchase new?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:02 AM

Yes, get it setup by a professional, and any decent guitar tech will probably have the correct body inserts or can correct the existing situation for a small fee. On my less expensive guitars, I usually perform my own setup, however I have someone else replace the nut with a graphtech nut. Really helps with tuning issues. The nut is where the strings lay at the headstock before they go to the tuners. In your case have the setup done only, get the bridge body insert fixed and then see how she plays and holds up in the tuning dept. Hopefully the guitar tech will lube the nut for all the strings, set the relief of the neck, set the action, intonation, and then you should be ready to go.

Have fun and do not sweat the small stuff.

Brad
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Old 10-27-2011, 05:45 AM

Thanks Brad,

What fee would be considered fair price? I've got an electric with a graphtech nut and acoustics with bone nuts, really helps, otherwise I normally use a pencil/pacer and write in the slots during a restring. Should I bother doing the graphtech change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
Yes, get it setup by a professional, and any decent guitar tech will probably have the correct body inserts or can correct the existing situation for a small fee. On my less expensive guitars, I usually perform my own setup, however I have someone else replace the nut with a graphtech nut. Really helps with tuning issues. The nut is where the strings lay at the headstock before they go to the tuners. In your case have the setup done only, get the bridge body insert fixed and then see how she plays and holds up in the tuning dept. Hopefully the guitar tech will lube the nut for all the strings, set the relief of the neck, set the action, intonation, and then you should be ready to go.

Have fun and do not sweat the small stuff.

Brad
Old 10-27-2011, 07:33 AM

Not at this time no, just get it setup and then if you seem to have tuning issues, I usually go for a graphtech replacement. I think they improve the tone somewhat and I have less tuning issues.

As for a setup fee, mine are done free when I purchase from my dealer. I have had them done on other guitars for around $65 bucks, does not include parts or strings if needed.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Old 10-27-2011, 12:09 PM

Hi Newbie,

As a generic LP Copy, bridges and posts are ubiquitous for those; the problem is the post diameter and thread pitch is not standardized among the copies. So yes, I'd advise taking it to a good guitar tech and having him simply fit a thumbwheel if he can (lots of spares sitting around shops), of if he needs he'll have to order you posts so you'll have a complete and proper set. This along with setup will vary as labor is diff across the country, but I'd expect to see around $75 smackers (not including parts) is completely reasonable.

Edward

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification