The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 PM

Default Greetings and ? about K&K with fishman pre

Hi All--I decided to go back to playing acoustic and doing a solo or duo act after years playing electric. Partly motivated by some hearing loss (never played that loud though). I've own 2 acoustics, a 62 guild f40 that I've had for about 40 years and a tacoma i've had for about 10. Never really played either on stage much. The tacoma has an undersaddle fishman with the onboard prefix plus pre and I just put an M1a in the guild. Not really satisfied with either.

The tacoma s a cutaway which makes me more motivated to make it work. I've be thinking of trying running the K&K pure mini into the fishman pre since the fishman pre has pretty versatile eq. Somewhat of an impedance mismatch but might not make too much difference. Anyone tried something similar? I talked to someone at K&K about the idea, but they couldn't tell me anything very definitive.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

The biggest question I'd have about doing something like this is how flat the response is in the electronics. The preamp for the fishman may have some builtin EQ designed for the UST. Or not. I don't know for sure, but it seems reasonable that it would be tuned to the UST in some way, and not just be straight gain. Whether the response on the fishman preamp would flatter the K&K or not is hard to say, unless you try it. No harm in giving it a shot. Even the impedance issue, which seems to dominate every discussion of K&K, is completely unpredictable as to whether, if it has an effect at all, will be something you like or dislike. You won't know till you try.

For what it's worth, I have used a K&K with the DTar Wavelength preamp, and that works very well. It produces a very hot signal since the K&K's put out more to start with than most raw UST elements.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification