The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-26-2019, 09:13 AM
The North American Guitar - Richard Poll's Avatar
The North American Guitar - Richard Poll The North American Guitar - Richard Poll is offline
AGF Sponsor

Default Welcome Taran Guitars...

Welcome Taran Guitars...

We are delighted to welcome Taran Guitars onto The North American Guitar roster of acoustic luthiers. We have been big fans of Rory for some time and are extremely excited he is joining the TNAG Team!

Set up by Rory Dowling in 2007, Taran Guitars quickly became synonymous with high-quality instruments played by amazing musicians, such as Martin Simpson, and guitar players throughout Britain and beyond. With 12 years of experience as a luthier, and a first class degree in furniture design and craftsmanship, Rory has a deep understanding and experience of both wood and lutherie process. This has led to stunning and innovative guitars, using the finest materials which have been hand sourced out over the years.

This deep knowledge of the variables that go into making a world-class instrument enables him to create unique, precise and perfect guitars for each individual client.

[Picture by Mark Alexander Photography]

A new development that Rory's guitars now feature a back bracing structure which is entirely new to not only The North American Guitar Showroom, but the entire art of lutherie. Taran guitars characteristically feature a cylindrical back profile, which makes the guitar feel deceptively small and incredibly comfortable to hold, whilst still maintaining both the power and resonance of a flat back guitar. In order to be able to hold this domed back whilst keeping the guitar as light as possible, Rory has designed the ‘compression braces’. These are hollow structures, inspired by the principles of archery, which through the specific design and choice of materials, compress the back of the instrument and hold it in place.

[Picture by Annie Wheeler]

Based in the East Neuk of Fife, Rory works from a bright, spacious converted dairy farm amidst the Scottish Countryside. The stunning workshop and surrounding space mirror the unbelievably high quality of craft produced here. The Workshop features a comfortable showroom at the back end, where players can experience the guitars, away from the machinery and sawdust.

Having grown up spending a lot of time on Scotland's west coast and being inspired by the beauty of his surroundings, Rory has named all of the 5 guitars in his range after Scottish peaks.

The Taran
The Taran is the smallest of the range. Just slightly smaller than OM, the Taran is a beautifully intimate instrument. Predominately a fingerstyle instrument, while small in body size, its voice is big, bell-like and powerful even to the lightest touch.

[studio shot by Sean Dooley]
Frets to body: 14
Body Length: 480mm
Max Body Width: 382mm
Depth: 113mm
Scale length: 645mm
Width at nut: 45mm
Spacing at saddle: 59mm
The Tirga Beag
The Tirga Beag is larger than OM in width and depth but not in length, making it feel very compact and comfortable for its size. The Tirga Beag is designed with volume and headroom in mind enabling it to be heard in noisy sessions, but with a full rich tone perfect for smaller audiences and solo playing. It is perfect for flat picking and accompaniment with good separation between strong clear bass and thick trebles.

Tirga Beag, pronounced ‘Chigora Beg’ is the little sister of Harris’s second highest peak. She faces northeast looking out over the forgotten ridges of North Harris and on to the plains of Lewis.

Scale: 645mm (25.4”)
Body Length: 495mm
Max Body Width: 402mm
Depth: 118mm
Width at nut: 45mm
Spacing at saddle: 59mm
The Tirga Mhor
The Tirga Mhor is Rory's take on a 000. This is a product of a collaboration between a master craftsman and well renowned musicians Martin Simpson. The Tirga Mhor is designed with an open voice enabled by the 12th fret bridge position with lots of 'spit' with its powerful attack. As with its sister model the Tirga Beag the Mhor has good separation across a very dynamic range.

Tirga Mhor, pronounced ‘Chigora Mor’ is Harris’s second highest peak. She faces northeast looking out over the forgotten ridges of North Harris and on to the plains of Lewis.

Scale: 645mm (25.4”) or optional Fan Fret
Frets to body: 12
Body Length: 510mm
Max Body Width: 402mm
Depth: 122mm
Width at nut: 45mm - Optional
Spacing at saddle: 59mm - Optional
The Oreval
The Oreval is based on the acclaimed Tirga Beag Mk II shape and has a classic Taran style. Stripped back detailing gives it an austere, clean and striking look. Its own unique bracing pattern and greater depth give the Oreval a big voice, perfect for noisy sessions. At home, solo, the Oreval offers a large dynamic range. Best enjoyed with something at room temperature…or chilled!

Oreval is one of the furthest west hills in Harris. Once, seated on the west side of Oreval in late October, we witnessed the most exquisite setting of the sun between the sheer cliffs of Stac an Armin and Hirta, St Kilda.

Body Length: 495mm
Max Body Width: 415mm
Depth: 125mm
Width at nut: 44mm
Spacing at saddle: 57mm
The Ulladale
The Ulladale is the Dreadnought of the range. This modified dread has a slightly pinched waist and its own unique bracing pattern helps fill the trebles and clean the bass. It works brilliantly as a 12th or 14th fretter, and with careful attention to the separation and balance across the range, the Ulladale plays brilliantly as a rhythm guitar and a powerful flat picker as well.

Frets to body: 14/12
Body Length: 505mm
Max Body Width: 406mm
Depth: 122mm
Width at nut: 44mm
Spacing at saddle: 57mm
We are so excited to start working with this world leading luthier and are excitedly anticipating the arrival of 2 guitars. For more information on Taran Guitars please do not hesitate to contact us on +44 (0) 207 835 5597 or email [email protected].

Have a wonderful weekend.
Ben.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:49 PM

That’s great to hear...

Rory is at the top of his game right now!
Old 04-26-2019, 03:03 PM

I am on his build list with a trip to Scotland planned for a personal pickup! To say we are excited by this would be the ultimate understatement.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I am on his build list with a trip to Scotland planned for a personal pickup! To say we are excited by this would be the ultimate understatement.
This is awesome Tom. Years ago, when I was building my shop and searching for all of the “build information” that I could find, I stumbled across a few build videos that Rory produced and put on the internet. I enjoyed them immensely, and Taran Guitars became a part of my education.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 04-27-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Wow!! So will you have been to Scotland and back before the next B.i.G. event??? I'm really intrigued by these guitars.... It would be additional bait to lure us all back to Texas (as if we needed any additional prodding!)

Congratulations on the upcoming build!

beth
Old 04-27-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Congrats to Rory on his joining the TNAG team! These look like very interesting and unique models--really like the lines.

That's awesome, Tom, that you're on the build list and will be doing a pick-up!

I'm gonna be in Scotland this summer for a week--maybe I can just pick it up for you?!!!

Hahaha--No you say? Probably won't be ready yet anyways...

Keep us posted on your build!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-27-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
This is awesome Tom. Years ago, when I was building my shop and searching for all of the “build information” that I could find, I stumbled across a few build videos that Rory produced and put on the internet. I enjoyed them immensely, and Taran Guitars became a part of my education.

Joel
Thanks Joel, he does seem like quite a nice fellow and the interview done with he and Michael sealed the deal for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
Wow!! So will you have been to Scotland and back before the next B.i.G. event??? I'm really intrigued by these guitars.... It would be additional bait to lure us all back to Texas (as if we needed any additional prodding!)

Congratulations on the upcoming build!

beth
I don't think so, he is starting in November and since we have never been, we want to wait until good weather which probably does not mean early Spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Congrats to Rory on his joining the TNAG team! These look like very interesting and unique models--really like the lines.

That's awesome, Tom, that you're on the build list and will be doing a pick-up!

I'm gonna be in Scotland this summer for a week--maybe I can just pick it up for you?!!!

Hahaha--No you say? Probably won't be ready yet anyways...

Keep us posted on your build!
Thanks, you are so kind to offer, but at this point, I think we will turn you down. We have never been and kinda want to see it in person, but you are great to offer hahaha. The trip was really just as much of the event as the guitar, if going somewhere once in a lifetime, why not bring something home to remember it by right???
Old 04-28-2019, 03:57 AM

Rory is an utterly fabulous builder. I first had chance to get up close and personal with his work at the Berlin show in 2017, I was blown away by just how clean and beautifully executed they were. He has a style which is totally his own and its nice to see his roots in furniture and design shine through with clever uses of colour and traditional techniques such as the 'hot sand fade'. Well deserved my friend! - Oh yes, and they sound rather handsome too!
Old 04-28-2019, 07:03 AM

Great to discover a builder I've not yet heard of. His work looks great and I particularly like the looks and apparent originality in the shapes of Tirga Beag and Tirga Mhor.

I've had the good fortune of visiting Scotland twice for work and can picture some of the areas I've visited as ideal spots for having a bit of an out of the way location for building guitars with a lot of fantastic inspiration in the scenic country.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:25 AM

So very excited to be joining the TNAG Makers. I've been fortunate enough to be friends with the team since its beginning, I watched it grow and represent the worlds best builders beautifully over the years. To be asked to join is a huge honour!

Thank you Ben, Richard and Annie!
Old 05-21-2019, 09:08 AM

Larry Pattis turned me on to Taran last week. Burning a hole in my pocket book’s soul.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Tom, this sounds fantastic! Let me come along and I'll carry your luggage.
Visiting Scotland is just that rewarding. Our ancestral grounds are just north of there, so I know you will enjoy the trip.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-25-2019, 01:47 PM

Beautiful looking guitars. Very impressed with the back bracing. A very innovative idea. Funny, I used to make longbows and recurve bows, and this never would have occurred to me. But it makes sense. Lighten the mass of the braces while maintaining the curve, and I am sure, increasing the responsiveness of the back. Ya never know what you're gonna learn on the AGF.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Love the back strut system ... very cool indeedy!
Old 05-25-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Smile Go Tom!!!

Quote:
Woohoo! A trip to Scotland sounds awesome, and coming home with one of these even more so!!!

Have fun

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop