The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-01-2012, 11:15 PM

Default Countdown until I can play guitar

After battling health issues for over a year I still need rest (again) to heal (hopefully) completely. It will be until the end of June (211 days). I will work on theory and listening to more tunes. How did you guys cope with not being able to play?

On a side note how many songs do you have on your ipod?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:00 AM

I had an 18 month break due to injuries. It was a rough time but I thought I'd have to give up playing altogether. Now that I'm able to play again it just increases the joy of playing.

Take it slow and careful when you get back to your guitar and enjoy!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMorley1000 View Post
After battling health issues for over a year I still need rest (again) to heal (hopefully) completely. It will be until the end of June (211 days). I will work on theory and listening to more tunes. How did you guys cope with not being able to play?

On a side note how many songs do you have on your ipod?
Hi John...
I pray you get better even sooner than you expect! I've never had to cope with not being able to play.

I have less songs on my iPod/iPad or iPhone than on my computer (which has around 5000).

I only load the ones on it I'm going to specifically listen to regularly, and with Pandora and other streaming services available, I'm less tempted to put music on the iPod/iPhone/iPad than ever.

In fact I've not bought a CD or downloaded an album in quite a while. Steaming seems to be where carry-around music is headed (even computer based music).

On Pandora I have 'channels' dedicated to the artists I enjoy and it's fun hearing them presented in a radio station style; and Pandora is pretty good at playing other artists of similar styles too.

How about on your iPod?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-02-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
How about on your iPod?
I have around 1000.

Thanks for the support! I guess the good that's come of this is now I know alot more about healthy playing technique and can help prevent others from gettin similar issues.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

John, there have been several times when I have been unable to play for lengths of time; I think that 3 months was the longest... at the same time, I was unable to play golf, either. I had to deal with having my 2 favorite pastimes "off limits"!

It wasn't easy to get through, but I took a page out of sport psychologist Dr. Bob Rotella's work; for those times when I thought about golf and the guitar, I MADE CERTAIN that I was thinking about playing great, feeling great when I played, recalling effortless periods when the notes and the shots just flowed, when new songs came to me, easily... in short, I focused upon the best of my experience with each of those two endeavors... and if I could not think about them positively and joyfully, I DID NOT ALLOW MYSELF to think about them!

It took a lot of discipline, but when I came back (to both), I just fell right into it; it was like I never left!

Best wishes for your speedy recovery!

play (and think!) on.........................................>

John
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-02-2012, 01:47 PM

Thanks Lewis and jseth!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write