The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Default anyone played the 2019 Martin Deluxe series?(many changes)

from advertisement:
The 000-28 Modern Deluxe represents a new spin on a timeless classic: the Martin Vintage. The 000-28 Modern Deluxe features a Sitka spruce Vintage Tone System (VTS) top with East Indian rosewood back and sides with flamed maple binding, delivering the kind of tone and projection that has won over countless players. Additional high-end appointments include a dovetail neck joint and natural protein glue construction that enhance and support the aged tone of this seminal acoustic. An ultra-modern 2-way titanium truss rod makes the neck incredibly easy to adjust and is 64% lighter than a traditional truss rod.

sounds like a lot of neat changes in a positive direction. love to get hands on with the 000.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX4sMX4zma0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQEVQJTkK9M

Last edited by darylcrisp; 01-14-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:04 AM

There was a semi-contentious thread about this new product line from Martin a few days ago, but what drove the controversy wasn’t the new guitars themselves, but a comment at the very end of the article that some chose to see as an attack on another guitar company. Much indignation ensued.

Personally, I look forward to trying out some of these new Martin Deluxe guitars for myself, and shall do so at the first opportunity.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-15-2019, 09:33 AM

I found the referenced article very interesting. And I think it speaks to OP's question. Based on the article, I have no doubt some people have been playing at least some of the changes for a few years now in their Custom Shop guitars. The interesting question is whether or not the owners of those guitars realize(d) they got (and are playing) a guitar with a titanium truss rod in the neck, a carbon fiber bridge plate, or have the Liquid Metal brand bridge pins, etc.

The Martin rep in the article stated how the innovative changes have been tried out in the Custom Shop for a few years now. So the question is, did those ordering a custom shop guitar know they could request a titanium truss rod, carbon fiber bridge plate, Liquid Metal pins, etc? If customers didn't know the options existed, they couldn't request them. Maybe some people were aware Martin had some new build options they wanted to try out and went ahead and ordered that spec. Who knows until we hear from them. I ordered my CS guitar in February of 2018 and had no idea those options existed. The guitar sounds great. Maybe mine was a guinea pig. My pins have red dots in the middle. It feels light for a Rosewood dread. Everything the Martin rep touted in the article. Haha.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:39 AM

I think they just mean their custom shop has been building prototypes and experimenting with these options for a while, not that they are on customers ordered guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
I found the referenced article very interesting. And I think it speaks to OP's question. Based on the article, I have no doubt some people have been playing at least some of the changes for a few years now in their Custom Shop guitars. The interesting question is whether or not the owners of those guitars realize(d) they got (and are playing) a guitar with a titanium truss rod in the neck, a carbon fiber bridge plate, or have the Liquid Metal brand bridge pins, etc.

The Martin rep in the article stated how the innovative changes have been tried out in the Custom Shop for a few years now. So the question is, did those ordering a custom shop guitar know they could request a titanium truss rod, carbon fiber bridge plate, Liquid Metal pins, etc? If customers didn't know the options existed, they couldn't request them. Maybe some people were aware Martin had some new build options they wanted to try out and went ahead and ordered that spec. Who knows until we hear from them. I ordered my CS guitar in February of 2018 and had no idea those options existed. The guitar sounds great. Maybe mine was a guinea pig. My pins have red dots in the middle. It feels light for a Rosewood dread. Everything the Martin rep touted in the article. Haha.
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 01-15-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

What I find exciting is that you get a VTS top, Adi bracing ...which are nice performance related enhancements in a guitar priced similar to the standard series. Then add the titanium truss rod, liquid metal bridge pins and neck shape ....to create a lot of value in a Martin. Seems like a very appealing set of features in a few very desirable models.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-15-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
What I find exciting is that you get a VTS top, Adi bracing ...which are nice performance related enhancements in a guitar priced similar to the standard series. Then add the titanium truss rod, liquid metal bridge pins and neck shape ....to create a lot of value in a Martin. Seems like a very appealing set of features in a few very desirable models.
Now they just need to release one with a cutaway

I can't live without a cutaway!
Old 01-15-2019, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
Now they just need to release one with a cutaway

I can't live without a cutaway!
You and me both! But maybe this is the first wave and a cutaway version can be had at some point if this model sells like I think it might?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-15-2019, 12:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Looking forward to trying these at NAMM. Probably not fair to expect to hear any subtle refinements in that space, however.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:02 PM

I'm looking forward to trying one of these out when they hit the local stores. Looks like some interesting features have been packaged together.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasinaz View Post
I'm looking forward to trying one of these out when they hit the local stores. Looks like some interesting features have been packaged together.
I agree. I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool Martin fan, but could definitely see clearing a space in my cabin for a D-28 Modern Deluxe....
Old 01-15-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post

I received my Custom Shop D28 with VTS Sitka Adi GE braces last week. Mine also came with red dot on the pins. It felt marginally lighter compared to my Collings which is already built lighter than the standard models. Both are rosewood dreads. Like you said, who knows. haha. I probably would have ordered this for a couple hundred dollars more.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 01-15-2019, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Martin's marketing-speak is getting comical.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

These changes sound like good things to me. But the first thing I would want is these improvements on an HD-28, but that is not available. It's a shame if Martin is going to upgrade their guitars that they have picked only four models to apply the improvements to. I don't quite fathom why they aren't making these changes across the entire standard line of guitars, including the H versions of the guitars. It's not like these changes are going to change the building and assembly methods significantly out in the plant very much.

I love my Martin guitars, but I am often frustrated by the glacial pace of their willingness to make improvements. The management people need a real dose of fear to get their act together. I'm sure it's fear that has motivated their choice for making these improvements offered on only these four models. When they have been putting these changes out for a while on Custom Shop instruments, you'd think that there would be limited risk in going for the gold here.

They must not feel that there is any hurry here. To me, taking advantage of business opportunities is always about a sense of urgency. That's how I ran things when I was in the design business. But I never see any indication of a sense of urgency from Martin. Maybe they have all the business they can handle.

- Glenn
Old 01-15-2019, 11:08 PM

Well... they HAVE been in business for 186 years so it seems possible their business acumen is reasonably good.

None of these changes entice me whatsoever since I won’t buy any guitar with a 1 3/4” nut. But it will be fun to watch from the sidelines!
Old 01-16-2019, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Well... they HAVE been in business for 186 years so it seems possible their business acumen is reasonably good.

None of these changes entice me whatsoever since I won’t buy any guitar with a 1 3/4” nut. But it will be fun to watch from the sidelines!
Interesting that you don't like a 1 3/4" nut width. I don't either, though I tend to make myself adapt. I even have a few 1 13/16" nut widths.

And yes, 186 is a long time to stretch out a business model...

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion