The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-22-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
The way I was told by old fart pickers...Cowboy chords=Open Chords/first position
I agree. Any chord in the first/open position that does not require a barre or a stretch past the third fret.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
In my scholastic pursuits, I learned all sorts of fancy numerical manipulations that I thought were going to propel me to the heights of human achievement. Impressive statistical models, numbers approaching infinity, even imaginary numbers. In my actual working life (bookkeeping, accounting, easy governmental auditing), I've never used a quadratic equation or approached infinity. 99% add, subtract, multiply, divide, occasional solving for X. Of course, you can't get to Mars that way, but how many of us are going there or even want to?

Steve Howe can do incredible things all over the neck of a guitar, but I'm not going to sit and listen to him for very long (solo anyway). Soon, I'm just longing for some Needle and the Damage Done or Heard it in a Love Song.
Great post, I can relate.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:54 PM

What about the real "cowboy" chords that Roy Lanham played with Sons of the Pioneers or Ranger Doug with Riders in the Sky,, , others too that play Western Swing all up and down the neck. So what are we referring to?
Old 02-22-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyor View Post
What about the real "cowboy" chords that Roy Lanham played with Sons of the Pioneers or Ranger Doug with Riders in the Sky,, , others too that play Western Swing all up and down the neck. So what are we referring to?
Even by the 1910s, the cowboy era was over. All that fantastic cowboy music of the 30s and forward, such as Roy Rogers, Ranger Doug, etc., is 100% nostalgia, with the music on steroids vs. the English folk ballad / US hillbilly basis of the original stuff... all of which can be played with open chords and the occasional capo.

I have no relation to the performers below, but found this as a great example of what it probably sounded like way back when:

Old 02-22-2018, 06:32 PM

A vaguely related event that I'll never forget (including a tribute) ...

A "non musician" friend who has gone to a better place now came to me for lessons because he liked to write music and was aware of his lack of education - figuring his writing must therefore contain errors (his thinking).

He combined cowboy chords and sophisticated jazz harmony in a way that I wouldn't have believed possible - it worked brilliantly .. like I'd not heard before.
Rightly, I think, I refused to interfere.

"Cowboy chords" are great voicings and have contributed to some of the most fabulous music of all time.
It's just a catchy name that should carry no disrespect.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semolinapilcher View Post
Even by the 1910s, the cowboy era was over. All that fantastic cowboy music of the 30s and forward, such as Roy Rogers, Ranger Doug, etc., is 100% nostalgia, with the music on steroids vs. the English folk ballad / US hillbilly basis of the original stuff... all of which can be played with open chords and the occasional capo.

I have no relation to the performers below, but found this as a great example of what it probably sounded like way back when:

Reminds me of me playing guitar today.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-22-2018, 06:47 PM

A bit of trivia:

Gene Autry was known as the "Original Singing Cowboy" and he was the owner of the first Martin D-45 ever produced.

Wikipedia: "The first D-45 was a dreadnought guitar based on the Martin D-28 with luxury ornamentation (the "45" designation) made especially for Gene Autry who, in 1933, ordered "the biggest, fanciest Martin he could". This guitar is now encased in glass in the Gene Autry Museum of the American West in Los Angeles, California.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:52 PM

youtube the four chord axis of evil routine. You may need one minor, but beyond that sing away!

f-d
Old 02-24-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
youtube the four chord axis of evil routine. You may need one minor, but beyond that sing away!

f-d
I read this a few times, wondered if it was someone without a full command of the english language....looked at the post count, read it a couple more times, and then realized you were using "YouTube" as a verb, like "Google", and now it makes perfect sense!

Isn't it funny how language is funny sometimes?

I *think* I found what you're talking about:

Since I haven't listened to the radio or pop music in like 20 years, I only recognize a couple of these songs, at first. At first I thought they were all the same song.....then I started recognizing lots of stuff as it went on longer. It didn't help that I had my browser minimized, so I wasn't getting any of the visual references.
1996 Rickenbacker 360 Jetglo
1996 Fernandes LA-85KK (L'Arc~en~Ciel "Ken" signature)
1999 Fernandes LD-95KK Love Driver (L'Arc~en~Ciel "Ken" signature)
1998 Ibanez JS10th "Chromeboy" (Satriani signature)
2014 Harley Benton TE-80 "Prinz"

Last edited by Billkwando; 02-24-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:52 AM

With cowboy chords and a capo you can play almost anything without learning hardly anything.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billkwando View Post
I read this a few times, wondered if it was someone without a full command of the english language....looked at the post count, read it a couple more times, and then realized you were using "YouTube" as a verb, like "Google", and now it makes perfect sense!

Isn't it funny how language is funny sometimes?

I *think* I found what you're talking about:

Since I haven't listened to the radio or pop music in like 20 years, I only recognize a couple of these songs, at first. At first I thought they were all the same song.....then I started recognizing lots of stuff as it went on longer. It didn't help that I had my browser minimized, so I wasn't getting any of the visual references.

Awesome video!
Old 02-26-2018, 10:35 AM

That video is hilarious. I think the three chord 1,4,5 song list would be virtually endless.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-26-2018, 04:33 PM

The music Halls Of Fame (R&R, Country and Songwriter) are full of people who got there using Cowboy chords and a trusty capo...
Old 02-27-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I, too, have heard cattle.

Would that be listening to moosic?

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write