The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2019, 09:24 AM

Default Opinions on H&D and/or PK Thompson Mahogany dreads please.

Just these two makers of you will. They're in my price range and seem to have the appointments i'm looking for out of the box. Liked what I've heard and read. Shared opinions on OMs from these makers too would be greatly appreciated. Looking for a general consensus. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:45 AM

Even though my H&D Crossroads is not a Dread, I just have to tell you what a great guitar it is.

I just go my H&D about a month ago. I bought it used ( I do not think I will ever by a new guitar again), it is a 2015 model.

I love this guitar! I love holding it, looking at it and most of all playing it.
I find that I am no longer reaching for my Collings OM1A-T. Which I never thought would happen!
Old 04-22-2019, 09:54 AM

I have a H&D TOM-R and it is certainly a superb instrument in every respect. The folks in Staunton have some magic indeed.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:11 AM

I owned a 2002 H&D TD-M dread that was, I’m still convinced, the best mahogany dreadnought I’ve ever played. The neck was a really comfortable C-shape, and I could play it for hours with no issues. Personally, I can’t say the same for some Martin necks that I’ve tried. For the price, I feel like you’d be hard-pressed to beat their guitars, quality-wise, especially on the used market.
I’m 100% an H&D fanboy. After visiting the factory, they’re on up there with the best people I’ve met through playing guitar.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the replies folks. Much appreciated.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

I have owned guitars by both builders, although none of them dreads. That said, they both make exceptionally good guitars and, both very nice to work with.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

I can jump on the bandwagon too... I'm a big fan of H&D. It was probably the first boutique guitar I ever played when they started building in the '90s. I was wowed, but I couldn't afford it. I never forgot it though. Now I've owned two... a custom all-Mahogany 00 and an all-Mahogany 0. I still own the custom and it'll stay with me forever.

I found the build quality to be impeccable and the customer service to be just as good. They're very easy people to deal with and quite accessible. One time when I called, Mark Dalton picked up the phone and we had a long chat. Amazing...

I was able to share with them a lot of information about what I wanted out of the custom build. I think that's a critical part of making sure a custom satisfies the owner. Their attention to detail is wonderful. Great guitars... great company.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 PM

I can't really add anything other than they are both fine guitar builders.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:03 PM

No experience of their dreads or OMs, but H&D have their own special body size, the CM, which fits midway between a dread and an OM, albeit with a greater body depth. It may be worth your checking it out if you can find one. I've owned my maple CM 12 string for about 15 months or so and would testify to what a wonderful shape it is. All previous superlatives re neck profile, fit and finish all apply here too.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:59 PM

I’ve two H and D dreads -

After the first one, acquiring the second was a no brainer.
Their standard 23/32 neck profile is by far the most comfortable of all dreads I’ve played.
My later model braz has a more pronounced bass than my earlier model but both are clear winners/keepers.
Excellent finishing all around - numerous videos online of their entire process are available.

Jeff Huss and Mark Dalton along with Kimberly take pride in their life’s work as their names go on the product.
First class customer service and support.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:29 PM

Of the one’s I’ve played, the Thompson is more Martin like. The H&Ds are great, but seem to have more mids than a Martin.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

..I owned a couple of Huss&Dalton dreads...I custom ordered one 20 years ago..Honduran RW TDR...I traded that for a TDM a few years later which I moved along shortly thereafter...both nice guitars that were only limited by my abilities...which are pretty good but i’m no Bryan Sutton....

...a few years ago I was asked to play at Preston’s shop as part of a Sisters Folk Festival event and got to play a bunch of the guitars there....exquisite guitars built by a small crew....in my mind a cut above Huss&Dalton...which is reflected in the retail prices...I found the light build of the Thompson dreads to be more to my liking as I like a guitar...even a Dreadnought...that responds quickly to a light touch...

....to be clear that’s a pretty small sample size to base my conclusion on and no doubt there are guitars made by both builders that would challenge my assessment...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion