The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragincajun View Post
First off this my my inaugural post on AGF. I’ve been a long-time lurker which is partially why I wanted to start this thread.

For some time, I’ve heard that the newer 000-18s were something special. I played one today and have to say that it lived up to the hype. Full disclosure: I love many various Martins and consider myself to be a “Martin guy” but I thought for sure my next guitar would be a J-45. That’s not so certain anymore. Living in Austin affords me the opportunity to play many amazing guitars, and that one was up there with the best of them IMO.

Anyway, just thought I’d share my experience and say hello.
Hello and welcome!

First off, I actually am very glad to see this thread because I have a 000-18 incoming! I wasn't able to play one first, but I have owned a 000-28 and it was awesome. I'm discovering I'm a mahogany guy. I had a wonderful D-18 and sold it to get my J-45. I love the J-45, but I tried to go the single acoustic guitar route and I just don't find the J-45 as versatile as the D-18 was.

So, I've ordered a D-18 as well. Two Martins are inbound and I can't wait to put them both through their paces. The question will become whether or not they push out the J-45. Methinks not, especially initially, but I am interested to see what I play more, the Martins or the Gibson.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I am interested to see what I play more, the Martins or the Gibson.

I am interested in this as well. A D-18 or J-45 will likely be my next guitar. Just not sure which one yet. I’m more or less a singer/songwriter, and as such, I’m currently leaning towards the J-45 for strumming and have the OM28 for fingerpicking. Only time will tell. Fortunately we’re buying guitars and not houses. They’re pretty easy to offload.

Grandpa's Washburn
Taylor 114ce
Gibson Southern Jumbo
Old 04-22-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I am interested in this as well. A D-18 or J-45 will likely be my next guitar. Just not sure which one yet. I’m more or less a singer/songwriter, and as such, I’m currently leaning towards the J-45 for strumming and have the OM28 for fingerpicking. Only time will tell. Fortunately we’re buying guitars and not houses. They’re pretty easy to offload.
I've said it before, but my D-18 was the best sounding guitar I've ever owned. Period. But, when I got the J-45 I couldn't afford to keep both. The J-45 has a vibe about it that is unmistakable. Makes me tap my leg and forget that I'm not truly a rock star. Love it. The D-18 is the better sounding guitar IMO, but I just grabbed for the J-45 every time.

I'm interested to see what happens this time around. I just got the UPS notification as I'm typing...it's at home waiting on me!
Old 04-22-2019, 01:11 PM

My 000-18 is superb! I have a Bourgeois coming Wednesday, so am a little nervous...more for the Bourgeois than the 000-18.
scott
Old 04-22-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I just got the UPS notification as I'm typing...it's at home waiting on me!

This makes time slow down to a crawl for me...Not sure if you deal with the same phenomenon

Grandpa's Washburn
Taylor 114ce
Gibson Southern Jumbo
Old 04-22-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
This makes time slow down to a crawl for me...Not sure if you deal with the same phenomenon
Happens every time my friend!
Old 04-22-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Hello and welcome!

First off, I actually am very glad to see this thread because I have a 000-18 incoming! I wasn't able to play one first, but I have owned a 000-28 and it was awesome. I'm discovering I'm a mahogany guy. I had a wonderful D-18 and sold it to get my J-45. I love the J-45, but I tried to go the single acoustic guitar route and I just don't find the J-45 as versatile as the D-18 was.

So, I've ordered a D-18 as well. Two Martins are inbound and I can't wait to put them both through their paces. The question will become whether or not they push out the J-45. Methinks not, especially initially, but I am interested to see what I play more, the Martins or the Gibson.
Oh gosh, now we’re all in for it (humor), but seriously, and congratulations, give those Martins time to acclimatize, and please keep in mind, oftentimes the left hemisphere of the brain can be too active and influence pure sensory perception, the latter which is free of judgement.

Of course I would have preferred you to compare several instruments of the same model to choose, because as you know, Martin doesn’t tap tone and grades wood by appearance, leading to variability in performance among instruments.

Nevertheless I look forward to your report.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Hello and welcome!

Congrats.......good taste
Old 04-22-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Oh gosh, now we’re all in for it (humor), but seriously, and congratulations, give those Martins time to acclimatize, and please keep in mind, oftentimes the left hemisphere of the brain can be too active and influence pure sensory perception, the latter which is free of judgement.

Of course I would have preferred you to compare several instruments of the same model to choose, because as you know, Martin doesn’t tap tone and grades wood by appearance, leading to variability in performance among instruments.

Nevertheless I look forward to your report.

I’ve got some initial observations, but don’t want to hijack the thread anymore than I have. Just coincidental that the OP was on the same wavelength as me lol.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
The first OM guitar was about 1930. It had a 25.4 scale and1 3/4nut with 14 or was it 15 frets to the body. Todays 000 shortscale 14 fret came later but I dont know when.

Thanks for the info...
Old 04-23-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
My D-18 arrived yesterday and this one is just as good as my previous D-18, and looks better honestly. What can I say? Martin dreads are cannons. We all know what they sound like, so all I can do is compare to the J-45.

I learned 2 things last night after playing both guitars. The first, is that my love for the J-45 is not unwarranted. I still think I prefer the J-45 to the D-18 from an enjoyability standpoint. The D-18 sounds like a piano and is clear, strong, and authoritative. The J-45 is woody, fat, and has more growl. If I had to make a comparison, I'd say that the D-18 is like a Strat into a Fender Deluxe Reverb amp without any pedals, just straight up clean and clear. The J-45 is more like a Les Paul into a Marshall, where you hear more thickness and fatness, more compression.

The second thing I learned is that my daughter playing her Taylor GS Mini is a force to be reckoned with! I have been complaining lately that my J-45 isn't a loud guitar, but even with the D-18 my daughters GS Mini just seems SOOO much louder in our little music room. I'm sure it is just that it commands the higher mid frequencies and has more projection, but dang it is obnoxiously loud when playing together!

My 000-18 will be here sometime next week, and I'm REALLY looking forward to that guitar. I'm going to play the D-18, J-45, and 000-18, for a few weeks and try to determine what works best for me. I plan to sell one after a couple of months, but I am not opposed to keeping all 3. I thought for sure the J-45 would be the one to go, but I've confirmed after a couple hours with the D-18 that my J-45 may just be the keeper....

Stay tuned. Once the 000-18 comes in I will do a proper thread...

(EDIT: One thing I realized is that I use Santa Cruz Mid Tension strings on all of my guitars. The Martin definitely seems to have lights, so putting the SC strings on might create some separation in the race against the J-45)

Last edited by Shades of Blue; 04-23-2019 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
My D-18 arrived yesterday and this one is just as good as my previous D-18, and looks better honestly. What can I say? Martin dreads are cannons. We all know what they sound like, so all I can do is compare to the J-45.

I learned 2 things last night after playing both guitars. The first, is that my love for the J-45 is not unwarranted. I still think I prefer the J-45 to the D-18 from an enjoyability standpoint. The D-18 sounds like a piano and is clear, strong, and authoritative. The J-45 is woody, fat, and has more growl. If I had to make a comparison, I'd say that the D-18 is like a Strat into a Fender Deluxe Reverb amp without any pedals, just straight up clean and clear. The J-45 is more like a Les Paul into a Marshall, where you hear more thickness and fatness, more compression.

The second thing I learned is that my daughter playing her Taylor GS Mini is a force to be reckoned with! I have been complaining lately that my J-45 isn't a loud guitar, but even with the D-18 my daughters GS Mini just seems SOOO much louder in our little music room. I'm sure it is just that it commands the higher mid frequencies and has more projection, but dang it is obnoxiously loud when playing together!

My 000-18 will be here sometime next week, and I'm REALLY looking forward to that guitar. I'm going to play the D-18, J-45, and 000-18, for a few weeks and try to determine what works best for me. I plan to sell one after a couple of months, but I am not opposed to keeping all 3. I thought for sure the J-45 would be the one to go, but I've confirmed after a couple hours with the D-18 that my J-45 may just be the keeper....

(EDIT: One thing I realized is that I use Santa Cruz Mid Tension strings on all of my guitars. The Martin definitely seems to have lights, so putting the SC strings on might create some separation in the race against the J-45)

I, for one, am looking forward to your future thread once you get a good idea of the identity of all three guitars!

Grandpa's Washburn
Taylor 114ce
Gibson Southern Jumbo
Old 04-23-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:

This is going to be especially interesting to me because I own a D18 and a J45 as you know.
My friend Lee has a stellar 000-18 that sounds wonderful. I have been tempted to go away from the D18 to that guitar, but I doubt that will happen. I would be getting a kind of "D18 Lite" with a nice short scale and a sweet voice. I would also be losing a legend. That, I believe, I would live to regret.
What I can say with reasonable certainty is that the J45 ain't goin' anywhere.
It's just too dang unique and too dang cool. It's the first guitar I play every day.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-23-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
That would require a Custom Shop order as the standard 000-18 nut width is 1.75”.
There are still a few rew 000-18s with 1 11/16" nuts in stores out there. Call around.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
This is going to be especially interesting to me because I own a D18 and a J45 as you know.
My friend Lee has a stellar 000-18 that sounds wonderful. I have been tempted to go away from the D18 to that guitar, but I doubt that will happen. I would be getting a kind of "D18 Lite" with a nice short scale and a sweet voice. I would also be losing a legend. That, I believe, I would live to regret.
What I can say with reasonable certainty is that the J45 ain't goin' anywhere.
It's just too dang unique and too dang cool. It's the first guitar I play every day.
It's crazy, but my memory of the D-18 is just about right on tone, but I grossly over estimated the volume of the D-18 vs the J-45. The J-45 is thicker sounding, and the D-18 is brighter, but only marginally louder. I imagine that the D-18 will beef up with mediums once I change strings.

This has been great for me, because it shows me that I need both, but it also solidifies why I kept the J-45 over the D-18 in the first place! The 000-18 is going to be my DADGAD guitar, and the D-18 "WAS" going to be the guitar I grabbed for jams because I assumed it was much louder than the J-45. Now I am thinking my daughter just has a very special GS Mini that is a loud son of a gun!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion