The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-16-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
The Matrix only comes in an active version (I believe anyway). I am just not sure how you are going to wire an active system to another active system? Maybe I am missing something.
I'll be taking just the Matrix UST (no preamp) and wiring its signal and ground wires onto the Artist preamp input 2. I don't know any other way to explain it.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

I ran into the problem of a bone saddle having variable density, causing an unbalanced UST once. Up to then, I thought it was probably just a myth, but apparently it can happen. But I'd say it's rare, and there's an easy fix if it does, just get a new saddle. So if you like the bone saddle, just keep it and see.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I'll be taking just the Matrix UST (no preamp) and wiring its signal and ground wires onto the Artist preamp input 2. I don't know any other way to explain it.
Yeah so it will be passive. That's what I was originally asking. I assumed you were just going to take the pickup itself. I thought at first you were going to write the whole Matrix system to the HFN active pickup.

A few years ago I went to a luthier and took a chance on him. He did some work on my Larrivee (installed a K&K and removed the Matrix) and installed a Schatten pickup on my bouzouki (was his pickup recommendation). I trusted him so I took the bouzouki to a show and the pickup didn't work at all. He had made a new bridge/saddle for my bouzouki but he had made it so thick that no sound was transferring to the pickup that attaches to the bridge. I contacted him about the mistake and he got mad and as a result, he kept my Fishman Matrix ust that he had forgotten to give back to me. I never saw him again but that one still angers me because I could have made that a passive UST at this point. Random story I know!
Old 04-17-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I ran into the problem of a bone saddle having variable density, causing an unbalanced UST once. Up to then, I thought it was probably just a myth, but apparently it can happen. But I'd say it's rare, and there's an easy fix if it does, just get a new saddle. So if you like the bone saddle, just keep it and see.
I’m hoping it works. Hoping the under saddle doesn’t hurt the tone at all.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 04-19-2019, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That makes the Matrix UST an active pickup if it's wired to Channel 2 of the Schatten Artist Plus 2 preamp.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-19-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
That makes the Matrix UST an active pickup if it's wired to Channel 2 of the Schatten Artist Plus 2 preamp.
My sentiments exactly. Really looking forward to using phantom power. Now, If only I had the preamp to play with....
Old 04-19-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Just to clarify my post above, the Matrix will be active once it's connected to the HFN Artist 2, I just meant that it seems as though Guitarluva is disconnecting the Matrix from the Fishman preamp making it just a passive UST. I was just trying to wrap my head around how you could wire two active pickups together but he clarified that in an earlier post.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Just to clarify my post above, the Matrix will be active once it's connected to the HFN Artist 2, I just meant that it seems as though Guitarluva is disconnecting the Matrix from the Fishman preamp making it just a passive UST. I was just trying to wrap my head around how you could wire two active pickups together but he clarified that in an earlier post.
I'm glad you clarified that as you had me a little confused. I guess I had you a little confused also. You just meant passive in a different context.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you clarified that as you had me a little confused. I guess I had you a little confused also. You just meant passive in a different context.
Yeah sorry, I could have been more clear. I want to do something similar but I just wish I already had a Matrix to use. I hate the thought of buying a new one just to use the UST and not the preamp.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah sorry, I could have been more clear. I want to do something similar but I just wish I already had a Matrix to use. I hate the thought of buying a new one just to use the UST and not the preamp.
Gray market Matrix UST???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fishman...cAAOSwWwBbgHa3
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-20-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah I hear ya. I wouldn't worry about rushing out and buying a new one just yet until some of us report back on what kind of an impact it has on the HFN tone (if any). Cosmo told me they would get mine within 2 weeks and that was 3 weeks ago now so I'm gonna have to send them another message on Monday for an update as I'm starting to get a little anxious.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah I hear ya. I wouldn't worry about rushing out and buying a new one just yet until some of us report back on what kind of an impact it has on the HFN tone (if any). Cosmo told me they would get mine within 2 weeks and that was 3 weeks ago now so I'm gonna have to send them another message on Monday for an update as I'm starting to get a little anxious.
That's strange, they are generally fairly quick. I know my buddy purchased the active HFN with the volume and tone from Long & Mcquade (another major Canadian dealer) and it took a week and a half for them to get it in and then ship it out to him.

I am at the moment considering a dual source with the Matrix/HFN or just leaving the HFN in there when I don't have the tonedexter or aura and then primarily using the Matrix/Tonedexter for live use.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
That's strange, they are generally fairly quick. I know my buddy purchased the active HFN with the volume and tone from Long & Mcquade (another major Canadian dealer) and it took a week and a half for them to get it in and then ship it out to him.

I am at the moment considering a dual source with the Matrix/HFN or just leaving the HFN in there when I don't have the tonedexter or aura and then primarily using the Matrix/Tonedexter for live use.
It is strange indeed. I normally do use L&M and I don't even remember why I chose Cosmo this time, might've been a few bucks cheaper. It could be do to the sudden increase in demand...who knows.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm doing now.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 04-22-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
That's exactly what I'm doing now.
Let me know how it turns out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification