The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-13-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I just read the manual and this appears to be the case. I imagine you could create scenes where the only change would be different volumes and/or effects levels or on/off and thus change that way. No tuner function on the mute and also only saves up to 10 scenes. Again, for something at that price point you would think there would be more functionality.

Maybe the guys with the D6-8 amps can chime in on functionality. The core function seems intuitive and powerful so it's just missing some of the bells and whistles that we're used to seeing in pedals although since this is mostly a mixer I guess we normally wouldn't necessarily have those types of things anyway.
I have a d68.
I guess i dont get this stompbox feature .
but the d68 mixer is pretty powerfull and the
d68 sounds awesome for guitar and vocal. i would
imagine this little board used as a mixer into
a qsc or bose s1 would sound stellar. great for a solo
or duo/ trio with minimum input requirements.

Last edited by varmonter; 04-13-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I have a d68.
I guess i dont get this stompbox feature .
but the d68 mixer is pretty powerfull and the
d68 sounds awesome for guitar and vocal. i would
imagine this little board used as a mixer into
a qsc or bose s1 would sound stellar. great for a solo
or duo/ trio with minimum input requirements.
Is the 'scenes' feature for saving EQ/effects/gain structures for different guitars and mics or different venues or for just changing amounts of effects? Or all of the above?

If all of the above I could envision using the scene features to change effects and effects levels between songs. So another words, in my case I would dial in the guitar and mics to the preferred 'standard' tone and save to a scene. Then I would create additional scenes based on that but one with chorus and then another with heavy reverb (shimmer), etc.

That way I could then use the stomp feature to get different effects on different songs. I do this with my Boss VE-8. I have a plain tone that gets used on most songs but then I have a chorus and a heavy reverb setting saved adjacent so I can footswitch back and forth as the songs needed.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

I think the QSC Touchmix's offer more for the money. No stomp but, I don't think I'd want that on my board.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 04-15-2019, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Is the 'scenes' feature for saving EQ/effects/gain structures for different guitars and mics or different venues or for just changing amounts of effects? Or all of the above?

If all of the above I could envision using the scene features to change effects and effects levels between songs. So another words, in my case I would dial in the guitar and mics to the preferred 'standard' tone and save to a scene. Then I would create additional scenes based on that but one with chorus and then another with heavy reverb (shimmer), etc.

That way I could then use the stomp feature to get different effects on different songs. I do this with my Boss VE-8. I have a plain tone that gets used on most songs but then I have a chorus and a heavy reverb setting saved adjacent so I can footswitch back and forth as the songs needed.
Yes it saves all so the stomp could work like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
I think the QSC Touchmix's offer more for the money. No stomp but, I don't think I'd want that on my board.
Yes the touchmix has effects and scene saving capabilitys. But the effects
quality ( IMHO) aren't in the same class as the d68 or even the ve8 for that matter.
Really quite uninspiring. and only accessible between songs.
Subjective I know. But im not a fan.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

So I just pulled the trigger on one of these. Probably won't see it until well into next week since we are on opposite coasts. I'll be sure to chime in with a full review once I've gotten it and put it through its paces.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
So I just pulled the trigger on one of these. Probably won't see it until well into next week since we are on opposite coasts. I'll be sure to chime in with a full review once I've gotten it and put it through its paces.

I only know what it is like from having the same mixer in the D6-8, but that is enough to know that you are going to absolute love it! Make sure you go for all the hidden pages (all easily accessible with double and triple knob taps). Expect to be blown away! :-)
Old 04-19-2019, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I only know what it is like from having the same mixer in the D6-8, but that is enough to know that you are going to absolute love it! Make sure you go for all the hidden pages (all easily accessible with double and triple knob taps). Expect to be blown away! :-)
I'm excited to get it and hope it's awesome. Assuming it is, this will replace the Boss VE-8 which we've been using exclusively for almost a year now. The VE-8 is really good but I still can't use a looper to save my life and the other feature - harmonies - is hit or miss for us with the occasional 'ugly' harmony sneaking in. So that combined with us starting to be able to actually sing harmonies ourselves means those two features are not really needed.

What is needed is a fully functional and feature laden mixer with more inputs and battery power. The VE-8 was very limiting with just the two inputs. So that was her mic and my guitar which went into channel 1 of the Bose S1 and then my mic went into channel 2 of the S1. So then we had no more inputs if someone wanted to join us on stage with another instrument or mic. My plan is to have different 'scenes' saved for the guitars where I'll have normal, chorus, and shimmer-type reverb at the press of a footswitch to change between 'scenes'.

This unit gives us 6 channels we can combine into a single input into the S1 and still have another channel left on the S1. Combined with a whole lot more EQ and effects options for each channel means I can set up separate channels for both my guitars, both our mics and still have input options. And although the VE-8 could be run on batteries, it meant using rechargeable double AAs. The Stomp X6 has the built in rechargeable which will be nice and then the bluetooth which is good although we already do have that on the Bose S1 as well.

If it works as I hope and as advertised it will be worth the price which is double the VE-8. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Methos1979; 04-19-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

What is needed is a fully functional and feature laden mixer with more inputs and battery power.

Amen.

You've been a big booster of the VE-8 which I also have and love, so if you end up replacing it with this new unit that'll say something. I just recoil from having mixer controls on the floor, especially for live performance. (I know you had exactly that with the VE-8, but I was the guy who didn't like accessing the hidden mixer capabilities with the button pushes etc).

But man for a simple solo guy like me, being able to set up with an S-1 Pro *and* a full-featured mixer, AC-free, that's the Promised Land right there.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
What is needed is a fully functional and feature laden mixer with more inputs and battery power.

Amen.

You've been a big booster of the VE-8 which I also have and love, so if you end up replacing it with this new unit that'll say something. I just recoil from having mixer controls on the floor, especially for live performance. (I know you had exactly that with the VE-8, but I was the guy who didn't like accessing the hidden mixer capabilities with the button pushes etc).

But man for a simple solo guy like me, being able to set up with an S-1 Pro *and* a full-featured mixer, AC-free, that's the Promised Land right there.
The floor aspect doesn't bother me since I'm assuming that (much like the VE-8) it's a set it and forget it thing. Much like with the VE-8, when I'm first setting it up I'll have it one a little table next to me tweaking all the various settings and then once I've got the tone I want then I should be good to go and it can stay on the floor after that. That said, unlike the looper or harmony function of the VE-8 that needs to be accessed during a song, the scene changing would be done between songs so the unit could easily be left on a chair or stand near you but I'll likely just keep it on the floor in front of me live. While I really liked the VE-8, I also had some issues with it with my X7 and it's also a little on the noisy side. Once it was determined that we would no longer use/need the harmony and looper functions, those limitations along with lack of extra inputs became more apparent.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:58 AM

I thought the same thing in that this stomp feature
is really not used during a song so it could be raised
on the chair. Also there is no reason you cant still use the ve8
for any on the fly changes in your guitar during a song.
I liked the boss effects when i owned one. Didnt like
the hidden menu thing. Let us know what you think
of your new mixer. post a pic of it next to something
we all know so we can get an idea of the size. Curious.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:22 PM

Methos, I will be interested to see your review. Do you know if this can be controlled also from another Source? iPad,tablet, etc?

I like not having to depend 100% on a digital connection since it might fail, but I would like to have the quick access on my mic stand to also adjust.

I tried the Behringer digital mixer, but way too many options for me and over my head. This seems more like a analog mixer in digital form. And battery powerred! Perfect for the S1.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Methos, I will be interested to see your review. Do you know if this can be controlled also from another Source? iPad,tablet, etc?

I like not having to depend 100% on a digital connection since it might fail, but I would like to have the quick access on my mic stand to also adjust.

I tried the Behringer digital mixer, but way too many options for me and over my head. This seems more like a analog mixer in digital form. And battery powerred! Perfect for the S1.
As far as I know it cannot be controlled digitally from an iPad or other source of that type, which is fine by me. I looked into the QSC Touchmix that many rave about but between price and it being just 'too many options' I passed. This system seems to be a nice compromise. Analogue-ish operation with digital efficiency. It seems to have the best of both worlds and with just the right amount of each.

After watching how the system is set up it seems like it will be intuitive enough to get up and running with minimal learning curve and have all the power and features I want and need in a relatively compact package with built in battery. I agree (and hope) that it will pair perfectly with the S1. Depending on how they ship I expect to get it sometime late this coming week so will likely not have a review until the following week.

I have a big gig next Saturday we're working up toward but I doubt I'll have it in time to use for that and will go with the known quantity, but you never know.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
After watching how the system is set up it seems like it will be intuitive enough to get up and running with minimal learning curve and have all the power and features I want and need in a relatively compact package with built in battery. I agree (and hope) that it will pair perfectly with the S1. Depending on how they ship I expect to get it sometime late this coming week so will likely not have a review until the following week.
The D6-8 was very easy to learn. And im not the best at this computer stuff.
But with the d6-8 I didnt have to call my granddaughter once when i got it.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:

I have a big gig next Saturday we're working up toward but I doubt I'll have it in time to use for that and will go with the known quantity, but you never know.
No iPad control. There is Bluetooth audio though which is highly useful. The menuing is highly intuitive. You would only need a few minutes with it to understand it.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
No iPad control. There is Bluetooth audio though which is highly useful. The menuing is highly intuitive. You would only need a few minutes with it to understand it.
That's what I'm banking on but it's not due to arrive until next Monday so I wouldn't have it for this weekend's gig anyway. As for the Bluetooth, I'm already hooked up to the Bose S1 Bluetooth so I'll likely just use that for between sets music.

Last edited by Methos1979; 04-30-2019 at 09:32 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification