The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-22-2019, 10:48 AM

Default HFN/ Fishman Aura

Hi there,
I have a Fishman Rare Earth Mic blend going through my Fishman Aura Spectrum. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the HFN through a Fishman Aura Spectrum. I have been pleased with the RE MB, there are so may positive posts re the HFN that I would consider trying it out in place of the RE Mic blend...?

Alan
Old 04-22-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmarle View Post
Hi there,
I have a Fishman Rare Earth Mic blend going through my Fishman Aura Spectrum. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the HFN through a Fishman Aura Spectrum. I have been pleased with the RE MB, there are so may positive posts re the HFN that I would consider trying it out in place of the RE Mic blend...?

Alan
I tried the passive HFN with the Fishman Ellipse Aura onboard preamp system, with the HFN wired into where the UST would go and it worked really well. I would imagine this would translate to the external Aura Spectrum as well since it's the same technology. I just found blending more than 50% of the image gave the typical "too digital" type of sound. All 4 images with the right amount of blend sounded really good to my ears.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I tried the passive HFN with the Fishman Ellipse Aura onboard preamp system, with the HFN wired into where the UST would go and it worked really well. I would imagine this would translate to the external Aura Spectrum as well since it's the same technology. I just found blending more than 50% of the image gave the typical "too digital" type of sound. All 4 images with the right amount of blend sounded really good to my ears.
I would expect the results to be similar to what I experienced with the K&K into the Aura system. Above 50% image, and the tone falls apart. Under 50% image and it can actually be quite pleasing.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmarle View Post
Hi there,

Alan
It's neat that a magnetic pickup works well with the aura spectrum! The first time I tried the HFN, I ran it through the session DI and the aura spectrum. I remember feeling as though I had found the holy grail tone. I didn't blend in a lot of the aura (maybe 20-30%) but it removed just enough of the piezo tone of the HFN to make it sound even more mic-like. I remember quickly abandoning this set up as the Session/aura set up was not pairing all that well. I am not sure why I completely stopped using the aura but I think it's because I started to notice a string balance issue with the HFN and started to focus on it.

My goal right now is to get the best sounding HFN install that I can and then start playing around with the aura/tonedexter. I still really want to try the HFN with a UST and then go out mono to something like the aura but I am not 100% sold on that yet. But yes, the aura will work well with the HFN.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I would expect the results to be similar to what I experienced with the K&K into the Aura system. Above 50% image, and the tone falls apart. Under 50% image and it can actually be quite pleasing.
Yeah I agree and I would've bought an Aura Spectrum DI if it wasn't for Tonedexter coming out when it did.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

After a week or so away from plugging-in my Martin D-18/Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2 combination, and doing so today, it's readily apparent that the HFN pickup needs some Bass-frequency supplementation to get a nice full amplified tone. My installation was made with the 3M VHB tape and is as perfect an on-location pickup installation as I've ever done. My intention is to order a Schatten LP-15 Insider and wire it to the second channel of my Artist Plus 2 preamp. Locating this pickup properly, through trial and error, should yield a more pleasing Bass response from the whole system.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification