The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2019, 06:01 AM

Default The right guitar for the song: three songs, three guitars

I am learning three songs right now, listening and playing, playing and listening, and have reached the point of play where I can focus on the nuances of performance, at least for the guitar side. Voice will come along later.

Townes Van Zandt's "Poncho and Lefty" because I wanted to learn Travis picking. Mark Knopfler's "5:15 am" because it has the rhythm of many country tunes I like, and the lyrics with the overlaying story lines are magical. And finally, Paul Seibel and Leo Kottke's "Louise," because I wanted to learn slide.

You can see my guitars in my sig, and here is how it is now for me. One for each song and why.

The old D18 does Louise, because for me slide sounds better on the heavier strings, and the song has some walking bass phrases that the Martin excels at.

The Townes song, Poncho, and yes, he spelled it that way, goes best for me on the Yamaha, and I turn on the transacoustic actuator to play it, set to 60 percent both chorus and reverb, so the picking really rings.

I'm strumming the Knopfler tune on the little Fender, and really getting into the dynamics of the song, with its soft intro and almost nothing outro, and its hard country-rock choruses, sort of Eagles-like. For all the movement and changes, I like the little guitar, for something I can wrap myself around.

Do you do this with guitars? Find the ones that seem best for tunes?

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 04-22-2019, 06:26 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I do something similar. My Martin and Gibson I use for standard tunings - blues, etc. and for dadgad and lower tunings I use my Avalon Guild D-120c and Larrivee.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-22-2019, 06:26 AM

I think there is something to be said for song/voice/guitar compatibility.
For me, I try to do songs that work with one guitar, other songs that work better with another guitar.

My back can't handle multiple guitars.

Last edited by Paddy1951; 04-22-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:56 AM

No. Never. I may have more than one guitar on stage, but it would be for alternate tuning, maybe a 12-string. But only one would be a sixer in standard tuning. And that might vary from gig to gig depending on my mood.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:51 PM

I totally agree. Guitars have personalities (tonality). Different tonality fits different songs. Yes you can use one guitar for all but you can improve your performance by using the guitar that fits the song best. Mechanics have both wrenches an sockets. Both do the same job but the job determines which one to use.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-22-2019, 02:00 PM

No, I make the guitar work for the tune. I don't let the tune dictate what guitar I should play.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
I am learning three songs right now, listening and playing, playing and listening, and have reached the point of play where I can focus on the nuances of performance, at least for the guitar side. Voice will come along later.

Townes Van Zandt's "Poncho and Lefty" because I wanted to learn Travis picking. Mark Knopfler's "5:15 am" because it has the rhythm of many country tunes I like, and the lyrics with the overlaying story lines are magical. And finally, Paul Seibel and Leo Kottke's "Louise," because I wanted to learn slide.

You can see my guitars in my sig, and here is how it is now for me. One for each song and why.

The old D18 does Louise, because for me slide sounds better on the heavier strings, and the song has some walking bass phrases that the Martin excels at.

The Townes song, Poncho, and yes, he spelled it that way, goes best for me on the Yamaha, and I turn on the transacoustic actuator to play it, set to 60 percent both chorus and reverb, so the picking really rings.

I'm strumming the Knopfler tune on the little Fender, and really getting into the dynamics of the song, with its soft intro and almost nothing outro, and its hard country-rock choruses, sort of Eagles-like. For all the movement and changes, I like the little guitar, for something I can wrap myself around.

Do you do this with guitars? Find the ones that seem best for tunes?
I know P & L, and Louise, and play both from time to time. I use my 12 string on my version :

Last time I played on Louise, I played Dobro as a sideman.

I generally take a 6 and a 12 string to gigs, As to which 6 and which 12 - depends on how I feel on the day.

I've got some solo gigs (i.e without the trio) coming up and I'm thinking of taking the National, as I like playing A couple of Hank Williams songs with slide.

and
Old 04-22-2019, 03:16 PM

You mentioned Mark Knopfler (who I think is great) and it reminded me of a songbook I have of his. There are only eight songs in the book and the first six or so pages are pictures of his various guitars and he explains why he likes them for specific songs. What a kick! Now we all just need a personal string winder and a guitar tech on call at any given moment. I may not be worthy of that but I get it and have my wishes!
Old 04-22-2019, 10:42 PM

So, when you learn songs numbered four and five, does that mean you’ll have to buy two more guitars? Or will the new songs have to wait until you can afford them?
Old 04-23-2019, 06:34 AM

While I agree that some guitars work better for certain songs than others, I find myself playing one at a time while varying the kind of songs that I play, so I tend to adapt the song to the guitar rather than the way it should be.

I wouldn't do this if if I didn't enjoy variety so much in my music. It's just a lot more practical to carry around one of two guitars than all of them.

That said, I find certain songs don't sound right without a 12 string, so I mostly let them alone if I don't have it with me. Same on the baritone, but not so much on my wooden resonator.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:07 AM

I play only at home for my pleasure but I do have a bunch of guitars and others six strings instruments as well as different string sets to get as many different sounds... Call me silly if you will... ;-)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Did most of my gigging (say 80%) with one guitar played everything from Gershwin, to the Doors

The other 20% of the time I would take a 12 string for the songs I liked for a 12 ,,,, perhaps 2 to 3 songs per set..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-23-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
I play only at home for my pleasure but I do have a bunch of guitars and others six strings instruments as well as different string sets to get as many different sounds... Call me silly if you will... ;-)
Not at all silly. All to often we get fixed on a goal and forget to enjoy the ride.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
Hey! stop using my name!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion