The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2019, 08:58 AM

Default New models - first year build quality?

When a large manufacturer introduces a major new line - let's say the Martin Modern Deluxe Series or the Taylor Grand Pacific - do they invest additional time, materials, and skilled artisans to the first models to hit the market?

Of course I understand a manufacturer of higher-end instruments must guard its reputation for quality control in all years of production. But doesn't it make sense for them to be especially careful with the ones destined to create important first impressions, i.e, leaving the factory in the first three or six or 12 months of introduction?
Old 04-22-2019, 09:26 AM

I would have zero concerns buying a new model based on your question, especially given a solid warranty from a reputable manufacturer.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I would have zero concerns buying a new model based on your question, especially given a solid warranty from a reputable manufacturer.
I agree 100% with that. But I'm wondering if there's a chance that first year (or first six months) models may be better than the average production models that follow them? Maybe a little more attention to wood selection, and who in the shop assembles them?
Old 04-22-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Potentially - its also possible that they figure out a few ways to make things better so the later models might actually improve - no hard and fast rule about any of this -
Old 04-22-2019, 10:17 AM

Default Hmmmmmm.....

I'll go with a new acoustic model from one of my favorite builders before I'll buy a "New" model from car makers.(had a few first hand lemons over the decades)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

FWIW I previously owned a Taylor 814 that was built early in the revoicing generation and one of the top braces came loose. I called Taylor, and long story short, learned that their early use of hide glue was problematic. I returned the guitar to El Cajon, and they removed the neck and rejoined it to a newly built body. I never read or heard about this issue anywhere else...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-22-2019, 10:21 AM

I work in the automotive industry as a manufacturing engineer. There are numerous meetings involving the manufacturing of a new product. This is done to make sure it can easily be built.

There are always some tweaks that need to be made later on to improve the product and process. But I would have no problem with a first year guitar.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 04-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Typically the models that get displayed at NAMM shows get some extra attention.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 04-22-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
I'll go with a new acoustic model from one of my favorite builders before I'll buy a "New" model from car makers.(had a few first hand lemons over the decades)
+1 JPD. First releases of cars can be problematic, same with software (which the cars use).
Old 04-22-2019, 02:24 PM

No worries. It is not like cars in the old days where you would avoid one built on Monday morning or Friday afternoon, if at all possible. Besides, even if the build quality did not vary, the organic wood that goes into them will be different for each and every guitar. On several occasions I have played multiple examples of the exact same model at a large retailer like Elderly, and chose the best of the bunch to buy. Even with carbon fiber guitars (where each one literally comes out of the same mold and is made with the exact same material) I have found subtle differences, mostly attributable to the set-up and cosmetics.

Each guitar has to be judged on its own merits; brands and models are only shortcuts to quickly get you in the ballpark. How many threads are there here with the topic of "my $400 guitar can beat up your $4000 guitar"?
Old 04-22-2019, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Based on my experience with technology and cars, I am reluctant to buy new form factors b/c of the risk for new bugs, issues, repairs, etc. I'm less concerned about guitars, but I still wouldn't call myself an "early adopter," since I usually wait for the first wave of product to roll through before I jump on board.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:06 PM

As someone who has worked in product design in various industries over the years, I’d expect the opposite to be true. There are almost always things that can be improved as one gets experience in the manufacturing of a new version of a product. If the product is well designed (and I expect a high end guitar to fall into this category) the changes should not likely be signficant - but until it has been in a production for a while, you just don’t know.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post

Of course I understand a manufacturer of higher-end instruments must guard its reputation for quality control in all years of production. But doesn't it make sense for them to be especially careful with the ones destined to create important first impressions, i.e, leaving the factory in the first three or six or 12 months of introduction?
I read somewhere that the V class guitars was already made way back around 2015, and it was kept under the radar in order to test how the bracing would hold the tops together. In other words, they already had a prototype going on for a few years, so I assume the bracing held well.

While launching the new concepts, they typically add a few features (like a LTD model) such as a rare wood, cool inlays, arm bevels, new finish to tempt you!
Old 04-22-2019, 07:05 PM

There have been a lot of modern “improvements” made to guitars over the years that may have seemed like a good idea at the time but didn’t work out so well in hindsight. Rosewood bridge plates on martins, plastic bridges on Gibson’s. All the stuff they are doing may be great - but you won’t know for sure for a while.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:19 PM

If anything I would say the first year a new line is produced would be the year they pay the most attention to. the manufacture wants to leave a good impression with the first people who get their hands on a new model. If for example, the new Taylor grand Pacifics were terrible (Which I know they are not) because Taylor put little effort into making them the first impression this line would make would be bad and few people would want them. The only thing I could see about getting a new lineup model would be bugs that have'nt been worked out yet and will be corrected in future models. But that's just my opinion

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion