The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-16-2019, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I doubt that a MIM version will happen. The Acoustasonic is priced to compete with the Taylor T5z Classic @ $1899. They are two flavors of the same guitar.
A very thorough and well done comparison here:

I have a T5Z Pro, and played a Fender Acoustasonic when they came out. The multiple acoustic modeling sounds of the Fender are impressive, with more choices than the one for the Taylor, but the Taylor is more versatile for electric sounds. The T5Z is louder acoustically, and IMO the build quality is better. As expected, the Acoustasonic's neck feels like a Tele, while the T5Z has a shorter scale length, more like a Gibson.
1968 Guild F-112
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Gibson Firebird V 2015
Vox SDC-33
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Taylor T5Z Pro LTD
Old 04-16-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I doubt that a MIM version will happen. The Acoustasonic is priced to compete with the Taylor T5z Classic @ $1899. They are two flavors of the same guitar.
I suspect that folks who'd simply like a less feedback prone acoustic-electric stage guitar would welcome a less expensive version of the AT without the mag pickup. You could still have the option of modeling different sized acoustic guitars to accommodate different playing styles, and the option to add a soundboard pickup for tapping.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:16 AM

If they switched the "body sensors" for the top to a humbucker at the neck they would have a much more interesting guitar that appealed to a wider audience (IMHO).

Ibanez AC240, Alvarez AP30, RK ROS-10, Gretsch Boxcar, Loar LO-16
G&L Tribute Bluesboy, Squier VM '72 Thinline Telecaster, G&L Tribute Ascari GT90,
Vox MV50 Rock, Vox MV50 AC, Orange Micro Terror, Vox cabs
Roland Cube street EX, Fender Passport Mini, Samson 308i PA

My Solo site -Updated 2/6/19

Our duo website - updated 6/7/18
Old 04-16-2019, 11:21 AM

I recently saw this review:
https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/re...nic-telecaster

If I played out more, I would consider one of these to replace my Taylor T5. I haven't been able to coax the electric sounds out of it that Taylor says are in it...
Old 04-16-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post

If I played out more, I would consider one of these to replace my Taylor T5. I haven't been able to coax the electric sounds out of it that Taylor says are in it...

If Taylor has a Road Show event in your area I would recommend attending it. They usually have a pro guitar player and in the past have always demoíd a T5z. Iím sure they would be happy to answer your questions. I have a T5z and the tones available are only limited by your imagination.
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Build Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
FOR SALE: Fender Custom Stratocaster
Old 04-16-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If Taylor has a Road Show event in your area I would recommend attending it. They usually have a pro guitar player and in the past have always demo’d a T5z. I’m sure they would be happy to answer your questions. I have a T5z and the tones available are only limited by your imagination.
Not to hijack the thread, but search for Wayne Johnson, Taylor T5Z on YouTube, and you will see what it can do. I got mine last at a Taylor road show, where Wayne Demoed the T5Z Pro Limited made for the 2019 events. I think the Fenders modeled acoustic sounds win on the Acustasonic, but the Taylor excels at electric sounds. Of course YMMV, etc.
1968 Guild F-112
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Gibson Firebird V 2015
Vox SDC-33
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Taylor T5Z Pro LTD

Last edited by seannx; 04-16-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but search for Wayne Johnson, Taylor TRZ on YouTube, and you will see what it can do. I got mine last at a Taylor road show, where Wayne Demoed the T5Z Pro Limited made for the 2019 events. I think the Fenders modeled acoustic sounds win on the Acustasonic, but the Taylor excels at electric sounds. Of course YMMV, etc.
Thats funny i thought the same thing.
Seems odd fender would be more acoustic
and taylor more electric. just funny.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:17 PM

Default Fender Accoustasonic Telecaster unplugged/PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post

I purchased one of the original T5ís when they came out. Fell in love with the build quality, beautiful koa wood and the versatility. That said, it never really sounded like an acoustic guitar to me and I ended up selling it. I now have the new Fender Acoustasonic. Gigged with it twice this past weekend, once as a solo and once with my trio. The acoustic modeling has come a long way but it did feel a little strange holding a Tele shaped guitar while crooning acoustic songs. For both gigs I ran straight into the PA, no pedals. Everything worked OK but I think it will be better when I can EQ The tone and add a boost when I need it. In comparison to the Taylor it is a much more acoustic leaning instrument.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Fender Acoustasonic Telecaster

Last edited by Ruppster; 04-16-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:18 PM

Iíve owned a T5S (Standard) for a number of years and I also own the Acoustasonic Tele (AT). They are both great guitars and Iíve used both in live settings with bands only. I donít play solo. Iíve used ABY boxes to send signals to both PA and amplifier. Long story short, the T5 is better suited for electric sounds and the AT is better suited for acoustic sounds. Not that you canít use either guitar for both acoustic and electric tones, itís just that one swings better one way and the other swings better the other way.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I suspect that folks who'd simply like a less feedback prone acoustic-electric stage guitar would welcome a less expensive version of the AT without the mag pickup. You could still have the option of modeling different sized acoustic guitars to accommodate different playing styles, and the option to add a soundboard pickup for tapping.
I would like this as well with the full blown
electronics package. i dont need mahogany
i wouldnt imagine it adds anything to the plugged
in tone of the AT. If they could make one in
the 1200 range id be there in a heartbeat.
Guess ill wait til one pops up used.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

I have had and used a T5 since they came out in 2005 and Doyle Dykes used to demo them at Taylor Road Shows. The T5 is a T5 - it simply has its own tone. Once you get that, it becomes easier to get tones you want. You canít coax a dread or auditorium sized acoustic tone out of a T5. You also canít coax a Strat/Les Paul or Tele tone out of the T5 either. It just is what it is.

The AT is a different animal. I agree with everyone that it is made to be more acoustic and most of its modeling is geared towards that acoustic tone. If you approach the AT like the T5, it will allow you to appreciate its own tone. It is just a matter of whether that AT tone is what you like or whether you still want to bring an acoustic or other electric along to fill the gaps.

Brian S from Taylor designed the AT at Fender. I always thought Taylor could have done more with the T5. I added a K&K to the bridge plate and used the upper strap button for the output, making it a T6. Before that I had installed an Element Active and used the same strap button. I think Taylor could have been more creative and I suspect that Brian S. Wanted to take the guitar in that direction and did so with the AT.
Great to have choices!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification