The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 11-22-2021, 10:28 PM
jdinaz jdinaz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,754
Default

Nothing nor anybody is perfect ! But boy are they getting close on some of the guitars. I had owned several RS guitars and silly me figured all CF guitars sounded like the RS, at least until I bought an Emerald. It sounded different for sure and got me to play other brands of CF guitars. Kind of a "gateway drug" if you will.
And I'm not fooled by the picture of Captain Jim with the "supposed" wood Taylor. I'm pretty sure he just put some beautiful wood on an Emerald !! Seriously good looking 814 Jim !
__________________
John
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-23-2021, 07:42 AM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Nothing nor anybody is perfect ! But boy are they getting close on some of the guitars. I had owned several RS guitars and silly me figured all CF guitars sounded like the RS, at least until I bought an Emerald. It sounded different for sure and got me to play other brands of CF guitars. Kind of a "gateway drug" if you will.
And I'm not fooled by the picture of Captain Jim with the "supposed" wood Taylor. I'm pretty sure he just put some beautiful wood on an Emerald !! Seriously good looking 814 Jim !
Thanks, John. You have to look close, but you can tell it isn't an Emerald by the center soundhole and the 90 edges. I like the tobacco burst on my 814, but the prettiest part of the finish is something subtle: the curly maple binding.

To get a fair comparison, I restrung the 814 and the X20 with the same strings, at the same time. Verdict: they are both a delight. Different tone, but each makes my ears happy. The Taylor neck is still the profile my hand likes best, but the Emerald is overall more comfortable to play.

I know this has nothing to do with a Sable (also a very nice guitar), but is about the wood vs carbon discussion. What can I say: I like guitars.
__________________
Some CF, some wood.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-23-2021, 08:32 AM
tbeltrans tbeltrans is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 6,508
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Thanks, John. You have to look close, but you can tell it isn't an Emerald by the center soundhole and the 90 edges. I like the tobacco burst on my 814, but the prettiest part of the finish is something subtle: the curly maple binding.

To get a fair comparison, I restrung the 814 and the X20 with the same strings, at the same time. Verdict: they are both a delight. Different tone, but each makes my ears happy. The Taylor neck is still the profile my hand likes best, but the Emerald is overall more comfortable to play.

I know this has nothing to do with a Sable (also a very nice guitar), but is about the wood vs carbon discussion. What can I say: I like guitars.
Nicely done, Captain Jim! This statement captures it all and puts the discussion of wood vs CF to rest. This is an acoustic guitar forum and that is what we are here for - guitars - we all like guitars.

Tony
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-23-2021, 02:30 PM
jdinaz jdinaz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
What can I say: I like guitars.
Yes, that's the bottom line for all of us I think.

I had a 814 deluxe home for a bit a couple years ago and I love that curly maple binding too ! Thinking about it, it was 6 years ago! Now if they can get that binding onto a CF guitar....and I bet someone is working on it.
__________________
John
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-23-2021, 04:13 PM
David Eastwood's Avatar
David Eastwood David Eastwood is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Yes, that's the bottom line for all of us I think.
Couldn't agree more!

Quote:
I had a 814 deluxe home for a bit a couple years ago and I love that curly maple binding too ! Thinking about it, it was 6 years ago! Now if they can get that binding onto a CF guitar....and I bet someone is working on it.
I wonder if anyone would get excited about CF binding on a maple guitar
__________________
The artist formerly known as eatswodo
1963 Martin 0-16NY
2018 Emerald X20
2019 Emerald X20-7
2021 Emerald Amicus
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-23-2021, 07:26 PM
tbeltrans tbeltrans is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 6,508
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Regarding wood and carbon fiber. My wife asked me bring a guitar into the living room this morning, to entertain her while she made breakfast. I brought out my Taylor 814ce. After a couple songs, I swapped it for my X20. A couple more songs, then the X10. Finished up with a tune on the X7. I asked her which guitar she preferred.

She is sometimes diplomatic. Her immediate answer: "The X20; it just sounds richer than the others."

I agree with her, but the 814 also has great tone. I really appreciate having the variety. Proof that I still play a wood guitar on occasion...



But, it doesn't take the place of a fine carbon fiber guitar.
Weeeeelll, don't feel bad about having an 814. They are darn fine gjuitars. I have a 912ce and a pair of K14ce Builder's Edition Taylors. Mine were all acquired since V-class. The 2nd K14ce was not planned, but came about in a trade. Never look a gift horse in the mouth...

The 912ce is a comfortable smaller guitar, while the K14ce is a favorite of jazz folks such as Mimi Fox. To me, theK14ce is sort of an "odd man out" model for Taylor and the 912ce is typical Taylor.

Tony
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=