The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-12-2018, 07:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Luthier Focus - Ted Åstrand

Luthier Focus: Ted Åstrand – Åstrand Guitars

Hi all, we recently did this Luthier Focus on our dear friend Ted Astrand.

Some reading for the weekend - you can catch up with all our blogs on https://thenorthamericanguitar.com/blogs/news.

Enjoy.

Ben

Ted Åstrand of Åstrand Guitars shot to fame in the luthier world back in 2013 with the arrival of our first Å-OM Madagascar Rosewood. It didn’t take long before his name spread like wildfire among the Acoustic Guitar Forum members and orders started to flood in. He is now one of the most sought-after luthiers on the planet and has a three-year waiting list, as well as recently becoming a father and moving his workshop into a beautiful new space. Let’s look in a little more detail at the Swedish maestro that is Ted Åstrand:

History:

Before pursuing the art of lutherie, Ted had trained in both music, art and woodworking. He studied a three-year full-time guitar building course at The Academy of Musical Instruments in Stockholm, Sweden (alongside luthier friend and TNAG electric builder Tobias Lindberg of TLL Guitars), under fellow luthier master (and TNAG builder) Lars Rasmussen of Rasmussen Guitars. He mainly concentrated on building classical, steel-string and archtop guitars, receiving his bachelor’s degree in guitar building and passing the tests with honours for his journeyman's certificate as a luthier.

Ted was fortunate enough to become the first apprentice under world-class luthier Jason Kostal at Kostal Guitars, after speaking with musical master Tony McManus. He traveled to Phoenix, Arizona to work under Jason to learn the approach of building a modern steel string guitar and how to voice a guitar for maximum responsiveness.

Ted currently creates around 8-10 guitars per year, with each part of the guitar being made completely by hand and with simple woodworking tools to achieve perfection both tonally and aesthetically. He spends an astonishing 200+ hours working on each instrument. From start to finish the instrument is built during a period of 3-4 months, only using the very best materials available and never rushing any part of the process. He is a one-man shop by choice which means that he is able to focus solely on creating the highest quality craftsmanship, tone, and playability.

The Guitars:

Ted currently offers three body shapes, all beautifully crafted and offer an incredibly wide and dynamic and tonal range.

1) The Å-SJ:

The Å-SJ is Ted’s largest model with a lower bout width of 400mm. It has a tight waist and a relative small upper bout which makes it very comfortable to hold and play, and perceived as being a much smaller guitar than it actually is. Tonally it is beautiful, articulate with a deep, loud voice. Overall the Å-SJ is very responsive and perfectly suited for the fingerstyle guitarist.

Dimensions:
Length: 510 mm
Lower bout: 400 mm
Upper bout: 286 mm
Waist: 232 mm
Scale length: 25.5”
14th fret neck joint

Here is an absolutely stunning bespoke ordered Åstrand Å-SJ in African Blackwood and Torrified Adirondack Spruce we brought into the UK back in 2017.

Here is what Ted had to say about this guitar:

"This is the first ever Åstrand SJ to arrive at TNAG and only the second one built so far in my workshop. It's a new model that has quickly become one of my favourites, I'm looking forward to building plenty more of these in the coming years. It has some of the finest African Blackwood I've had the pleasure to work with paired with a torrified Adirondack top. Apart from the rich golden colour from the torrification it gives a very full and matured tone. With the tonal attribute from the Adirondack and my voicing technique it gives a very versatile instrument." Ted Åstrand

Sound Board - Torrified Adirondack Spruce
Back - African Blackwood
Sides - African Blackwood
Neck - Graphite reinforced Mahogany
Headstock Veneer - Ebony
Rosette - Ebony with Sapwood
Scale length - 25"
Fretboard - Ebony
Nut - Bone
Saddle - Bone
Bridge - Ebony
Bindings - Ebony
Tuners - Schertler with Ebony buttons
Inlay - Silver headstock logo
Case - Hiscox Pro II

2) The Å-OM:

The legendary Åstrand Å-OM is one of Ted’s most popular models, an incredibly dynamic and versatile instrument that is perfect for the contemporary fingerstyle player, the acoustic blues player and also flat picker. Plus it is as light as a feather but packs a big punch volume-wise.

The Å-OM is Ted’s interpretation of the perfect mid-sized guitar. It has a slightly larger lower bout than a standard OM and a smaller upper bout for better balance and comfort. It is built for maximum responsiveness and is a great fingerstyle guitar.

Dimensions:
Length: 497 mm
Lower bout: 385 mm
Upper bout: 276 mm
Waist: 227 mm
Scale length: 25,5” or 25”
14th fret neck joint

Here is an absolutely breathtaking bespoke build Åstrand Å-OM in Brazilian Rosewood and European Moon Spruce with an Amboyna burl rosette, we delivered to our client back in 2016.

Model: Å-OM
Back&sides: Brazilian Rosewood
Top: European "moon" spruce
Headcap: Amboyna burl (so nice!!)
Rosette: Amboyna burl
Bindings: Ebony
End Wedge: Amboyna burl
Nut width: 1 3/4" (44.5 mm)
Bridge string spacing: 2 1/4" (57.15mm)
Scale: 25"
Fretboard radius: 16"
Tuners: Gotoh 510
Custom options:
Soundport
Backstrip

3) The Å-O:

The Å-O is a parlor size guitar and is my smallest model. It is responsive like all of Ted's guitars and has a very comfortable size and shape. It includes a 13th fret neck joint which places the bridge at the “sweet spot” on the guitar’s top, it also gives easy access to the 12th fret. This guitar offers great clarity and projection and has a lot of volumes for it’s smaller size body.

Dimensions:
Length: 476 mm
Lower bout: 350 mm
Upper bout: 245 mm
Waist: 196 mm
Scale length: 25”
13th fret neck joint

Available TNAG Bespoke slots:

2021 Build - 35% Deposit : £2,397.50

2022 Build - 35% Deposit : £2,397.50

Incoming Åstrand Guitars:

Åstrand Å-OM Brazilian Rosewood and European Moon Spruce - £12,450

his incoming Åstrand Å-OM Bespoke Build in Brazilian Rosewood and European Moon Spruce is going to be out of this world and one Ted and TNAG have been planning for some time now. A beautiful OM Custom in Brazilian Rosewood and European "moon" spruce with a stunning 12th Fret inlay (TBD)

The Brazilian Rosewood for this instrument is some of Ted's finest collection. Imported to Sweden in 1952, has been air dried for the past 66 years, and produces an unbelievable tone that will ring for days. Of course, comes with all the correct CITIES paperwork.

Due for delivery early 2020.

We will start a build thread here for this guitar....but for more information on ordering your very own Åstrand guitar, please do not hesitate to contact us on +44 (0) 207 835 5597 or email us here.

Thanks

Ben
B&G Crossroads Non Cutaway P90's
B&G Step Sister Cutaway Kikbuckers
www.benmontague.co.uk
www.thenorthamericanguitar.com

Last edited by Ben Montague; 10-12-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:16 PM

Wow! Awesome sounding guitars, beautifully played! I didn't know that he had worked with Jason Kostal - that's pretty unique. Great post, all round - thanks for sharing.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks SJ...Ted is awesome and we are so proud to represent his work. Have a great day. Ben
www.benmontague.co.uk
Old 10-15-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
I didn't know that he had worked with Jason Kostal - that's pretty unique.
Do we know how long for and in what capacity?

Jason himself has often (and indeed on this forum) drawn the very obvious distinction between having done the Somogyi apprenticeship for 2 years vs. taking the voicing class for one week. I guess the same distinction would be drawn between staying with Jason for 2-years vs. one-week?

In any event, I've played a number of Astrands and they are incredibly well built instruments. I don't think any have reminded me of a Kostal over and above any number of other well-built modern fingerstyle guitars.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 10-15-2018, 08:49 AM

I couldn't tell you, Steve - they are vague about that in the video, possibly deliberately. I don't imagine it was anything like a two or three year apprenticeship. I would love the opportunity to play a guitar by either of them!
Old 10-16-2018, 02:40 AM

Can't wait for my Astrand build in 2020-21.... Still a long time to go...

Avalon Custom Auditorium Fan Fret Sinker Redwood/Ziricote
Furch 34 SR Stahl (custom) - Sitka/EIR
Classical Hanika 58CF - Alpine/Cocobolo
Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
Alvarez MSD1 - Cedar/Mahogany
Breedlove C25 - Cedar/Mahogany
K-Country 1975 - Sitka/Mahogany
upcoming :
Michaud Made OM-R - ARW/ Swiss "moon"
Astrand A-OM - MRW - Euro Bearclaw
Old 10-16-2018, 09:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosskate View Post
Can't wait for my Astrand build in 2020-21.... Still a long time to go...
Still going to be worth the wait! Are you setting up a build thread?
www.benmontague.co.uk
Old 10-16-2018, 10:43 AM

Ted’s guitars are beautifully austere and sonically magnificent.....such pure tone. He’s A most gifted luthier.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 10-16-2018, 12:14 PM

I have one of Ted's guitars. The man is simply right up there. I was initially attracted to his work by stumbling across his web site a few years ago, back in the day when the prices were in Swedish kroner and I could deal with Ted direct. Really great build project - went with Madagascan and Swiss moon spruce. The guitar also sports a set of hand made tuning machines by Keith Robson. The same guitar would now cost me easily two and a half times what I paid for it. Having said that, even at current prices Ted's work remains great value.

In short, a great builder and a great guy. My wife and I were out in Gothenburg earlier this year to have Ted check the guitar out and make some adjustments that tend to be necessary after over three years. Ted had the guitar for a day at no expense to me, just great service. He was delighted to see the obvious signs that the guitar had been played A LOT. He returned it to me as an instrument re-born.

Cheers,

Ian
Old 10-16-2018, 01:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianLP59 View Post
I have one of Ted's guitars. The man is simply right up there. I was initially attracted to his work by stumbling across his web site a few years ago, back in the day when the prices were in Swedish kroner and I could deal with Ted direct. Really great build project - went with Madagascan and Swiss moon spruce. The guitar also sports a set of hand made tuning machines by Keith Robson. The same guitar would now cost me easily two and a half times what I paid for it. Having said that, even at current prices Ted's work remains great value.

In short, a great builder and a great guy. My wife and I were out in Gothenburg earlier this year to have Ted check the guitar out and make some adjustments that tend to be necessary after over three years. Ted had the guitar for a day at no expense to me, just great service. He was delighted to see the obvious signs that the guitar had been played A LOT. He returned it to me as an instrument re-born.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks for your comments Ian, what a wonderful story. Ted is such an inspirational guy, humble and sensationally talented. Thanks again. Ben
www.benmontague.co.uk
Old 10-17-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Montague View Post
Still going to be worth the wait! Are you setting up a build thread?
I'm Probably going to start first with my next build from Michaud Made due to start in January 2019. However when my build with Ted comes I'll probably do so as well.

Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
upcoming :
Old 10-18-2018, 02:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I'm Probably going to start first with my next build from Michaud Made due to start in January 2019. However when my build with Ted comes I'll probably do so as well.
Great stuff you will have to keep us all informed as to how the build is going? I am seeing Joel in a few days. Cheers. Ben
www.benmontague.co.uk
Old 10-18-2018, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Montague View Post
Great stuff you will have to keep us all informed as to how the build is going? I am seeing Joel in a few days. Cheers. Ben
Yes I will. Nice ! What are you seeing him for ? Another Talking guitar ? Going to see him in January before my build starts.

Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
upcoming :
Old 10-18-2018, 02:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Yes I will. Nice ! What are you seeing him for ? Another Talking guitar ? Going to see him in January before my build starts.

We have a beautiful J-R in Pan Rosewood being built. See we are catching up at Woodstock show.
www.benmontague.co.uk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop