The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-29-2016, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Barre chords and that pesky G string

I know that there are many threads for how to play barre chords, and many barre chords are doable for me, but I cannot seem to cleanly play barre chords that include a note which is barred on the G string (Fm, Cm7, etc). With an Fm, I can mash my middle finger on top of my index finger to reinforce the bar, and that will work sometimes. But it takes quite a while to get into that position when switching chords, plus it takes the middle finger away from being able to play other notes for other barre chords that requires the middle finger (e.g. Bm7). I'm sure it must have to do with the crease in my fingerjoint, but I can't find a consistent way to get a clean note from the barred G string. Suggestions please.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:12 AM

I find barring on the 1st fret too difficult.
Anything below that it gets easy until you reach where it's hard to put two fingers in the fret.

Check this thread for some how to barre videos...
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=413152
Old 01-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

You're right, there have been dozens of barre chords threads, some mentioning the specific issue with the third string.

However in brief I suggest you extend your index finger beyond the sixth string in the degree needed to eliminate the problem for the particular chord at hand.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 01-29-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
I know that there are many threads for how to play barre chords, and many barre chords are doable for me, but I cannot seem to cleanly play barre chords that include a note which is barred on the G string (Fm, Cm7, etc). With an Fm, I can mash my middle finger on top of my index finger to reinforce the bar, and that will work sometimes. But it takes quite a while to get into that position when switching chords, plus it takes the middle finger away from being able to play other notes for other barre chords that requires the middle finger (e.g. Bm7). I'm sure it must have to do with the crease in my fingerjoint, but I can't find a consistent way to get a clean note from the barred G string. Suggestions please.
Could it be the way you're holding he neck of the guitar?

Look at the link Mystery provided above on post #2, go to that link and look for post #9 further down the page, there are two really good videos that ljguitars posted that might help you.

What rock-slo mentions is a good thing to do too which will help.

Keep in mind too that it does take practice to not just make the barre chords, but also changing chords from one to another.

Once you develop your hand strength to play barres, muscle memory more or less takes over. It all boils down to practicing and it does take time.
16 Alvarez AD610CESB
Mid 80's Alvarez 5009 classical
63 Yamaha No100 classical
89 Gibson Les Paul Standard
04 Gibson Les Paul Supreme
84 Ibanez AS200AV
75 Gibson L6S
05 Gibson SG Special Peter Townsend
95 G&L Legacy
Old 01-29-2016, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

I almost always use my middle finger as a support over the barre/first finger, when available, of course...

If I was having trouble with barre chords and ANY string fretting cleanly, I would have my guitar set-up... might need your frets dressed and polished. Be sure to let the tech know what you are experiencing that's giving you trouble...

The above would be for an intermediate/advanced player... for a beginner, I'd want to be sure that the trouble isn't THEIR TECHNIQUE, before I went ahead and had any ork done to the guitar...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-30-2016, 03:31 PM

I've come to the conclusion that the greatest advantage for playing barre chords is stubby fingers. Mine are not
Old 01-30-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
You're right, there have been dozens of barre chords threads, some mentioning the specific issue with the third string.

However in brief I suggest you extend your index finger beyond the sixth string in the degree needed to eliminate the problem for the particular chord at hand.
That's what I need to do to correct for that issue. It works.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 01-31-2016, 01:14 PM

This happens to me when I try to press too hard with the tip of my finger on the root note, creating an arch in my barre. Try pulling your finger down with the muscle in the back of your hand behind the big knuckle. When I'm doing it right the other 3 fingers stay pretty relaxed to the point where using the middle as an aid creates more tension than its worth
Old 02-01-2016, 09:10 PM

I find I have to move my index depending on the chord. For example, an E-shape G or Gm is fine, but an E-shape G7 I can have issues with the D string.

Unfortunately my fingers are bony and try with all my might, I cannot fret all six strings with one finger cleanly. No matter how I position my index finger, be it up, down, rolled to the side, arched, tilted up from the bottom, there is always one string that won't sound properly. This is usually ok because my other fingers are fretting other strings, but it would be useful if I could do it and thus only needed the one position for my index.

I have to accept that it's not possible for me and find a work around. It's not a huge problem though and doesn't really effect me for most songs. I do wonder if it would be possible on a wider neck mind you.

For E-shape bar chords my finger tends to be quite high, with the crease of the smallest knuckle at about the same height as the top of the fretboard.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0cks View Post
I find I have to move my index depending on the chord. For example, an E-shape G or Gm is fine, but an E-shape G7 I can have issues with the D string.

Unfortunately my fingers are bony and try with all my might, I cannot fret all six strings with one finger cleanly. No matter how I position my index finger, be it up, down, rolled to the side, arched, tilted up from the bottom, there is always one string that won't sound properly. This is usually ok because my other fingers are fretting other strings, but it would be useful if I could do it and thus only needed the one position for my index.

I have to accept that it's not possible for me and find a work around. It's not a huge problem though and doesn't really effect me for most songs. I do wonder if it would be possible on a wider neck mind you.

For E-shape bar chords my finger tends to be quite high, with the crease of the smallest knuckle at about the same height as the top of the fretboard.
When it fits into the tune using the middle finger over index finger gives a clean sound without much effort.

Me

Bream

Chapdelaine

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
barre