The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-26-2016, 01:40 AM

Default Playing while standing.

I been playing about eight months but a few weeks ago I tried playing standing with a strap. It was so totally different. I couldn't get the chords right to save my live. So that was the end of that. Then I thought I better try to get that. Tried it again today and it was just as bad ad last time. It was like I never held a guitar in my hands in my life. Something that will come with time or you folks have any pointers?
Old 01-26-2016, 02:00 AM

Experiment with varying heights you set the strap. Don't be afraid to bring it higher if need be.

Also, the angle. If you think of the soundhole/upper bout as the pivot point then you'd likely want the neck angled upwards toward your head somewhat. How much? whatever's comfortable. Again, experiment.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200

Last edited by saxonblue; 01-26-2016 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:11 AM

Yes, the idea is that the strap should hold the guitar in the same position and angle relative to your body as when seated..

However, that doesn't allow for the fact that when standing your body tends to be more upright. If you get used to a seated position where you're used to learning forward over the instrument - or leaning the guitar back (eg to see the fretboard), then that's going to be very different when standing with a strap. Unless you have an Ovation-style bowl-back guitar, you won't be seeing the fretboard as easily, if at all.
You also can't physically lean on the instrument in the same way when standing, because it's not sitting on your thigh, but strung around your neck.

All these things can make it feel uncomfortable to play standing, even with the guitar at the optimum height. So - if you need to play standing for some reason (eg better showmanship) - then it's just one of those things you need to practice! Like all those other things you practised years ago that were once difficult but now aren't...
Old 01-26-2016, 06:21 AM

One of the suggestions with which students have had success is to drop the body while raising the neck. When standing, my instrument neck is at a 45 degree angle at minimum. That eliminates wrist strain.

If you're constantly trying to look at your fingers, I assure you, they are still there. Use your side markers. Practice using those, or even not looking at all at your hands.

Although this guy sits down because he figured out his own path and without ever seeing another player, notice that he never looks at his hands while playing.

(Yeah, he might also sit because then he knows where he is relative to the microphone....)

Last edited by Explorer; 01-26-2016 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Although this guy sits down because he figured out his own path and without ever seeing another player, notice that he never looks at his hands while playing.
Well he wouldn't, would he...
Old 01-26-2016, 08:11 AM

its all about the practice time you put in. What seems difficult will become the norm. Make it your routine to stand at least once a week for your full practice / playing time.

and Explorer - Nice jeff Healy video, saw him in vancouver years ago, one gifted player. Also a great jazz player (trumpet) and before he passed he had a great radio show on CBC ( jazz history)
Old 01-26-2016, 08:29 AM

Practice standing, not sitting. The relative position of everything is different, and so if you master a song sitting, your hands will be just enough off while standing to ruin your playing.

I actually started practicing standing from the very beginning - so it was never an issue for me. I also use a strap when I play sitting, so that the guitar is held in the exact same position as if I was standing. This makes both experiences similar so that I don't have to relearn how to position my hands.

A final tip during the transition. When you put on you strap for the first time(s), do it while sitting. Make the strap the same length so that it allows the guitar to lightly rest on your leg, without any slack. Then when you stand, the guitar is in a natural position. Now all you have to do is worry about the position/angle of the neck.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the advice and tips. Adding it to my practice schedule. Thanks again !!
Old 01-26-2016, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

I play better standing. When playing out, I stand. For the last decade or so, I sit while practicing. Good to be able to do either, but if you find one does not work as well as the other, time to practice in the harder position.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:54 PM

I try to always stand as I tend to lean over the guitar when I sit which gives me a sore, tense, upper back. I think it's because the GS mini is a smaller body so when you lean into it you tend to lean over it too.

I wear it very high. The neck at 45 degrees and the body of the guitar above my crotch, resting on my stomach. If I sit, I keep the same position (strap still on) and place the body of the guitar between my legs for support. It looks very similar the classical style position tbh.

However you like to hold it sitting, you want to emulate the same position standing and vice versa otherwise you have to learn two different ways of holding the guitar.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:04 PM

while sitting place the guitar in the "comfort zone" as you would while playing , put on the strap ad adjust to where your comfortable, Now stand and play, the guitar will be in the same position as if you were sitting.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 01-26-2016, 07:28 PM

I walk and play. I just can't stand still. Sitting, I'm calm and relaxed. Standing, I have to move. I almost took a couple of headers from getting tangle-footed in the cord so I bought a wireless system. Mind you, Angus Young I am not but standing stock still is something I cannot do.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:41 PM

Varying heights +1
Old 01-27-2016, 07:49 PM
Guitar Gourmet

After years of playing electric standing I finally figured out how to do it with an acoustic:

Neck up, upper bout right about in the sternum, inside right elbow helps keep things in place.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-27-2016, 08:06 PM

Also, have you given a go to classical position? It puts the guitar in a very similar position either sitting kr standing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write