The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-07-2016, 06:34 AM

Lightbulb Martin's 2016 Progress Thread/Blog

Apologies for the clickbait, but I’m referring to Martin (myself) rather than that fine maker of instruments

I thought I’d start a thread so that I can document my thoughts and personal progress for 2016 – which I’m hoping is the real kickstart for a lifelong wonderful passion for me.

As none of my friends/family play, I think it will be a helpful thing to have somewhere where I can document my progress/goals/personal ‘eureka’ moments, even if no-one else is interested! So please excuse me if this is a rambling, disjointed mess of thoughts!

Mods - please feel free to move if this is not an appropriate section of the forum for this post.

A little bit of background story…

I’m 30 years old later this year, and I first picked up a guitar when I was 16. A gift from my parents for passing my GCSE’s (exams at the end of secondary/high school); my first (and up until last year, only) guitar was a Hohner Countryman electro-acoustic dreadnought, in a tobacco sunburst finish. I still have it to this day, and will keep it forever.

The instrument was given to me because I’d announced at the age of 16 that I wanted to be able to play the guitar. I’d just began dating a girl from school (14 years later and she’s still sat beside me as I write this!) – and perhaps I wanted to impress her? I honestly can’t remember what made me want to take it up in the first place (hell, I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night).

Anyway, being 16 years old and dating a girl, my attention span was short, and the idea of playing the guitar soon fell by the wayside. I’d learned a handful of chords, made a lot of noise, hurt my fingers, annoyed my parents (why did we buy him a guitar?!) and soon lost interest.

To this day, I count that as my biggest regret.

I’ve been a music lover all my life, but until 2015 had never been struck by any kind of urge to rekindle my interest. Then last year, completely out of the blue, a lightbulb went on somewhere in my head that left me with a burning desire to play. I don’t even know why. So again, an impulse that I can’t explain or rationalise struck me – I’m noticing a theme here!

We’d spent the last five years saving to buy our first house, which we did, early last year. It was like that was all I’d thought about for the last five years and then as soon as we’d accomplished our goal, it suddenly freed up all this headspace, and suddenly I had a burning passion to do something, that I hadn’t had in a long, long time.

So, last July I found myself in possession of a Takamine EG440SC, which I’d picked up almost brand new – and in immaculate condition - for an absolute steal. Armed with my desire for learning, my guitar and JustinGuitar, I set about proving to my 16 year old self that I was a wiser and more patient person now!

So, here we are six months later. Still very much an absolute beginner but with a real burning passion and desire that was just not there before. I’ve overwhelmed myself (in a good way) over the last six months, learning a lot (mostly from AGF!) about all kinds of things that I didn’t know or care about as an impatient 16 year old.

I work full time in a busy job that means I don’t get as much time as I’d like, but that’s OK. It’s not the destination, it’s the journey, right? And I’m enjoying every step.

When you’re 16 years old, you get frustrated that you don’t master a skill within an hour. Luckily, I’ve grown to accept that to be good at something requires time, effort and commitment! A desire to be continually learning and improving has to be there to make progress.

So…where am I now….?

I can play open chords, remember them easily, switch between most open chords OK, and can remember some reasonably intricate (for me!) fingerpicking patterns. I’m still having to play things quite slowly to make sure the accuracy is there.

I’m struggling with barre chords, and I have a really bad habit of wanting to pick every string with my thumb and index finger. I really need to get into the habit of good picking hand technique and using three fingers and thumb correctly.

Oh, and I still can’t snap out of the death grip super-tense state that I think we all suffer from as beginners!

Having been (loosely) following Justin’s beginners course (interspersed with a lot of going off on a side track and learning fingerpicking songs/licks I like via YouTube), I’m at the stage where I feel some time in a one-on-one environment with a teacher would be of great benefit to me.

My girlfriend read my mind, and as a Christmas gift, gave me a voucher for a one-hour trial lesson with a tutor, which I’m taking on Saturday. I’m really looking forward to spending some time with an experienced head.

Much like a mechanic can spot problems even though your car looks fine to your own eye, I’m sure there’s any number of things that an experienced player will spot that I could improve – I’m especially interested in making sure that I’m doing the basics right – things like posture, grip etc.

…and where do I want to go?

Although I don’t really have any specific fixed goals in mind (like I said, I’m just enjoying the ride) I’d like to think that in a year from now, I’ll be looking back at this with pride at the progress I’ve made. Short term milestones will be increasing the speed of open chord changes, getting a handle on barre chords, and improving my dexterity/agility in the picking hand so that I can apply correct technique and get myself out of bad habits.

Through the termination of another hobby and a couple of lifestyle changes, I’ve raised some funds that will be put towards my first serious guitar later in the year. I’m fortunate that my family are keen to contribute towards the cost of the guitar as a 30th birthday gift.

I like the symbolism of that somehow. The first guitar I ever picked up was a gift, and my first ‘real’ guitar will be as much of a gift, even though I’m mostly funding it myself. It’s like there will be a part of my family in the guitar, and I will also have something that I can keep until my dying days that has true sentimental value.

Although my Takamine would be a perfectly good guitar for one of my ability for a number of years, I’m a firm believer that buying the best you can afford will be both rewarding and encouraging. It will help focus my efforts in times of frustration (I’m a big fan of getting your money’s worth out of something!) and the better it sounds, the more enjoyment I am likely to get from playing it.

I’m really excited just at the thought of spending a few weekends trawling the guitar stores here in Bristol and playing anything and everything I can get my hands on.

I also have a trip to the USA in March/April, where I will only be a couple of hours away from the Martin factory in Nazareth, which I’m very much looking forward to.

In terms of my musical interests, I’m a big fan of many genres and styles of music, but in terms of guitar playing, I’m heavily interested in the more folky, fingerpicking style than for example strumming chords as part of a group/ensemble. My favourite acoustic artists are the likes of Ben Howard, Damien Rice, Ed Sheeran, James Taylor and many others. I’m really enjoying some John Mayer at the moment as well, and a good few of his songs are ‘acoustic friendly’.

I’m also developing a real interest in acoustic blues, which again came out of the blue recently, as this was not a genre that I was interested in until very recently. But I think it would be a very rewarding avenue to explore as my playing progresses.

Wow, that turned into quite some ramble! If you’ve made it this far, I salute you. Thank you for listening to my jumbled web of thoughts!

I intend to keep this thread updated regularly with my thoughts following lessons/practice, and of course when we get into guitar shopping season!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:45 AM

In my case, I can say that the most important step in developing was commiting to the music itself. I fooled around for years, trying different things, until I was exposed to music I felt I had to play. At that point, you start to learn the guitar in pursuit of the music instead of pursuing music as a means of learning the guitar. The learning curve jumps steeply once you are able to focus on the music as opposed to mastering a manual dexterity skill.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:24 AM

sent you a pm
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 01-07-2016, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

I don't know if this forum was intended to be a personal journey blog for you to reflect back at. Maybe Facebook or maybe your computer could do the trick for you. You could also take a song that your learning and record it every month to see how your progressing. Good luck
Old 01-07-2016, 07:37 AM

Short version learn theory !~!

Without theory, music is like a second language, you catch some pieces, others are as foreign as a language you don't know.

When you know theory it all comes together, beautifully, and then you can concentrate on making music.........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 01-07-2016, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRISTOL86 View Post
I thought I’d start a thread so that I can document my thoughts and personal progress for 2016 – which I’m hoping is the real kickstart for a lifelong wonderful passion for me.
This is a great idea. Personal accountability really helps make guitar playing progress more intentional. I'll look forward to your future updates on the thread.

As mentioned, it's helpful to make some audio and/or video recordings of your playing. When you get discouraged with your progress, pull up a couple of old videos and you'll quickly realize how much progress you've made.

You might also consider keeping an actual blog of your progress. Although I haven't updated it for a while, you'll see an example in my signature.

I'll look forward to seeing more of your posts and may you have Godspeed with your progress.

Steve
Old 01-08-2016, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
In my case, I can say that the most important step in developing was commiting to the music itself. I fooled around for years, trying different things, until I was exposed to music I felt I had to play. At that point, you start to learn the guitar in pursuit of the music instead of pursuing music as a means of learning the guitar. The learning curve jumps steeply once you are able to focus on the music as opposed to mastering a manual dexterity skill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Short version learn theory !~!

Without theory, music is like a second language, you catch some pieces, others are as foreign as a language you don't know.

When you know theory it all comes together, beautifully, and then you can concentrate on making music.........
I'm definitely keen to delve into the theory side of things, it interests me greatly...but once I've overcome a few little hurdles on the physical side! At the moment I don't have the dexterity/agility of the physical act of getting nice music from the instrument, and until then, I feel like knowing all the theory in the world wouldn't change that.

It's most definitely something I want to get into though, I don't want to gloss over the theory side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM View Post
I don't know if this forum was intended to be a personal journey blog for you to reflect back at. Maybe Facebook or maybe your computer could do the trick for you. You could also take a song that your learning and record it every month to see how your progressing. Good luck
Apologies, I thought a forum full of guitar nuts was the ideal place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
This is a great idea. Personal accountability really helps make guitar playing progress more intentional. I'll look forward to your future updates on the thread.

As mentioned, it's helpful to make some audio and/or video recordings of your playing. When you get discouraged with your progress, pull up a couple of old videos and you'll quickly realize how much progress you've made.

You might also consider keeping an actual blog of your progress. Although I haven't updated it for a while, you'll see an example in my signature.

I'll look forward to seeing more of your posts and may you have Godspeed with your progress.

Steve
Thanks, I've bookmarked your blog so I can read whilst at work for inspiration

I guess my reason for posting here was a guaranteed audience, no matter how few people were interested! I don't know much about how blogs work in terms of getting it seen by interested people...will have to do some research!
Old 01-08-2016, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

I see a small problem with your post. On one hand, you say you want to make progress in your guitar playing; on the other hand, you do not identify any plan:
Quote:

Although I don’t really have any specific fixed goals in mind (like I said, I’m just enjoying the ride) I’d like to think that in a year from now, I’ll be looking back at this with pride at the progress I’ve made. Short term milestones will be increasing the speed of open chord changes, getting a handle on barre chords, and improving my dexterity/agility in the picking hand so that I can apply correct technique and get myself out of bad habits.
You'll have to decide what is the purpose for this thread, Martin. If it is to provide entertainment for a few folks at AGF, then well and good. Post back from time to time about your thoughts and progress. If your purpose is to have accountability in your journey towards improvement, then I would recommend that you think through HOW you plan to achieve your 'milestones' - like faster chord changes and better barre chords.

A good guitar teacher will help you. Let us know how your first session goes.

If you really want to improve, I'd recommend that you set some performance-related goals and make a specific plan to get there.

In my case, when I was at the stage you're at now, I decided that I wanted join a small group that went into the local hospital to sing for the patients - as a guitarist. I got a copy of their songbook and started to practice these songs feverishly. I got together with another guitarist and jammed together on these songs. I took some guitar lessons. After several months of this, I started going with the group and played along - poorly - but I learned quickly what I needed to improve. After I had achieved my first goal, I set other goals - first I decided to record and post a bunch of YouTube videos, then I decided to perform at a nursing home, then I decided to enter a music festival with a duo. You get the idea.

All this to say that when you have a compelling performance-related goal - like performing at an open mic, or joining a band, or making YouTube videos - it will give you the enthusiasm, motivation, and passion to put in the work you'll need to do to make the progress. Then you need to develop your plan of some specific steps or activities that will bring you closer to your goal.

As I'm sure you know, it will be important to make some time in your daily/weekly schedule to put in some dedicated practice time. If you don't, life has a way of keeping you busy with other good activities. You may noodle around from time to time, but you won't be very focused. I'd recommend that your practice be based on 2 or 3 songs that you really enjoy. Drills and exercises are sometimes useful, but it's really only when they are used in songs that they become 'locked in' and begin to improve your playing.

Best of luck, Martin, in your pursuit, and I'll look forward to seeing you future posts and progress.

Steve
Old 01-08-2016, 10:32 AM

The death grip is the show-stopper. Have you seen Jamie Andreas' work on this? She's the guru on this topic.

All good players, in addition to not gripping too hard in the first place, are releasing every drop of tension in the fretting arm and hand as they move between fretting hand shapes. The relaxed hand/arm then moves into the new shape ahead of (in anticipation of) the fingers actually contacting and pressing the strings.

Easier said than done, I know, but this is the magic bullet to move past the stage you're at (imho)

Best of luck - and don't forget to have fun
Old 01-08-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
I see a small problem with your post. On one hand, you say you want to make progress in your guitar playing; on the other hand, you do not identify any plan:
You'll have to decide what is the purpose for this thread, Martin. If it is to provide entertainment for a few folks at AGF, then well and good. Post back from time to time about your thoughts and progress. If your purpose is to have accountability in your journey towards improvement, then I would recommend that you think through HOW you plan to achieve your 'milestones' - like faster chord changes and better barre chords.

A good guitar teacher will help you. Let us know how your first session goes.

If you really want to improve, I'd recommend that you set some performance-related goals and make a specific plan to get there.

In my case, when I was at the stage you're at now, I decided that I wanted join a small group that went into the local hospital to sing for the patients - as a guitarist. I got a copy of their songbook and started to practice these songs feverishly. I got together with another guitarist and jammed together on these songs. I took some guitar lessons. After several months of this, I started going with the group and played along - poorly - but I learned quickly what I needed to improve. After I had achieved my first goal, I set other goals - first I decided to record and post a bunch of YouTube videos, then I decided to perform at a nursing home, then I decided to enter a music festival with a duo. You get the idea.

All this to say that when you have a compelling performance-related goal - like performing at an open mic, or joining a band, or making YouTube videos - it will give you the enthusiasm, motivation, and passion to put in the work you'll need to do to make the progress. Then you need to develop your plan of some specific steps or activities that will bring you closer to your goal.

As I'm sure you know, it will be important to make some time in your daily/weekly schedule to put in some dedicated practice time. If you don't, life has a way of keeping you busy with other good activities. You may noodle around from time to time, but you won't be very focused. I'd recommend that your practice be based on 2 or 3 songs that you really enjoy. Drills and exercises are sometimes useful, but it's really only when they are used in songs that they become 'locked in' and begin to improve your playing.

Best of luck, Martin, in your pursuit, and I'll look forward to seeing you future posts and progress.

Steve
I probably didn't phrase that too well to be honest, what I meant to say was that I'm not imposing any pre conceived long term ideas on myself, like 'I must be able to do XYZ in 2 years or I've failed', kind of thing...

You're spot on when you say that having some focussed short term/performance goals can only be a good thing. I'm sure a good teacher will help a lot in that regard.

I'm a determined person in general, and if my tutor assists me in setting a specific goal - for example something to go away and work on between lessons - I'll absolutely be making maximum effort to make sure I do.

I also have some short term goals in mind of my own, things like recording a polished song to send round to family and friends, and some other things.

If I can provide entertainment to my fellow AGF-ers then so much the better

Time is everything as you suggest - I work a busy full time job but my commitment to this is very real. I've called time on another hobby already because this is all I want to do! I don't get as much time as I'd like for it, but I guess only a lucky few can say that they get all the time they want to do the things they enjoy!

Just means I have to be focussed and work hard, and practice effectively - not just noodling about in an unstructured way all the time, as you hinted at. Another good reason for face to face contact with a tutor, I think.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrysGuitarBar View Post
The death grip is the show-stopper. Have you seen Jamie Andreas' work on this? She's the guru on this topic.

All good players, in addition to not gripping too hard in the first place, are releasing every drop of tension in the fretting arm and hand as they move between fretting hand shapes. The relaxed hand/arm then moves into the new shape ahead of (in anticipation of) the fingers actually contacting and pressing the strings.

Easier said than done, I know, but this is the magic bullet to move past the stage you're at (imho)

Best of luck - and don't forget to have fun
You're right, it is! It makes everything ten times more difficult than it actually is! I had that eureka moment only a couple of weeks ago when I realised I'm doing everything with infinitely more tension than is good.

I'm not familiar with Jamie Andreas but I'll be sure to look into that, thanks! It's one of the first things I intend to mention to the tutor tomorrow, but I'm sure they'll notice that straight away anyway!
Old 01-09-2016, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Martin,

The thing that grabbed me the most in your post is that you mention your biggest regret as not staying with the guitar when you were 16 and just getting back to it now when you are 30.

There's a lot of folks like me who started a lot later than you. I started at age 55 so you have 25 more years than me to potentially develop to what you want you want to be.

Be happy, I am.

Good luck,

Bob
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-09-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Martin,

The thing that grabbed me the most in your post is that you mention your biggest regret as not staying with the guitar when you were 16 and just getting back to it now when you are 30.

There's a lot of folks like me who started a lot later than you. I started at age 55 so you have 25 more years than me to potentially develop to what you want you want to be.

Be happy, I am.

Good luck,

Bob
Thanks Bob, that's very encouraging! Heard lots of stories from people older than me who have made great progress so I'm optimistic
Old 01-10-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Apologies, I thought a forum full of guitar nuts was the ideal place!

I guess my reason for posting here was a guaranteed audience, no matter how few people were interested! I don't know much about how blogs work in terms of getting it seen by interested people...will have to do some research!
Personally, I think this is great place for this sort of thing. CRM's comment notwithstanding, most of us guitar nuts are glad to see someone with so much enthusiasm!

Sometimes I need a little help reminding myself why I want to continue something which, when you come right down to it, takes so much work to improve in. Posts like yours help. Enjoy the journey!

Dave
Old 01-11-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M123 View Post
Personally, I think this is great place for this sort of thing. CRM's comment notwithstanding, most of us guitar nuts are glad to see someone with so much enthusiasm!

Sometimes I need a little help reminding myself why I want to continue something which, when you come right down to it, takes so much work to improve in. Posts like yours help. Enjoy the journey!

Dave
Thanks Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write