The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-07-2018, 08:53 AM

Default Stanley Yates book question...

Can someone tell me if the Stanley Yates book "Classical Guitar Technique From Foundation To Virtuosity" teaches sight reading or if it's simply a byproduct of the practice? I've narrowed my search to Yates and the Leavitt book "Modern Method for Guitar" which apparently teaches sight reading and theory competency but is not specifically for classical guitar.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:02 AM

I can't be sure right now, but as far as I remember, it doesn't. Why not get both?
Old 10-07-2018, 10:19 AM

Good point but combined they're over 650 pages of material and I'm OLD...I might not have enough time left to get through them
Old 10-07-2018, 10:26 AM

Got it, but don't get turned off by the number of pages. If you don't have time or don't have the book, in the end is the same thing. With the book there's at least the possibility you do manage to cover it.

Forgot to mention, sorry. I'd advise you to use both books combined, not go through one and than the other.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:56 AM

I've definitely thought about that because I don't think the Leavitt book addresses form or technique at all.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:01 AM

There you go, I think you'll get pretty much covered with both books. No need to check one at a time, alternating between them will definitely be more beneficial.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCowGrower View Post
Can someone tell me if the Stanley Yates book "Classical Guitar Technique From Foundation To Virtuosity" teaches sight reading or if it's simply a byproduct of the practice? I've narrowed my search to Yates and the Leavitt book "Modern Method for Guitar" which apparently teaches sight reading and theory competency but is not specifically for classical guitar.

The Yates books (there are two) that you mention are not sight-reading books. Leavitt is good for that. You might look too at Hubert Käppel's 'Bible of Classical Guitar Technique', if you have not already done so.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
The Yates books (there are two) that you mention are not sight-reading books. Leavitt is good for that. You might look too at Hubert Käppel's 'Bible of Classical Guitar Technique', if you have not already done so.
Thanx for clearing that up Carey. I considered Kappel's book but after reading several reviews that mentioned Yates focus on "newer" techniques as well as ease of use, I decided on his version. I ordered both Yates and Leavitt as suggested above so in a month we'll see if I'm a better player or locked in a padded room wearing a custom jacket as I drool and babble nonsense.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:26 PM

The Yates books are well laid out and very thorough, so a good choice, I'd say.
I'll humbly suggest taking the technical work in small doses, with frequent breaks... DAMHIKT.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

I’m currently using the Yates Foundations books. They’re great, but they’re all about technique and practice. They assume you read music.

Honestly, I think the old Mel Bay Modern Guitar Method will get you started reading as well as any other book out there. The Leavitt book moves faster, so if it seems too fast paced try Mel Bay.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical