The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-15-2018, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD... Cordoba Mini 2 (my 14th Cordoba)

Picked up a new Cordoba Mini II all mahogany guitar at Music Villa in Bozeman, MT today. Played this one and the flamed mahogany model today and thought the all-hog one sounded just a tad warmer and fuller. The all-flame one was sure a looker though! May end up with the flamey one as well down the road, but I'm really watching for the cutaway model with electronics for the next one. So far I really like the Mini IIs... but have only played them in the store and this one in my lap here at home for a total of about an hour. More observations to come later. A VERY handy, comfortable couch guitar! I like it much better in regards to it being closer in neck width/length to a regular classical/flamenco than the original Minis.

Cordobas I've owned or currently own:

Guitalele
2 - Minis
1 - Mini II
GK Studio blanca
2 - GK Pro blancas
2 - GK Pro negras
F10
C12 SP/IN
FCWE Reissue
55FCE spruce/cypress
55FCE spruce/ziricote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:00 AM

I've scoured the GCs, SAs, and all of the small dealers near me, and none have a Cordoba in stock. It would be nice if a certain Red left just one, even an old broken one, for somebody else to try.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
I've scoured the GCs, SAs, and all of the small dealers near me, and none have a Cordoba in stock. It would be nice if a certain Red left just one, even an old broken one, for somebody else to try.
The early bird gets the Cordoba!

Funny thing was, I had looked for a Mini 2 several weeks ago and didn't find any in stock, so I just forgot about them. But I was in Bozeman for an MSU Bobcats football game and wandered into MV after the game and there they were. I almost offered the sales guy to buy both of them for a small discount. But I'm trying not to be a COMPLETE glutton.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:13 AM

I’ve got the Mini SM-CE model, the cutaway with pickup. It’s my most-played guitar... Friendly to old hands.

Perfect armchair guitar. The only flaw with mine is the pickup. When I got it, with the “A” tuning strings installed, I played it briefly through my amp and it sounded fine.

However, I put on a set of the “E” tuning strings (which I still use) and that didn’t work at all with the pickup. The bass strings are WAY overbalanced and sound “quacky”... I’ve not found an amp setting that helps at all.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I’ve got the Mini SM-CE model, the cutaway with pickup. It’s my most-played guitar... Friendly to old hands.

Perfect armchair guitar. The only flaw with mine is the pickup. When I got it, with the “A” tuning strings installed, I played it briefly through my amp and it sounded fine.

However, I put on a set of the “E” tuning strings (which I still use) and that didn’t work at all with the pickup. The bass strings are WAY overbalanced and sound “quacky”... I’ve not found an amp setting that helps at all.
Agreed. I keep my SM-CE in A tuning as well, even though I have both A and E sets for it. So far, I'm digging the Mini II in E tuning. Fun, and EASY to play. Very much looking forward to getting the EB-CE and plugging in!
Old 09-27-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Agreed. I keep my SM-CE in A tuning as well, even though I have both A and E sets for it. So far, I'm digging the Mini II in E tuning. Fun, and EASY to play. Very much looking forward to getting the EB-CE and plugging in!
Thanks for posting and your review. I have the Mini II EB-CE on order and I'm waiting.......impatiently I want the solid spruce top so I will keep on waiting. I am glad to hear it does well in E-E tuning as that was my reason for getting one.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Thanks for posting and your review. I have the Mini II EB-CE on order and I'm waiting.......impatiently I want the solid spruce top so I will keep on waiting. I am glad to hear it does well in E-E tuning as that was my reason for getting one.
I've got an EB-CE on order as well. Please give me your impressions if you get your hands on one first! The EB-CE should look very nice next to my salted cutaway original Mini.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical