The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-19-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
The distortion was just with that one guy who was strumming really hard. I haven’t heard a trace of it since.

I like it without outboard gear. I usually try to add a bit of body resonance effect and cut 200Hz. The mic takes the place of the body resonance effect and I don’t really need the 200Hz cut.
Confused...?? Do you cut at 200Hz or not now??
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 05-19-2018, 06:10 AM

I usually do the same maybe low cut below
150-200. depending on room and volume.
That 150-200 hz mark is sensitive .In that you can
really knock out some desirable low end . Yet
you dont want that rumble feedback loop so
common with acoustic guitars..
Old 05-19-2018, 07:55 AM

Normally with the M80, I use a high pass, boosted the bass a little, then cut a bit around 200Hz. I do this because I play thumb bass lines which I want to bring out without mud and low frequency feedback. I also cut the highs a bit. So far I have been using the F1 as it is and it has been fine. I am a tweaker and probably will do some light EQ as I get more used to the pickup, but I am impressed with how good it sounds just as it is.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:57 AM

Default Skysonic Wireless Guitar Pickup

By the way, nobody is responding to my questions at the Skysonic Pickups USA Facebook page.

Edit: they just redirected me today to a person for tech questions on their pickups. I we’ll report back here when I get a response.

Last edited by lkingston; 05-19-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
By the way, nobody is responding to my questions at the Skysonic Pickups USA Facebook page.

Edit: they just redirected me today to a person for tech questions on their pickups. I we’ll report back here when I get a response.
yea i find if china responds at all it's usually about
36 hrs. I had a bunch of questions with a comp
called Leichiechina. A fishing lure maker. their
response rate was almost dead on 36 hrs.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:55 PM

Here is the response to my email:

Dear Laurence,

Thank you for your attention and support of our pickup, sorry for getting back to you late.

Please see the below answers for your kind record. Here is some function info for your kind record.

First, I'll talk you through the controls on the transmitter side.

1. Volume control: This controls the volume level of the magnetic pickup.
2. Standby Switch: This turns the system on and off. Press once to turn on, and press and hold for three seconds to turn off.
3. Phase switch: This alters the phase of the pickup signal to avoid any phase cancellation issues.
4. Signal Code Switch
5. Charging Indicator: This light is on during charging, and turns off when the system is fully charged.
6. Intensity Indicator: This LED changes becomes brighter or dimmer to show the intensity of your playing.
7. Charge Indicator: This LED illuminates when the system is below 50% charge.
8. USB Charging Port
9. Microphone Control
10. Output
11. Power Switch: turn clockwise to turn on master power to the system, anticlockwise to turn it off.
Finally, the FS-1 receiver handles 760.00MHz non compressed digital signal transmission. The system can easily transfer audio frequencies from 100Hz to around 16KHz, and is equipped with auto-match and anti-interference features.

The effective transfer distance of the FS-1 is up to 30 meters, with no loss of quality to tone or expression, and the system is plug and play; quick to install and easy to set up.

发自我的 iPhone

在 2018年5月20日,上午1:57,Laurence Kingston <[email protected]> 写道:

Hi Trista,

The moderator of the Facebook Skysonic Pickups USA told me you are the one to go to to ask tech support questions for the new Skysonic F1 wireless pickup.

I just got the pickup the other day and I love it, but I have a couple of questions:

1) What does the “catch” button do?
It’ for telling you if the signal is successful.

2) What is the wireless gig playing time I should expect on a full charge?
4 -6 hours

3) I replaced an LR Baggs M80 with the F1. My F1 pickup did not come with the endpin cable assembly, but I plugged in my existing LR Baggs endpin cable into the pickup and it seems to work well. With the M80, the RS portion of the jack acts like a power switch. Does the F1 make use of this connection to do any sort of power switching?
There is no cable function any longer, we cancel it already.

4) If I am using this pickup with the wired connection and the wireless in standby mode, how much playtime should I expect on a charge? I suspect it is a lot more.
There is a power switch on the top of the pickup, near by the phase, you can turn it off when you don’t need it to be wireless. Normally I think the time is the same, it might be 4-6 hours.

5) Can I order an extra receiver?
Yes, I think it’s ok, but how can we ship it to you? The freight might be expensive.

6) Since the endpin cable isn’t included, can I order it separately? Is there any reason not to use the LR Baggs cable that I may not have considered?
There is no any cable to be sold any longer, the portion can’t be used.

7) Should I always turn off the pickup with the power switch inside the sound hole or is the standby switch enough? I noticed that the end pin audio works in standby mode so it seems like it must be draining power in standby.
You’re right, if you don’t play it, please turn off the main power switch inside the soundhole. Otherwise, the power will be lost very quickly.

8 ) What frequency range is the wireless? Does the “catch” button have something to do with changing channels? If so, how many channels? Is there a method to get sync back if you loose transmitter and receiver sync?
UHF , 760MHZ

9) Is there any problem using two or more of these pickups at once at a gig?
No problem. It can be used in 5 sets or 8 receivers in the same time.

Laurence Kingston
Old 05-21-2018, 12:58 PM

Default Skysonic Wireless Guitar Pickup

Even though the wired connection is a discontinued feature, it works perfectly with the LR Baggs endpin cable.

Edit: I just ordered a second F1. Through the AliExpress.com app it was $121.54 including shipping. No guitar to put it in yet...

Last edited by lkingston; 05-21-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:51 PM

what does he mean 5 sets or 8 receivers?
Old 05-21-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
what does he mean 5 sets or 8 receivers?

I think “5 sets” means five transmitter channels.

“8 receivers” accounts for several receivers per channel. I don’t know if that means 8 per channel or 8 overall.

I can picture using two receivers: one for my guitar amp, the other for a soundman.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:53 PM

so have you located the channel switch on this
pickup/receiver or is it like a car key fob..
Old 05-22-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
so have you located the channel switch on this

pickup/receiver or is it like a car key fob..

I am told that changing channels is done with the switch labeled “catch”. I believe it must increment through the channels, telling the receiver to increment as well.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:25 PM

I guess I’m reviving this thread, but I got my Skysonic last week and wanted to give a mini review of my experience to date.

Ordering the pickup was a little ennerving for me, because it felt like I was paying more than once for it. Turns out they use a very secure process and everything was fine.

They shipped the pickup to me free of charge! That’s pretty rare that us Canadians get free shipping, but it happened. The pickup came within 2 weeks of ordering. Better than ordering from Musicians Friend, in my experience. And....no customs hassle either.

The pickup come in a very professional looking box, with nice graphics on it and a lid that is fitted with little magnets. It’s clearly designed to be used as a carrying case for the units.

I just plugged in the USB cables to charge the pickup and the wireless receiver. A little red light on each unit comes on, but there doesn’t seem to be a light for when its fully charged.

After charging, I mounted the pickup in my guitar and plugged the receiver into my Boss amp. Worked immediately with no fiddling around at all!

I have a LR Baggs M1 passive, and the Skysonic gives a very equivalent sound. Adjusting the blend between the mic and the magnetic pickup adds some flexibility to the sound that I like.

I went to our local country jammers song circle on Saturday, and tried it into the PA there. There was about 6 wired microphones in the board, plus a wireless receiver for another microphone. I just plugged the receiver in, turned it on, and played. No problems! I was about 20-25 feet from the board. I didn’t try going further.

Overall, this pickup will be just fine for my needs.
Washburn Mandolin
Kit-made Octave Mandolin
Martin HD-28
Old 06-04-2018, 08:03 PM

Nice update. Yeah I like mine.

Here's my update after a few weeks of use.

I turn the mic all the way up and the magnetic pickup up to about half. The mic is softer than the pickup and I find that to be a nice blend. If I need more volume I just give it more magnetic pickup.

I find the sound to be very natural and pleasing with a decent amount of sensitivity to body tapping but not too bad with finger squeaks and clothing rustling. I don't like it needs much eq and I'm happy with the sound without adding my sual body resonance effect.

I highly recommend hooking it to an LR Baggs endpin cable so that you have a wired option.

Also, be aware that what looks like a power switch on top is just a standby switch for the wireless transmitter. There is no switching going on in the endpin audio jack. You have to reach in and switch the power on and off deep in the sound hole.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Nice update. Yeah I like mine.

Here's my update after a few weeks of use.

I turn the mic all the way up and the magnetic pickup up to about half. The mic is softer than the pickup and I find that to be a nice blend. If I need more volume I just give it more magnetic pickup.

I find the sound to be very natural and pleasing with a decent amount of sensitivity to body tapping but not too bad with finger squeaks and clothing rustling. I don't like it needs much eq and I'm happy with the sound without adding my sual body resonance effect.

I highly recommend hooking it to an LR Baggs endpin cable so that you have a wired option.

Also, be aware that what looks like a power switch on top is just a standby switch for the wireless transmitter. There is no switching going on in the endpin audio jack. You have to reach in and switch the power on and off deep in the sound hole.
Thanks for the additional information.

I thought about putting the end pin cable in as well, but I want to use this primarily in my concert sized Morgan. That guitar has no strap pins at all, and I want to keep it like that. I will do that in my other guitars, though.

The quirky bit with the power switches will take some getting used to....🤔

Ian
Washburn Mandolin
Kit-made Octave Mandolin
Martin HD-28
Old 06-05-2018, 04:34 AM

thanks for the reviews! keep them coming, as it will help lots to convince more to give it a try.

for now it seems good that this pickup is comparable in sound quality to the m1 and m80.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification