The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-26-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neastguy View Post
so I found an old thumbpick last night to give it a try.. felt pretty good but it made my thumb numb is that normal.. or do I need to loosen it up.. feels like if I loosen it up.. it may slip around though
It was for me... at first. After a day or two, the pick loosened up and fits me better. When/if you get that feeling, just take it off for a bit and relax. Eventually the pick will feel more natural. If it is too loose, it won't be any use.

I had a slide that was too wide... i took a styrofoam cup, and tore off a few pieces, and put them in the slide. After about 5 minutes of adjusting, that slide fit perfect - and I keep that foam in there. If your thumb pick ever loosens too much, try the same - its a super cheap fix.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post
It was for me... at first. After a day or two, the pick loosened up and fits me better. When/if you get that feeling, just take it off for a bit and relax. Eventually the pick will feel more natural. If it is too loose, it won't be any use.

I had a slide that was too wide... i took a styrofoam cup, and tore off a few pieces, and put them in the slide. After about 5 minutes of adjusting, that slide fit perfect - and I keep that foam in there. If your thumb pick ever loosens too much, try the same - its a super cheap fix.
it does seem like the thumbpick is getting better in terms of comfort each time I use it..
Old 01-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

If you have trouble with keeping the thumbpick loose enough that it does not turn your thumb-tip purple, and yet not having it too loose that it spins too easily, try roughing up the inside of the thumbpick with coarse sandpaper. I find the additional friction helps it from slipping on my thumb. I switched from bare thumb to thumbpick about a year ago and final settled on Fred Kelly slick pick light after trying several brands and variations on stiffness.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

national thumb picks are the best for me. The newer ones (I haven't had to buy any in years) seem to be more comfortable than the older ones. I wouldn't use anything else.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write