The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-18-2013, 12:38 AM

Is it just me or does this guy have a gift for explaining things? Start with the 'Circle of Fifths'.

http://www.practiceroomhero.com/Site_2/video.html
Old 08-22-2013, 08:31 PM

Thanks for your replies everyone. Very helpful.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 PM

Hi Mannish; Go back to your teacher and take about - oh . . . fifty lessons in the next year, and get your theory every week as part of your lesson. Then, do that for about two to ten years -

That is what musicians do to learn music. You're right - you have a way to go. Why not continue to learn from an expert? It's the smart move. And - while you're taking the two to ten years of lessons, read every book you come across on the subject - there is no wrong book if you have a guide (your teacher).
Old 08-23-2013, 01:38 AM

What I find most difficult when being tutored is just why do I need to know what it is I'm being worked on at any given moment? It's one thing to tell a student the he/she needs to do .............. but if I don't know in the first instant why I need to know exactly that and how it fits into my quest, I'm not enthused.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exbon View Post
Buy "Practical Music Theory" by Justin Sandercoe.

Link: http://justinguitar.com/en/PR-010-Pr...usicTheory.php

It's an awesome book and it's super simple and it has some activities, so it's not only reading. It goes from intervals to the caged system. If you have some questions, ask on Justin forum.

Hope it helped
+1. Great book.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berny View Post
What I find most difficult when being tutored is just why do I need to know what it is I'm being worked on at any given moment? It's one thing to tell a student the he/she needs to do .............. but if I don't know in the first instant why I need to know exactly that and how it fits into my quest, I'm not enthused.
I understand this point and I don't think it is reasonable for you to just have to trust that it will pay off for no other reason than because it's coming from your teacher. There are bad teachers, or teachers that know and can communicate their knowledge but who make way too many assumptions.

And yet, if your willingness to learn things is filtered by your current level of knowledge and what you can extrapolate as the next practical thing from that, you're essentially overriding the teacher (despite not having their knowledge or experience) and placing an arbitrary burden on them and yourself. When you learn something, it changes you in ways you can't always relate to until you have learned that thing.

So I think the solution is to communicate a lot when searching for a teacher and discussing the direction, and then either let them earn your trust so that you can give them (and yourself) some leeway, or find another teacher if that trust doesn't develop after reasonable attempts.

As to the topic in general, there's a big difference between the level of interest in theory you need to play pop song accompaniment on guitar vs. to play other kinds of music, or write music for guitar, or write music for other instruments, or explore music theory beyond your current interests. So I think you need to have a thorough consideration as to what you want now, and remember that it may change once you experience something else.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:04 AM

music theory will be best understood in context, it's that simple.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

OK, you are getting posts that are way to focused, way too specific and lacking the introductory info you need to use them. For example you are already being confused by a post about chord progressions versus chord constructions.

In addition, some opinions are controversial. For example, I've seen some arguments that the "CAGED" system is an interesting starting point but actually becomes a significant crutch later on.

I've read very opposing views of Justin's teaching here on AGF, although I have no experience or knowledge of him, myself.

So, stop, take a step back...

First, as already stated, music theory is music theory and it doesn't matter what instrument you apply it too.

I might suggest you enroll in an evening music theory 101 class at a local college. Or take some books on music theory and study those.

The first thing you will learn is about pitch and frequency. Then you will learn how some sounds complement (not "compliment") each other and how some conflict with each other.

Then you will learn how scales and keys are made, what they are, why there are different ones and how to use them.

{at that point you can go in parallel to learn some scales on your guitar}

Then you will learn about things like intervals and chords and rules for constructing chords. This likely will include a reference tool called the Circle of Fifths.

{again, at this point you can look at your guitar chords and start deconstructing the chords you already know with what you learned - for example "why do I put this finger here for this chord?}

Then you will learn about chord progression, and can think of it as an extension of notes and keys and scale - which complement each other and which don't and why.

{again you can now proactice chord progressions to see and hear what you've learned}

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-26-2013, 04:37 PM

Default Teachers

Landru,

I understand that you want the OP to go back and start taking classes with his teacher again. However, there are great variations in guitar teachers and their ability to teach. My first teacher spent the first 25 minutes of our 30 minute sessions showing me how well he could play. Nice but not furthering my pursuit at all. In addition we all learn things in different ways. Some folks pickup concepts better by reading about them.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 PM

Here is a reference and instruction manual that contains a lifetime learning. Everything you ever need to know about music theory and guitar is included. I bought this book in 1982 when it first came out and it has been my mainstay. I reccommend this to anyone who is interested in music theory no matter the players experience.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Guitar-Han...uitar+handbook

Blues
Old 08-26-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
Landru,

I understand that you want the OP to go back and start taking classes with his teacher again. However, there are great variations in guitar teachers and their ability to teach. My first teacher spent the first 25 minutes of our 30 minute sessions showing me how well he could play. Nice but not furthering my pursuit at all. In addition we all learn things in different ways. Some folks pickup concepts better by reading about them.
Well - I wasn't suggesting that he go to a bad teacher . . . . .

I know of no musician in history that picked up concepts of value by only reading about them. Dan is a beginner and he needs an educated guide, in the room, answering Q's and showing him on the instrument. You see it different?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
Landru,

I agree...although, sometimes, it's good for the teacher to play just to inspire the student. Basically, saying, if you do what I show you, you can do what I do.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:26 AM

I know there a quite of few of us on this forum that are on the wrong side of 50 and most of us started playing guitar at a young age. Back then we didn't have the internet or youtube of any of the resourses that makes learning songs and understanding music that much easier. Dang most of us learned from friends or simply sat around listening to records and spent our time trying to figure out the chords to songs we were listening to. I couldn't afford to take guitar lessons back then and i was never good at relating to what i read in a book and applying it to my playing. So i guess a lot of it was trial and error and because i didn't have a natural aptitude for music it made that learning curve difficult for me.

With hindsight (which is always wonderful) if i were to have the opportunity to go back and start over and i had the opportunity to avail of the services of a music teacher this is was what i'd ask them to teach me.

1. I want to learn all the chords that are commonly used in guitar playing.

2. I want to learn how chords are constructed.

3. I want to learn all the chord progressions that are common to every key.

4. I want to learn all the commonly used scales so i can play some lead guitar.

5. I want to be able to learn how to quickly figure out the key someone is singing in so i can play along while they sing.

6. I want to learn how to transpose a song that i already know into the key the singer is singing in and i want to be able to do that on the fly.

Then after lunch ......

Last edited by celticlofts; 08-27-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBelly View Post
Here is a reference and instruction manual that contains a lifetime learning. Everything you ever need to know about music theory and guitar is included. I bought this book in 1982 when it first came out and it has been my mainstay. I reccommend this to anyone who is interested in music theory no matter the players experience.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Guitar-Han...uitar+handbook

Blues
Thanks for this link. I just read all the available excerpts from the book and placed my order. Looks like it's going to be very engaging.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Music theory specifically for guitar is kind of vague, IMO. Music theory is the same for any instrument. I think, what you are looking for are the technical aspects of how apply theory onto the fretboard specifically.
Exactly.
"Music theory" is anything about music that can apply to any instrument (including guitar). It's about how music itself works, and the terms and concepts we use to describe the sounds.
Anything specific to guitar - ie how the theory is applied to guitar, eg via scale patterns or chord shapes - that's "technique", not "theory".
Eg,
"C major chord = the notes C, E, and G" - that's theory.
"C major chord = x 3 2 0 1 0" - that's guitar technique.

Obviously both matter, but I think the distinction is useful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write