The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-02-2013, 11:47 PM

Default Can't learn covers anymore!

So, I have kind of different problem that some of you might relate to. For the last 2 years or so, I just can't seem to learn or play covers anymore.

I've played over 20 years, I'm a fairly capable guitarist, and I have a decent repertoire of original music that I'm fairly proud of. But lately when I sit down to work on someone else's music, I quickly get discouraged, bored, and impatient. My last attempts at learning covers have been a Leo Kottke tune and then one by Blind Blake. I couldn't sustain my efforts long enough to get very far with either. I have been able to continue writing my own music, I just don't seem to have the zest for learning covers anymore. And I've tried working on more simple music, but I just don't enjoy it much, and while I can get simpler parts down very quickly, my retention just goes out the window.

I'd like to get into some Scott Joplin arrangements, and could use some tips from some older players who are still learning new tricks. How do you stay fresh and inspired while learning new music?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

My approach is to work on more than one tune at a time, and choose those based on what I perceive as something unique about them...

Instrumental versions of some of the songs that capture my imagination, perhaps, but mostly I enjoy the process of transcribing / arranging music intended for other instruments (mainly ragtime piano - going thro' a James Scott phase at the moment!). Lately I have more time available so the fact that I am not very quick at doing this isn't a frustration, but I do have to make an effort not to just 'accept' what I have achieved at some point.

What is also enjoyable is that there is no right or wrong result and the process doesn't necessarily come to a finite end, and how I play a given piece will change over time.

Like you, I would loose interest if the goal was merely to try to reproduce what the original artist played.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

Last edited by RodB; 09-03-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:23 AM

I have to learn new covers constantly, at my age which is not young.

Here is what I do. I obtain a copy of the lyrics and chords, either by chordie.com, youtube or writing them out, and transcribing them to a key I enjoy.

Then I learn each verse, line by line. I stand and play it, again and again. Each time u go on to the next line, or verse, you start from the beginning, again and again again for 3 days.;

You will have learned it, inside out.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusiathread View Post
…I just don't seem to have the zest for learning covers anymore.
…I'd like to get into some Scott Joplin arrangements, and could use some tips from some older players who are still learning new tricks. How do you stay fresh and inspired while learning new music?
Hi amusiathread…

At 65, retired, and not having as many 'demands' on my time, I have to be motivated to learn new stuff. My gigging partner and I try to schedule an outing at least monthly so we have 'goals' to shoot for.

When I get motivated you cannot stop me, and I get pretty intentional and organized about learning.

If I have no goal or target for my playing, I can be a bit lazy about locking things down.

Sounds like your issue is motivation, not technique.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusiathread View Post
So, I have kind of different problem that some of you might relate to. For the last 2 years or so, I just can't seem to learn or play covers anymore.

I've played over 20 years, I'm a fairly capable guitarist, and I have a decent repertoire of original music that I'm fairly proud of. But lately when I sit down to work on someone else's music, I quickly get discouraged, bored, and impatient. My last attempts at learning covers have been a Leo Kottke tune and then one by Blind Blake. I couldn't sustain my efforts long enough to get very far with either. I have been able to continue writing my own music, I just don't seem to have the zest for learning covers anymore. And I've tried working on more simple music, but I just don't enjoy it much, and while I can get simpler parts down very quickly, my retention just goes out the window.

I'd like to get into some Scott Joplin arrangements, and could use some tips from some older players who are still learning new tricks. How do you stay fresh and inspired while learning new music?
Sounds to me as if you just don't like those tunes enough.

Question is, why do you want to learn covers? A vague goal of expanding your repertoire or techniques (maybe because you think you should) is not enough. A tune has to really grab you to make you want to learn it.

You say you'd "like to get into some Scott Joplin arrangements" - how much would you like to? How desperate are you? My guess is, not enough; it doesn't matter enough to you, otherwise you'd be doing it now, and not giving up till you'd mastered at least one.

From what you say, you probably get enough inner satisfaction from your own music, or from covers you learned years ago. That's fine.
Why not try writing a new tune of your own, in the style of Joplin (or whoever)?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Just have to find songs you like enough. I spend most of my time writing and playing my own compositions but below are links to a few covers I liked enough to learn to play (and I tabbed out a couple of them).
Here are youtube links I came across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkYuUMjCZZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5E_7FwpWPw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bx_azHu6c4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSYTxZo5gdo

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write