The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2022, 09:56 AM

Default Humidipaks vs Boveda pricing

I’ve used exclusively Humidipaks for my guitars but as I’ve gotten more guitars I’ve started buying 12 packs of these types of humidifiers.
My understanding is that they are both made by Boveda just different labeling.
The last two times I’ve purchased a 12 pack I’ve bought Boveda because the 12 pack is under $50 vs the Humidipaks being $70. Boveda is the 70 size and 49% humidity that they label for guitars.
Am I missing something? Why such a big price difference?
Old 12-05-2022, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Branding.

That's it.

D'Addario name is worth more money.

Not to me.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Branding.

That's it.

Not to me.
/thread

Also, imo, regarding the kits, the Boveda cloth pouches are nicer, and the Boveda kits come with two double-pouch pouches, as opposed to the D’Addario kits, which come with one double- and one single-pouch pouches.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Branding.

That's it.

Not to me.
That’s what I thought but 16% savings, I’ll take it.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
/thread

Also, imo, regarding the kits, the Boveda cloth pouches are nicer, and the Boveda kits come with two double-pouch pouches, as opposed to the D’Addario kits, which come with one double- and one single-pouch pouches.
I do have both but putting four packs in here in Minnesota is a help.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:13 PM

The Humidipaks are made by Boveda. The Boveda logo is right there on the pack.

Old 12-05-2022, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Piggybacking on this thread.

I ordered a set of the D'Addario and did not know that there are two types, 'Restore' and 'Maintain.' Both keep the humidity around 45-50% so what is the difference? It seems that restore can put out more moisture or absorb moisture FASTER? Since both maintain the same humidity - why not just use the Restore? Or does the restore not absorb humidity?

Curious about the difference.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2022, 12:10 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
Piggybacking on this thread.

I ordered a set of the D'Addario and did not know that there are two types, 'Restore' and 'Maintain.' Both keep the humidity around 45-50% so what is the difference? It seems that restore can put out more moisture or absorb moisture FASTER? Since both maintain the same humidity - why not just use the Restore? Or does the restore not absorb humidity?

Curious about the difference.

Thanks.
Restore is designed for 72% RH to re-hydrate an excessively dry instrument. Then you'd switch to Maintain (49% RH) to keep it where you need it. Restore isn't meant to be the primary use as it can eventually over-hydrate your instrument. The RH numbers are printed on the individual packets. Some more info in a prior discussion here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=600417
Old 12-06-2022, 12:42 AM

Default Humidifier

Can someone elaborate on the value of these humidifiers for those who use one guitar daily, indoors, in an area of average humidity and temperature? (California coastal city, temperature ranges 50-70) I try and put guitar (4 year old Martin) back in case at night when not in use and have not seen need for this product. The shop that sets my instrument up now and then never mentioned this (I didn’t ask). Plays well, looks and seems fine. Am I missing something?

Last edited by Harlowv; 12-06-2022 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 12-06-2022, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlowv View Post
Can someone elaborate on the value of these humidifiers for those who use one guitar daily, indoors, in an area of average humidity and temperature? (California coastal city, temperature ranges 50-70) I try and put guitar (4 year old Martin) back in case at night when not in use and have not seen need for this product. The shop that sets my instrument up now and then never mentioned this (I didn’t ask). Plays well, looks and seems fine. Am I missing something?
Humidipaks (or the Boveda) are a terrific way to keep your guitar hydrated in the typical recommended range of 45-55%.

In reference to your guitar, the first thing you need to do is monitor the humidity level inside the case with a hygrometer. Never assume what the temp and humidity level is.

Once you know what the humidity level is, you can determine what to do next - maintain, humidify, or dehumidify.

Last edited by Kh1967; 12-06-2022 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlowv View Post
I'm sure it depends on which coastal city. We visited SF and Santa Cruz late this summer, and I'd not realized how humid it runs there, every day was above 70% RH. In those conditions, I'd be thinking about a dehumidifier, however you're safe from the serious damage that comes when an instrument gets down into the 30s RH.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:28 AM

Default boveda

Hey--based on this thread and the link to boveda, I just order two kits. Weird though--they dont have the packets like D;Adario. Instead they have one pack to place in a pouch and straps on to the strings over the soundhole. they say it directs the humidity into the instrument.
1965 Gibson J-45 w/K&K/Ultratonic conversion
1940's??? Harmony Patrician archtop
2002 Taylor Big Baby
1985 Kentucky KM850 mando w/lr baggs radius
1959 Gibson A-5 Mando
2004 Fender Strat (Mexican)
Army bugle
Old autoharp
Indian flute
Cowbell
Old 12-06-2022, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie-f View Post
I'm sure it depends on which coastal city. We visited SF and Santa Cruz late this summer, and I'd not realized how humid it runs there, every day was above 70% RH. In those conditions, I'd be thinking about a dehumidifier, however you're safe from the serious damage that comes when an instrument gets down into the 30s RH.
Boveda make 49% HA (high absorbency) packs for times when the humidity is 50+% and higher. My home is 70%+ for most of the year and they seem to hold my case just under 60%, which is absolutely fine. My problem is that I can no longer find them in stock anywhere in the UK. And Boveda has not answered my emails asking for stockists, despite trying to contact them from 2 different email addresses. So once my present packs stop working I will have to search for another solution.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Restore is designed for 72% RH to re-hydrate an excessively dry instrument. Then you'd switch to Maintain (49% RH) to keep it where you need it. Restore isn't meant to be the primary use as it can eventually over-hydrate your instrument. The RH numbers are printed on the individual packets. Some more info in a prior discussion here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=600417
So using the Restore regularly will over hydrate a guitar and possibly make it swell up? It is dangerous to the well being of the guitar?

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
So using the Restore regularly will over hydrate a guitar and possibly make it swell up? It is dangerous to the well being of the guitar?

Thanks.
The Humidipaks are basically a slurry of salt, water and some kind of gel. The formulations differ in the amount of water in the slurry. From what I’ve read, the “maintain” packs come with greater than 50% moisture charge, so they are better at hydrating than dehydrating (and most people use them to hydrate as the RH drops). The seasoning or “hydrate” packs are designed as much if not more so for hydrating a wooden case. The pack may say 72% on it, but I highly doubt that it would ever get a case and guitar up to that level if the RH outside of the case is below 50%—the pack is fighting a losing battle. But if left sealed in the case for a long time, it could go over 60%, which is why D’Addario and Boveda say to switch to the “maintain” packs once the RH in the case reaches 45 - 50%.

The advantage of Humidipaks over sponges is that they are two-way, whereas a sponge is one-way. That said, I find that “maintain” Humidipaks can struggle to maintain 45% RH if the RH outside the case is below ~35%. I will typically add an Oasis or other small humidifier in the case when that happens. I have a Venta airwasher in my office/guitar room, but even it struggles when the RH gets down into the 20% range.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion