The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvanesebob View Post
It most certainly does.

Say for example... you adjust the nut action with a relief of lets say .015 for example. Then you go to set your relief to lets say .005, you are most likely going to get open string buzz.
I still don't follow. If I always measure nut action at the 1st fret with strings depressed onto 2nd and 3rd fret, what difference does flat neck vs normal relief make? The difference the relief makes between the nut and 2nd fret must surely be negligible.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
I still don't follow. If I always measure nut action at the 1st fret with strings depressed onto 2nd and 3rd fret, what difference does flat neck vs normal relief make? The difference the relief makes between the nut and 2nd fret must surely be negligible.
If you set the nut action that close with relief in the neck, and then decide you want less relief or even a flat neck, the nut action could change enough to cause open string buzz.

Do this experiment...

set your neck flat and measure the action at the first fret, then set your neck to .010 and check that measurement again.

When you are setting nut action as though it was a zero fret, there is very little room for error. It only takes .001 or .002 to be the difference between buzz and no buzz.

Martin D-28 Satin
Fender American Ultra Telecaster
Old 12-06-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
If you set the nut action that close with relief in the neck, and then decide you want less relief or even a flat neck, the nut action could change enough to cause open string buzz.

Do this experiment...

set your neck flat and measure the action at the first fret, then set your neck to .010 and check that measurement again.

When you are setting nut action as though it was a zero fret, there is very little room for error. It only takes .001 or .002 to be the difference between buzz and no buzz.
I'll do the experiment another day but if I understand right you're saying that the curvature of the neck between nut and 2nd fret varies significantly as we adjust relief over a normal range. Therefore my assumption that this difference is small enough to be neglected is not valid.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:28 AM

Since nut slot height needs to be (at minimum) the first fret height and relief does not change the fret height (of course), it doesnt affect open string buzz caused by nut slot too low.

The nut slot adjustment should be done FIRST and while pressing the 3rd fret, so it's not influenced by any other variable.

Saddle should be adjusted only after nut and relief are correctly set.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:32 AM

As you straighten a neck, the strings move closer to all the frets. The 1st fret the least amount, 2nd fret a little more, 3rd a little more, etc...

To get the best nut action, you should set the nut as if it was a zero fret. What this means is... if you fret on any fret, and look at the gap of the next fret, that is the same gap you want at the non fretted 1st fret (and maybe .001 or .002 more). If you do it to this close of a tolerance with relief in the neck, and then later you decide you want less relief or even a straight neck, you could wind up with open string buzz.

If you adjust the nut fretting at the 3rd and leaving a noticeable gap at the 1st fret, then it probably won't matter, but if you want the absolute best playability, you should set the nut as though it was a zero fret.

You guys/gals can do it anyway you want though. I am just trying to pass on a little knowledge.

Martin D-28 Satin
Old 12-07-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
You guys/gals can do it anyway you want though. I am just trying to pass on a little knowledge.
I appreciate it. My questions were to ensure I understood you.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
I appreciate it. My questions were to ensure I understood you.
Glad to help. Just know that if you want that close of a nut action, just file a little at a time. It is very easy to take too much off.

Martin D-28 Satin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion