The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-01-2022, 03:34 PM

Default How to rewire/restore a broken P/J Clone Bass? (detailed photos included)

I just got a precision/ Jazz clone bass with some wiring issues. Most of the wires are still plugged in and seem to work great, but there are a couple of wires that I have to re-solder.

The black cable comes from the bottom P-Bass pickup. The yellow cable with the white cable coming out of it comes from the bottom J-Bass pickup.
I was wondering if anyone had any wiring diagrams or knows where I should solder the three cables?

I am especially curious about the yellow cable with the small white cable coming out. Where would that go?

Old 12-01-2022, 05:47 PM

A search for p/jazz bass wiring diagram yielded this. Thousands of wiring diagrams on line by searching similarly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=p%2F...TFmE4OxDw7XmTM
Old 12-01-2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceties55 View Post
I just got a precision/ Jazz clone bass with some wiring issues. Most of the wires are still plugged in and seem to work great, but there are a couple of wires that I have to re-solder.

The black cable comes from the bottom P-Bass pickup. The yellow cable with the white cable coming out of it comes from the bottom J-Bass pickup.
I was wondering if anyone had any wiring diagrams or knows where I should solder the three cables?

I am especially curious about the yellow cable with the small white cable coming out. Where would that go?

The Seymour Duncan website has a resources section that has wiring diagrams for virtually any instrument you can think of. It looks like you have a standard PJ configuration with two volumes and one tone control. HERE is an example from the S-D website.

The "Yellow cable" is the outer jacket of the shielded wire coming from the J pickup. The yellow part is stripped back to reveal the braided shield (ground wire) and the small white wire is the "hot" conductor from the pickup. The braided shield under the yellow jacketing in your photo is the same as the wire noted as "black" in the S-D wiring diagram.

In your case that braided shield under the yellow jacketing is the wire that gets soldered to any of the pot cases, the "ground" connection.

The reason why these two pickups seem to have different wires from them is because the P pickup (set) is wired together to effectively be hum-bucking, while the J pickup is a single coil and will resist picking up hum and RFI much better if the wire is of the shielded type.

Last edited by Rudy4; 12-01-2022 at 08:30 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair