The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-01-2022, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Default Squier Paranormal Series deals

I'm weak, and just ordered a Squier Paranormal Series Offset Tele in Olympic White.

ProAudioStar has a bunch of the Paranormal series available open box (without warranty) for $199 with free shipping. Which seems a pretty good deal.

I was really eyeballing that Toronado in Mystic Seafoam green.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-01-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post

Hey warfrat,
Yeah, a good looking little hot rod! A Jazzmaster/Jaguar body with a hard tail and Atomic Humbuckers is a way cool ride! I didn’t look to see if it were regular or short scale? Either way it looks like a fun guitar to have in the arsenal.

EDIT- it is a short scale at 24.75” just like the Jaguars are.

frank d.

Last edited by Chickee; 12-01-2022 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Add
Old 12-01-2022, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, it's a short scale, that's why I went with the "tele." I'm more of a long scale guy. But I really like the look of that green Toronado.

The tele body is also routed for a neck humbucker and middle pickup. So you can do some cool stuff with it. Wire it up like a strat, put filtertrons in it, etc.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-01-2022, 11:48 AM

Glad I saw this! Trying to learn guitar repair/set ups and picked up an open box Classic vibe strat for $215 shipped.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Here's the Oly White "Tele" that I ordered (might have to put a different pickguard on there):

And the Toronado that I'm definitely not going to order after I've had a few tasty beverages later:

(Call me Dan)
Old 12-02-2022, 03:34 PM

I jumped on that open box Pro Audio Star sale as well. Today my Squier Classic Vibe 60's Thinline Tele showed up. Got a great price on it. $219.99

It sounds and plays great, but arrived with a wobbly tuner - the G machine head...

Trying to decide now whether to send it back for an exchange, or not.. Other than the wobbly tuner, I really like the guitar..

Old 12-03-2022, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
It sounds and plays great, but arrived with a wobbly tuner - the G machine head...
Nice.

It always seems to be the g string.

So far I've held off on ordering the Toronado, but I am wishing that I spent the extra $30 to get the shell pink instead of the OW.

(Call me Dan)
Old 12-03-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Nice.

It always seems to be the g string.

So far I've held off on ordering the Toronado, but I am wishing that I spent the extra $30 to get the shell pink instead of the OW.
Ain't that the truth?!!

Yeah, I hear you on the shell pink. I really want a guitar in that finish - always have. Maybe I'll start my search again for one..

Decided to keep the CV Thinline Tele, although I'm pretty sure I'm going to swap out the stock tuners. After lowering the action and setting the intonation last night, it's playing a lot better.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Mine showed up today. Haven't plugged it in yet. But, it's honestly nicer than I expected. Feels good, nice finish (looks better in person than in the pics). The neck feels very similar to my MIJ Strat (E seriel #). The gloss is a bit sticky, but a nice feature at this price. Will have to hit it with a bit of steel wool, though.

It's also pretty light, which is nice.

I like the neck a lot better than the one on my G&L Tribute ASAT.

(Call me Dan)
Old 12-04-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Mine showed up today. Haven't plugged it in yet. But, it's honestly nicer than I expected. Feels good, nice finish (looks better in person than in the pics). The neck feels very similar to my MIJ Strat (E seriel #). The gloss is a bit sticky, but a nice feature at this price. Will have to hit it with a bit of steel wool, though.

It's also pretty light, which is nice.

I like the neck a lot better than the one on my G&L Tribute ASAT.
Yeah, the gloss neck is a bit sticky on my CV60's Thinline as well, but a little rubdown with a green Scotch Brite pad should do the trick.

My Thinline weighs in at a nice 6 lb 4 oz.

Old 12-04-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I'm weak, and just ordered a Squier Paranormal Series Offset Tele in Olympic White.

ProAudioStar has a bunch of the Paranormal series available open box (without warranty) for $199 with free shipping. Which seems a pretty good deal.

Those offset Tele's are sweet, if they quit making them I can forsee those guitars becoming somewhat collectible.

Honestly, as much as a Toronado seems like it should be right up my ally, I've played a few and found them pretty undewhelming. Even though I prefer the Gibson scale, the Toronado just feels like a Tele Deluxe that lost its soul, maybe Fender just doesnt do the shorter scale very well? YMMV.

Last edited by Bushleague; 12-04-2022 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post

My Thinline weighs in at a nice 6 lb 4 oz.
Mine's about 7 lbs 3oz (but not a thinline), which comes in about 3 or 4 oz less than my hardtail strat and about 8 oz less than my G&L ASAT

(Call me Dan)
Old 12-04-2022, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Those offset Tele's are sweet, if they quit making them I can forsee those guitars becoming somewhat collectible.
Judging by the asking prices of the first run on Reverb, I think some people think the already have. The only Seafoam one available right now has a $550 asking price used.

(Call me Dan)
Old 12-05-2022, 08:45 AM

I received my Classic Vibe 60's Strat yesterday and I'm pretty blown away.
I used to be all about the player series, but now I'm not sure if I'd even bother.
Being mainly into acoustics now I could really care less if it says Fender.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Judging by the asking prices of the first run on Reverb, I think some people think the already have. The only Seafoam one available right now has a $550 asking price used.
Before those came out I remember seeing Paul Brant's guitarist using one, must have been a custom shop thing, and thinking it was pretty cool. I'll take a Tele over any other Fender guitar every day of the week, but I do have to admit that the ballance is nowhere near as nice as a Strat or JM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars