The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-30-2022, 11:13 AM

Default Seeking help with a sound setup situation for the coming weekend

Hi all,

I'm a member of the rythm section (Piano, Bass, Guitar, Percussion) for a 50 voice chorale group and a medium sized orchestra ensemble.

Sunday we will do the annual Christmas concert. Which will be played in the City Hall here in town.

It's a pretty spacious area, an old building built in the late 1800s.

The Chorale singers will be on the stage, the piano and the rest of us scattered on the floor in front of the stage

The guy who usually helps with getting the piano mic'd will be out of town, so I've been asked if I can set the mic for the piano up.

This is only being done so the chorale singers can hear the piano as much as possible. we'll be sitting near enough to hear it.

The amp that was loaned out for this is an old Crate Keyboard amp with one SM58. Clearly not any sort of ideal setup.

I'm thinking I can do a bit better.

My plan A at the moment is to use two SM58s, set them in the center of the soundboard, about 10/12 inches from the strings. Placed more or less at the same spot.

I'll set my 2 BOSE S1s on poles on either side of the stage, and run one mic cable from each sm58 to each (left side, right side)

Plan B is a little more involved and I'm not sure I have long enough XLR cables to do this..

The idea was still use two omni directional mics, (SM58s) but separated a bit, (one for bass side, one for treble side) run those to my 12 channel board, and then the mains out to stage left Bose s1, stage right Bose s1

is it really worth that though just for monitoring purposes?

I think Plan A probably do the job and is a much easier setup

I have the XLRs to support that

So any sound engineers reading this, what are your thoughts?

thanks in advance!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 11-30-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:15 PM

Will you be able to do a sound check WELL BEFORE curtain time? (Best if you could do it before the date of performance.)

If, during performance, you find the sound distribution less than acceptable, would you have a chance to adjust things?

Once a year event, your first time doing it. I sympathize with you and wish I had more specific advice.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:49 PM

What kind of piano? Grand or upright?

Found this...may be helpful:
https://mxlmics.com/micing-a-piano/

I'd go with plan A. Keep it simple.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 11-30-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
Will you be able to do a sound check WELL BEFORE curtain time? (Best if you could do it before the date of performance.)

If, during performance, you find the sound distribution less than acceptable, would you have a chance to adjust things?

Once a year event, your first time doing it. I sympathize with you and wish I had more specific advice.
should have time to get it setup and see what I have but the rooms gonna be empty, the rest of the crew wont be there yet, and it will just be a test with the piano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
What kind of piano? Grand or upright?

Found this...may be helpful:
https://mxlmics.com/micing-a-piano/

I'd go with plan A. Keep it simple.
it's a 9 foot Grand

I'm thinking the same, just get something there to do the job.

thanks guys!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 11-30-2022, 07:29 PM

I'd opt for simplicity.

Why not run your two mics to the two inputs of a single S1 and then feed the line out to the second S1? That way you can mix the two mics optimally and port the same mix to all your performers.

As a side note, SM58s are cardioid polar pattern, not omni-directional.

Most folks who mic pianos, grand or otherwise, often use two mics spaced a couple of feet apart to get the best range possible of what the piano has to offer.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'd opt for simplicity.

Why not run your two mics to the two inputs of a single S1 and then feed the line out to the second S1? That way you can mix the two mics optimally and port the same mix to all your performers.

As a side note, SM58s are cardioid polar pattern, not omni-directional.

Most folks who mic pianos, grand or otherwise, often use two mics spaced a couple of feet apart to get the best range possible of what the piano has to offer.
hey Rudy I thought about that. I would need to use an XLR cable and a Hi-Z to Low-Z converter, I don't have an unbalanced cable long enough the stage is probably 50ft across. but yea,, that's another option.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 12-06-2022, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

I know this is late, but.

Just because the stage is 50' wide doesn't mean you have to put speakers all the way to the edge.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:38 AM

Actually I did, if you saw the logistic setup, you would understand.

There are about 50 voices in the chorale group

their chairs were placed in front of the stage on risers with the piano on the floor on the right side of the area. Those on the opposite side of the stage would have been too far away from the piano to have any hope of hearing it.

Those closer were competing with the brass section, drums bass and guitar were behind the piano

But I got it sorted out.

I ran two sm58s from inside the piano pointing at the bench and down to each bose s1. it worked good, everyone was able to hear the piano better than they have ever heard it before. Not sure what the other guy did, but this according to the people singing, worked much better.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification