The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-29-2022, 10:13 AM

Default Bose S1 - does it accept Hi Z? I have a hi z mic and guitar

I apologize for asking, but I cannot find this info anywhere. I just picked up an Everse 8 which has one hi Z input. That’s cool, but I need the ability to put two hi z inputs into it. My microphone is a hi z microphone i wear on a harmonica rack to play blues harp and sing into while playing guitar and busking. Maybe I could just ignore the hi z thing? This I don’t know. The output is super high, around 50k, and my guitar is not active. I haven’t tried the full set up with guitar but I worry that there will be issues as I’ve been told the impedances will cause some sort of issue in input one.

So regarding the Bose, is it the same sort of input as the Everse, or are they able to handle a hiZ? I realize I could always use a mixer or other devices, but I’m attempting to go extremely plug and play if possible. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:46 AM

the Bose S1 use Neutriks inputs, so they can support both XLR (Low Z) and a 1/4 jack from a guitar, if that's what you're asking?

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-29-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
the Bose S1 use Neutriks inputs, so they can support both XLR (Low Z) and a 1/4 jack from a guitar, if that's what you're asking?
Well here’s the thing. The Everse has those too. But input two is supposedly specifically for high impedance. So I’m just confused, if you can plug in a 1/4 into the other one…what happens? And does the Bose “support” high impedance or does it just accept the jack for it?
Old 11-29-2022, 11:20 AM

Actually to make it easier. If you plug a passive guitar in does it have volume issues? A high impedance guitar probably would need tons of boost. That’s what I’m curious about. I’ve heard you need a preamp.
Old 11-29-2022, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
Actually to make it easier. If you plug a passive guitar in does it have volume issues? A high impedance guitar probably would need tons of boost. That’s what I’m curious about. I’ve heard you need a preamp.
I have never had an issue plugging a guitar with a passive pickup into the 1/4" jack on my S1 Pro. I get plenty of volume going directly into the amp. I do prefer to use a preamp as it gives me more control that the standard Bass, Volume and Reverb controls on the amp, but signal level is not an issue.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-29-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I have never had an issue plugging a guitar with a passive pickup into the 1/4" jack on my S1 Pro. I get plenty of volume going directly into the amp. I do prefer to use a preamp as it gives me more control that the standard Bass, Volume and Reverb controls on the amp, but signal level is not an issue.
Curious what pickup you use?
Old 11-29-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
no, I didn't have any volume control issues

I've done wedding ceremonies in an Apple Orchard and on a beach on the North Shore in Mass..

I had one mic w/XLR
Just my guitar and 1/4 cable pickup: fishman Infinity
and a Bose S1 fully charged on a pole.

All worked just about perfectly, aside from the wind on the beach and the pungent smell of cow manure... hey, wasn't MY idea... !LOL!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-29-2022, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

I have guitars with a K & K passive pickup, Taylor ES1 and an Anthem SL in them and have had no trouble with any of these plugged into the S1. I've also run my Tele or Kala UBass into the S1 without any problems. Finally, my mandolin with a K & K pickup also sounds fine and doesn't need a preamp. I've used preamps with the S1 and instruments but for tone shaping, not for additional volume.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I apologize for asking, but I cannot find this info anywhere. I just picked up an Everse 8 which has one hi Z input. That’s cool, but I need the ability to put two hi z inputs into it. My microphone is a hi z microphone i wear on a harmonica rack to play blues harp and sing into while playing guitar and busking. Maybe I could just ignore the hi z thing? This I don’t know. The output is super high, around 50k, and my guitar is not active. I haven’t tried the full set up with guitar but I worry that there will be issues as I’ve been told the impedances will cause some sort of issue in input one.

So regarding the Bose, is it the same sort of input as the Everse, or are they able to handle a hiZ? I realize I could always use a mixer or other devices, but I’m attempting to go extremely plug and play if possible. Thanks everyone.
It looks like the jack on channel 2 for the EV will sense a hi impedance load (like a guitar pickup, typically around 1M ohm) and adjust the circuit accordingly. If you plug a line-level source it stays low. Bose doesn't say in the manual exactly what they do but tone match may have impedance matching built into the circuit. So you might be able to switch the tone match to instrument for both channels and run the mic and guitar.

I can confirm that plugging a piezo instrument (guitar, dobro, banjo) sounds better direct into the hi-z input on my EV 30M than the other jacks/channels - likely due to the impedance matching. I can make the other channels work, but the hi z input does what it is supposed to do. This does depend on the impedance of the pickup in your guitar and as always ymmv.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 11-29-2022, 05:51 PM

In my experience, many Hi Z mics are low quality and don't sound very good.
I suggest that you take your mic to something like Guitar Center and A?B it against something like a Shure SM-58 vocal mic.
If it sounds comparable, you will be good to go.
Otherwise, you may want to upgrade the mic with a Low Z type.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
In my experience, many Hi Z mics are low quality and don't sound very good.
I suggest that you take your mic to something like Guitar Center and A?B it against something like a Shure SM-58 vocal mic.
If it sounds comparable, you will be good to go.
Otherwise, you may want to upgrade the mic with a Low Z type.
This is a specialty mic to wear on a harmonica rack so it’s somewhat in replaceable. I will say I’m getting a decent amount of floor noise from the system no matter how I set it or input. Not sure if that’s me or if that’s just normal. Not sure if the Bose has floor noise too
Old 11-29-2022, 08:13 PM

You could try an adapter that changes Hi Z to Low Z.
That may help and they are cheap.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
You could try an adapter that changes Hi Z to Low Z.
That may help and they are cheap.
It may. I’ll have to keep messing with this as I’m not able to get a really acceptable noise floor.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:47 AM

The s1 doesn't have a dedicated Hi-Z input but if it sounds right - it is right.

As far as the harmonica mic goes I've seen some very expensive but impractical mics swapped out for super-cheap lavalier mics with a battery box so no need for phantom power. Can be clipped, taped or glued as appropriate.

I keep an ART dual pre in the gig box for when some kind of front end is required for the S1, works nice.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/art_usb_dual_pre.htm
Old 11-30-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
The s1 doesn't have a dedicated Hi-Z input but if it sounds right - it is right.

As far as the harmonica mic goes I've seen some very expensive but impractical mics swapped out for super-cheap lavalier mics with a battery box so no need for phantom power. Can be clipped, taped or glued as appropriate.

I keep an ART dual pre in the gig box for when some kind of front end is required for the S1, works nice.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/art_usb_dual_pre.htm
So I attempted to use an amp simulator pedal I have which has a 1k output, similar to a DI which often outs at 800. Highly improved the situation of noise for whatever reason. There’s still some high end hiss, but I assume floor noise will always be normal overall to some degree. I’d be curious for someone with a Bose to let me know if theirs is dead silent or something. I’m still thinking I’ll try one before I keep this.

Regarding the harmonica microphone, it is this http://www.blowsmeaway.com/rackit.html

You won’t achieve the same thing with a lavalier mic as I’m looking to maintain the cupping effect. The upside or downside to this mic is it is ultra high impedance for a mic or even guitar pickup at 50k, but works well with a guitar amp for example.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification