The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-16-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Come on Steve, you've piqued my interest now… what guitars do you remember from when we were youngsters that would fit this category? I can't think of any that would fit the bill...
Just off the top of my head:
  • "A" neck Fenders - not too common on the pro-line instruments (the "B" neck was standard) but they were a factory option well into the CBS era
  • Certain "B" neck Fenders from late '60 through early/mid '61 - a few of the ones I've seen were carved a little thinner front-to-back
  • Many Gibson electrics from the early-60's through the early-Norlin era, as well as their USA Epiphone counterparts, that boasted the 1-9/16" flat-C neck profile (Quick: how many early hard-rockers/metalheads played Gen I/II SG's...?)
Probably others I can't recall right now, and I'm sure some purists would consider the Gibson/Epi with its medium-jumbo frets the only true vintage shred neck (RPO Fenders all had the skinnies then) - but hey, it all had to start somewhere...
Old 11-17-2022, 03:35 AM

My "rules"
1. 12"+ radius. This generally allows for lower action. Bends don't choke out as easily if using really light strings.
2. Medium jumbo or jumbo frets. Stainless steel is a plus. This allows you to lighten your fretting hand. Stainless steel last longer and feel really slick when bending.
3. Medium to slim neck. I know people complain, but a classical-ish fretting hand comes in handy.
4. Medium to high output humbuckers. These might seem harsh, but will mellow a bit if you pick lighter.

The overall goal of a "shred" guitar is to play lighter. Speed via brute force can work, but often leads to joint issues sooner or later. I used to enjoy playing as fast as possible. It's more about comfort these days.

Ibanez usually ticks all of these boxes. Charvel's MIM and USA line offer solid options at a reasonable price. Some of the new Kramer imports are a good value.

Last edited by s2y; 11-17-2022 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And in all honesty thats exactly how i feel about the listings in your signature line. I haven’t got a clue what that stuff is, so we’re even. No harm, no foul.������

frank d.
Ha, interesting - Well the gear in my sig line is my basic home recording system (targeted at the Recording forum) And you just made me realize I should add the word Avid to Carbon interface And PT Ultimate is the recording software "Pro Tools Ultimate" and version number. The rest is just the specifications of my recording computer an Apple iMac

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-17-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Just off the top of my head:
  • "A" neck Fenders - not too common on the pro-line instruments (the "B" neck was standard) but they were a factory option well into the CBS era
  • Certain "B" neck Fenders from late '60 through early/mid '61 - a few of the ones I've seen were carved a little thinner front-to-back
  • Many Gibson electrics from the early-60's through the early-Norlin era, as well as their USA Epiphone counterparts, that boasted the 1-9/16" flat-C neck profile (Quick: how many early hard-rockers/metalheads played Gen I/II SG's...?)
Probably others I can't recall right now, and I'm sure some purists would consider the Gibson/Epi with its medium-jumbo frets the only true vintage shred neck (RPO Fenders all had the skinnies then) - but hey, it all had to start somewhere...
I didn’t know anything about Fender “a” and “b” necks. Thanks for that. And also, we both forgot about FLYING V’s and EXPLORERS!!! Those were the real go to guitars at the beginning of the shred style after SG’s and LesPauls!
Old 11-17-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
My "rules"
1. 12"+ radius. This generally allows for lower action. Bends don't choke out as easily if using really light strings.
2. Medium jumbo or jumbo frets. Stainless steel is a plus. This allows you to lighten your fretting hand. Stainless steel last longer and feel really slick when bending.
3. Medium to slim neck. I know people complain, but a classical-ish fretting hand comes in handy.
4. Medium to high output humbuckers. These might seem harsh, but will mellow a bit if you pick lighter.

The overall goal of a "shred" guitar is to play lighter. Speed via brute force can work, but often leads to joint issues sooner or later. I used to enjoy playing as fast as possible. It's more about comfort these days.

Ibanez usually ticks all of these boxes. Charvel's MIM and USA line offer solid options at a reasonable price. Some of the new Kramer imports are a good value.
Hey s2y, thank you for this first hand tutorial! If I knew forty five years ago what I know now about how guitars do things I might have taken a very different musical path.
fd
Old 11-17-2022, 09:16 AM

Shred guitar are fun and so comfortable to play. A guy I play with has a couple that I've played, some kind of Suhr model that I can't remember right now and a John Petrucci Music Man. That Music Man is excellent!! I never hear much about the brand, but the list of pro players is huge.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaze3 View Post
Shred guitar are fun and so comfortable to play. A guy I play with has a couple that I've played, some kind of Suhr model that I can't remember right now and a John Petrucci Music Man. That Music Man is excellent!! I never hear much about the brand, but the list of pro players is huge.
It’s interesting you say that about ErnieBall/MusicMan guitars. If you take a deep dive into their products, the premium guitars they make are just beautiful to look at, cutting edge, state of the art instruments, with price tags that go right along with those features! From hardtails to any shredders dream rig, and with really classic builds in between. As you say, you never hear much about the brand. How strange is that?

frank d.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:08 PM

Staying with this ErnieBall/MusicMan conversation, sign me up for this Emerald City beauty! This Alvin Lee signature model runs three grand for an All American slab of timber time goodness! It’s like The Jetsons meeting Dorothy on the yellow brick road. This is certainly the axe the Wizard of Oz would be playing. Count me in.

frank d.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaze3 View Post
That Music Man is excellent!! I never hear much about the brand, but the list of pro players is huge.
anecdotal evidence: everyone i chat with online that has played a Music Man raves about it. for my preferences, they're some of the best necks in the business that aren't from a custom luthier. while the finishes and features are great, it's really all about the necks for me. the frets are hand leveled and finished, which is nice considering that many high-end companies are moving towards PLEK, while others do not pay enough attention to the "feel" aspect of their guitars.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Staying with this ErnieBall/MusicMan conversation, sign me up for this Emerald City beauty! This Alvin Lee signature model runs three grand for an All American slab of timber time goodness! It’s like The Jetsons meeting Dorothy on the yellow brick road. This is certainly the axe the Wizard of Oz would be playing. Count me in.

frank d.
I would own that!
Old 11-23-2022, 11:46 AM

I like Ibanez shredders myself, 'specially the one I call "Sharky Boy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WBy55xiLXA
Old 11-23-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer View Post
I like Ibanez shredders myself, 'specially the one I call "Sharky Boy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WBy55xiLXA
A ton of talent on that video! Wow.

fd
Old 11-24-2022, 07:10 AM

Wow thread necromancy! So far my favorite shredder guitar has to be my Sterling Majesty. This thing has such a fantastic neck, and nothing has this kind of high fret access.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Wow thread necromancy! So far my favorite shredder guitar has to be my Sterling Majesty. This thing has such a fantastic neck, and nothing has this kind of high fret access.
A PURPLE SHREDDER!!! WITH GUITAR PICK FRET MARKERS!!!!!
Just perfect in my book.

Thanks 1neeto! And Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

frank d.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:51 PM

Now there's a ShredMaster Gold Cup Award Winner! A keeper, very unique. Happy Holidays to All!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars