The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-07-2022, 08:01 PM

Default taylor 214ce nylon

hi guys ,any love for this guitar?I am not really a classical player but I want to dabble. Is good for that kind of playing? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
hi guys ,any love for this guitar?I am not really a classical player but I want to dabble. Is good for that kind of playing? Thanks.
It's easy to play, that's for sure. The plugged in sound is pretty good but the acoustic sound is blah. You can get much better sound for much cheaper.
Old 11-08-2022, 01:21 PM

If you just want to dabble, try the Taylor Academy nylon string...I have one for the same purpose...well constructed, plays well, and--to me--sounds good, too...
Old 11-08-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanpyle View Post
It's easy to play, that's for sure. The plugged in sound is pretty good but the acoustic sound is blah. You can get much better sound for much cheaper.
I am not a classical player ,so I really am unsure of nylon string guitars . What would you suggest ? I am a fingerpicker but steel string only. Thank.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I am not a classical player ,so I really am unsure of nylon string guitars . What would you suggest ? I am a fingerpicker but steel string only. Thank.
I'll second the suggestion for the Taylor Academy. Taylor's other nylon strung guitars are a bit on the over-built side, effecting their tonality. The Academy is a bit more lightly built, and offers all of the features of a good crossover guitar, designed to appeal to the steel string player.

Whatever you choose, you will be better served by looking at a crossover, which will have a much narrower and radiused neck, adjustable truss rod and other features that are normally associated with steel strung acoustic guitars.

Those features will be paired with a guitar that is built to respond to the lower tension of nylon or synthetic strings.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:13 PM

One more question about this guitar . Does anyone know if it has an adjustable truss rod?
Old 12-02-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
One more question about this guitar . Does anyone know if it has an adjustable truss rod?
The Taylor 214ce-n (nylon) has an adjustable truss rod.

The Taylor Academy 12-n also has an adjustable truss rod.

Last edited by Rudy4; 12-02-2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Thank you sir!
Old 12-06-2022, 01:46 PM

One thing about the 214 ce N I like is that it has a full sound in the bass and sounds better than some more expensive Taylors to me, i.e., not too bright (but I like to really dig into the strings).

This video was made on a Taylor 214 ce N, all acoustic:
https://youtu.be/8R9I-q0qkTs

These videos were also made with the 214 ce n, but plugged in, and were mic'd to pick up sound from both the guitar and the amp:

https://youtu.be/CHqv_cNl6T0
https://youtu.be/sMLhTwSZMUo

Last edited by Mortimer Nelson; 12-08-2023 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:56 PM

I looked at the Taylor 214ce-n when I was looking for a new classical guitar about 10 years back. Things may have changed, but I was not impressed. I thought it sounded kind of 'flat' - did not have much resonance or subtlety of tone.

I went in a different direction... ended up buying a handmade double-top classical from a luthier, which has amazing sound.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:02 PM

A second hand 314 nylon would sound nicer at the same price. USA built, all solid wood. Proper back bracing. Probably a hard case with it.

I had a 12n academy thing for a while and thought it played and sounded like a toy. But I've played a 314 nylon and thought it played and sounded really nice and felt a much more pro instrument
Old 12-23-2022, 07:53 PM

I had a 214 CEn a while back. It was a totally underwhelming guitar IMHO.

Didn't keep it long

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 12-23-2022, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

I like the Cordoba Fusion 12, Orchestra CE Nylon String guitar better, and it’s cheaper. YMMV
Old 12-24-2022, 09:21 AM

I have been looking into Kremona guitars now. I found a shop in Philly I may visit after the holidays.
Old 12-24-2022, 10:23 AM

For "dabbling" I'd keep my eyes open for a second-hand classical on Craigslist of Facebook Marketplace. I have a Cordoba Orchestra Fusion, but to be quite honest, I've spent the majority of my nylon time on a Karl Hauser that my daughter rescued from a dumpster at the university dorms.

I had nothing to lose, so I narrowed the neck and replaced the fret board and bridge. It astounds me how much better this guitar sounds than my Cordoba.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical