The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-03-2022, 04:24 PM

Default NUX Amp Academy Review - short story: Excellent!

It arrived a few days ago. I want to highlight what I like about it without repeating the contents of its manual. Bottom line, for my usage replacing a Fender black panel Deluxe, a spring reverb, and a Tube Screamer, it is excellent.

I am using the Vibro King amp model for most of my tweaking, but I also set up the Twin Reverb (super clean), Super Reverb, and Marshall JCM800 (crunch even with the guitar volume relatively low). The Twin model would not distort without a boost included in the “scene” even with my guitar and the model volumes at 10. That was the one anomaly from my expectations. I like the Vibro King model, amplified by my QSC CP8 (on the floor, on its side, backside EQ set to floor monitor), and do not prefer my Mustang Micro doing its Deluxe Reverb (which was able to match my now sold Tone Master Deluxe).

The first thing I did was download the 2022-10-31 Firmware update and install it. Instructions to put the pedal in “DFU” mode to accept the update were missing. A YouTube video found via Google explained to hold both footswitches while powering up.

Next, I installed the main NUX App for my Mac. I disabled the third “scene” such that the “scene footswitch” becomes a “scene” toggle (after setup: one cleaner, one with the Tube Screamer engaged, both with spring reverb). I then went through the amp models I planned to use (two “scenes” each, which must be done individually) and set all the controls to 12 o’clock. Then I tweaked the amp, spring reverb, and Tube Screamer to taste. I now have three ways to boost for an overdriven solo starting with the Vibro King as my clean base: turn up the guitar, foot switch to the Tube Screamer “scene”, or foot switch to the JCM800 amp model. [EDIT: I am now using the Super Reverb as my clean base]

I explain all this detail because it took about an hour and without this work the pedal is disappointing. The software was almost easy enough to use without the nonexistent manuals (to do it again it would take much less time). Once done, everything can be adjusted via the knobs and optionally saved with the left footswitch. No menus to navigate at a gig.

You can see in the pictures that it is quite small (Tube Screamer for reference), weighs exactly 1 lb. (less than that Tube Screamer), and draws only 3 watts. Leaving it run over night only gets it to room temperature. My old HX Stomp would have been hot to the touch and required a 20-watt power supply.

Is it a Universal Audio quality Twin Reverb, Super Reverb, JCM800, or Vibro King modeler? Impossible for me to know. But for what I want, a classic black panel 60s Fender amp tone, spring reverb, and foot switchable Tube Screamer, it is a complete solution in a small package. No aspect of IO is missing (XLR, USB-C, ¼”, 3.5mm, MIDI over USB). It also has an effects loop, graphic EQ, all the usual reverb types, 1024 IR loader, a selection of boost/overdrive/compression pedal models, and a noise gate, most of which I’ve not tried. If one of the amp models is acceptably flat response you could use its 1024 IR loader, reverb collection, and compressor collection for your acoustic guitar too. Wow!

What’s missing? For my usage a master volume not associated or saved with an amp model “scene” would be nice. It does make a click when switching amp models or “scenes”. Sometimes when switching amp models there is a noticeable delay.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 01-09-2023 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2022, 04:31 PM

Very nice review. Since I have exactly the same use case (and and pedals) when playing electric, I’ll give this a look. It could simplify things for my setup.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:14 AM

Hi Dave,

Your "Less clicking, more picking" tag line is so apropos. The nice thing about gigging and practicing with the Mustang Micro is how little there is to adjust.

So far I've yet to just play at home with the NUX without pulling it over to my Mac and opening up the app for deeper tweaking.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-16-2022 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:17 AM

Ha! You know I’m an odd duck when it comes to music technology. I love technology and I love making music. However, I am not fond of using music technology. As a mostly folk/Americana singer I just find the digital equipment to be distracting and antithetical to the simple “vibe” I’m trying to share with people. I never have the patience to use the technology to its fullest. The most complex tech I’m using now is the Voice Print DI because I could use my iPhone wirelessly and it was Uber simple.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Fascinating information, Jon! Thank you for this!

- Glenn
Old 11-05-2022, 02:45 PM

I think I've just verified that when you tweak the NuX knobs, but don't do a save, and then switch to/from another scene or amp model, that the knob tweak is retained until you power cycle the NUX. [EDIT: seems to be not the case. You need to save.] You can power cycle it (pull the backside power jack) with the output connected to a hot input with no power on/off noise.

Now I'm wondering if that Universal Audio Dream I bought and returned (it was a discounted customer return) had crummy settings stored by the first buyer and I never twisted all the knobs to get them at least temporarily overwritten to something decent.

My whole issue might have been compounded user error...

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-16-2022 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:06 AM

I had my first rehearsal yesterday using the NUX. My partner thought it sounded better than my previous solution, a TS9 reissue Tube Screamer into a Mustang Micro. I'm not sure about better, but certainly as good.

I found tweaking the NUX Tube Screamer model takes some deviation from my TS9 reissue. Generally more drive and treble to get to the same place. You can't outright duplicate the TS9 settings, which I could with several low cost TS9 clones I've tried.

The Vibro King amp model tone settings are now similar to what I used on my Tone Master Deluxe Reverb (bass at 5, treble at 7). I run the Mustang Micro's tone flat.

I think the NUX Super Reverb and Twin Reverb models have less preamp gain than what I expect, but the Vibro King works pretty much like the Deluxe model in the Tone Master (with added presence and middle controls) or the Mustang Micro's Deluxe (which seemed to have the bass and volume hardwired to 5, and the treble set flat similar to the Tone Master treble on 7).

I've got two gigs next week and the NUX is going to both. I'll report back.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-16-2022 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Interesting stuff, Jon!

The NUX Amp Academy seems like a very interesting device. I have spent quite a bit of time listening to demos and reviews of this device. For $200 it seems pretty amazing if it saves the hassle of dragging an amp around.

I'll be interested to hear more as you get more experience.

- Glenn
Old 11-18-2022, 11:50 AM

I looked at this but it lacked (I think) an important feature for me - a bypass switch. I know you can bypass the IR, but in my case I end up having a couple of tunes on an acoustic gig where I'd like an electric tone. One solution I've been using is a dirt pedal and TC impulse cab sim (into a DeCapo or EV 30M). As far as I can figure, I'd have to run the Nux in an effects loop setup to be able to bypass the eq/etc.

Instead I ordered up a Flamma preamp pedal. Less features on the one hand, but you can click it in and out like a typical stomp box. Will see how that plays out when it shows up.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 11-19-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
I looked at this but it lacked (I think) an important feature for me - a bypass switch.
Not the cleanest option... But if you are changing guitars, you could power cycle the Amp Academy. It powers up in bypass mode. In my testing, you can power cycle it without generating a transient heard through an amp or PA left unmuted.

https://smile.amazon.com/Qaoquda-Fem...ps%2C74&sr=8-3

EDIT 11/26 [Hit both switches at the same time to toggle to bypass. The manual says nothing of this. I found out by hitting both by mistake.]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-27-2022 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:46 PM

I was curious, here's a link to that Flamma Digital Preamp pedal:

https://www.flamma.shop/products/fs0...-preamp-models

Even a bit cheaper on Amazon right at the moment. Mostly good reviews on Amazon.

If it had a spring reverb it would be a contender for my single pedal solution.

Jon Fields
Old 11-19-2022, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Jon- have you looked at the Boss Pocket GT at all?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ects-processor

It has 20+ preamp models, real knobs, built in rechargeable battery, a nice smart phone/tablet/computer app, lots of different effects that can be chained together, and selling for $99 in several different stores
Old 11-20-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone View Post
Jon- have you looked at the Boss Pocket GT at all?
I've not tried one. For me, similar to my TS9=>Mustang Micro requiring 3.5mm cables and not quite as gig worthy as the Amp Academy.

But to be sure, I did not need the Amp Academy and it only beats the TS9/MM combo for mechanical robustness and one less device (TS and foot switch built in).

Jon Fields
Old 11-22-2022, 03:44 PM

Not sure this video is of general interest, but this guy does a tear down of the Amp Academy and the Universal Audio Dream 65. To my EE eye, NUX is looking to be a price leader without cutting corners on the physical construction. All the high wear parts are name brand, and metal shaft nutted down to the chassis. The Amp Academy might be a small step up from the Dream 65 for half the price.

NUX Amp Academy65 Tear Down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBELjW6Jbv8

Universal Audio Dream 65 Tear Down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty2DkywjIw0

Jon Fields
Old 11-26-2022, 06:08 PM

Two gigs down with the Amp Academy. I like the spring reverb and the amp model (Vibro King) quite a bit. I am still figuring out the Tube Screamer model. It worked fine, better with the bridge pickup than the neck, but I'm going to spend some more time tweaking it. I might try using the boost model instead as the Vibro King model really sounds great to my ear.

Regarding Nostatic's remark about no bypass switch; I bypassed it by mistake twice. Hitting both switches at the same time puts it into bypass. The left foot switch will bring it out of bypass.

With the foot switches fairly close together, not hitting both by accident requires some discipline...

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-27-2022 at 02:57 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars