The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-01-2022, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Default JZ Microphones V12 review

The first thing I should mention is that I have no idea how this microphone sounds. The mic was initially delivered to me in late December. When I opened the box and took the mic out, the first thing I noticed was the pin on top that is used to secure the capsule during transit, was snapped at the point where it threads into the top of the capsule. The pin was in the hole but it was just hanging there doing nothing.

The next thing I noticed was a dent in the grill. It wasn’t a big dent and was really only noticeable if you felt for it or if the light hit it the right way, but it was there nonetheless. A pin can snap in transit but the dent in the grill had to happen before this mic was shipped to me and that tells me QC at JZ has some holes in it.

Obviously the mic would have to go back for a replacement but I was curious as to how it sounds. I set up both the V12 and my Lauten Atlantis so I could compare the V12 to something. The V12 worked, then it didn’t work, then it worked again… something was wrong. I thought perhaps a cable but swapping cables with the Atlantis (which worked fine) didn’t fix the issue. Next, I thought perhaps a channel on my pre went bad, so I swapped channels, the V12 had the same problem. The problem was clearly with the V12.

I wrote to JZ Microphones. I described all the problems this microphone had…
1. The snapped capsule retaining pin.
2. The dent in the grill.
3. The sound cutting in and out.

They responded quickly with a FedEx return ticket and asked that I be patient because the Christmas sale had them backed up. I wrote back and said I understand.

Yesterday, I got a package from JZ. I expected to get a new microphone to replace the damaged mic. That was not the case. The first thing I did when I opened the box was to run my finger over the grill. The dent was still there. This was the same mic I returned. Removing the mic from the box, I could see there was no retaining pin for the capsule. So this capsule was not secured during transit. JZ sent this mic back to me with two of the three problems I told them about completely unaddressed. I also told them that I was not happy that they had not communicated with me before sending the damaged microphone back to me.

At this point, I don’t even care how it sounds. I wrote back to JZ and told them I was massively disappointed that I received the same damaged microphone back from them with at least two of the problems unaddressed. I asked for a refund.

I received this reply:
My apologies that this repair has not happened to your expectations, this is unacceptable.
I am now acknowledging that I have received your unfortunate feedback, have contacted our warehouse CEO to see what the next step would be.
Will get back to you as soon as possible, to resolve this at your benefit.
Thank you for your patience and my apologies once again.

I was curious what they meant by “resolve this at your benefit.” If they were to make me an offer of a replacement with something of some added value thrown in, I would consider that. They wrote back some time later with a tracking number and said they had sent me a replacement and would send a FedEx label to return the damaged mic. Had that been their initial response, I’d have found that to be acceptable. Customer service is important to me and, with their initial response, JZ revealed to me that their views on customer service were very different from my own. At that point, a simple replacement was not an acceptable resolution to me. I told them they should reroute the replacement back to themselves and issue a refund. That process is now in the works.

Conclusion... buy elsewhere.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 03-01-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

So sorry to hear of this Jim1960. Quite disappointing to hear that this has been so much trouble.
JZ certainly has been an intriguing company. There have been so many personal sponsored youtube video bands promoting their products. They certainly caught my attention years ago.
Old 03-01-2022, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
So sorry to hear of this Jim1960. Quite disappointing to hear that this has been so much trouble.
JZ certainly has been an intriguing company. There have been so many personal sponsored youtube video bands promoting their products. They certainly caught my attention years ago.
I was excited to finally be trying out one of their microphones. If I liked this one, I was going to add one of their V67 mics to my collection as well. But I can't abide poor customer service. The first mistake was forgivable and I'd have accepted an exchange but they sent the same damaged mic to me twice and the second time was after I'd pointed out the damage to them. That's worse than bad customer service; that's just not caring.

YouTube
Old 11-11-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I was excited to finally be trying out one of their microphones. If I liked this one, I was going to add one of their V67 mics to my collection as well. But I can't abide poor customer service. The first mistake was forgivable and I'd have accepted an exchange but they sent the same damaged mic to me twice and the second time was after I'd pointed out the damage to them. That's worse than bad customer service; that's just not caring.
I can certainly understand your frustration, but I think this was a warehousing mistake of one hand not taking to another. Sounds like they need to improve the warehousing/logisitcs side of things. Yes it was misfortunate, but I wouldn't have written them off if they were planning to send you a another good mic (at their expense). But we all have different levels of patience regarding these things.

It's a shame that you didn't get to hear their mics because frankly, they sound great, especially the V67. JZ is the company that basically was the partner/offshoot company to Violet mics, both started by mic designer Juris Zarins who passed away not long ago. When he passed, the company was left with growing pains as they reshuffled to get back into gear.

But, like Violet, the JZs are some of the best mics I've ever heard/used (I own a Flamingo Standard (EF86 tube mic), 2 Amethyst Vintage (same capsule as the V67), and the Globe Vintage (47 style capsule). And 2 close friends are using the V67 and V47 and they LOVE them.
Old 11-11-2022, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I can certainly understand your frustration, but I think this was a warehousing mistake of one hand not taking to another. Sounds like they need to improve the warehousing/logisitcs side of things. Yes it was misfortunate, but I wouldn't have written them off if they were planning to send you a another good mic (at their expense). But we all have different levels of patience regarding these things.
There was a bit more to the end of the story that I didn't bother to update but will do so now...

When I received notice from JZ that they were going to refund my money, the amount was less than I had paid them, so I wrote back and told them what the amount should be. Their reply was that they were charging me for shipping costs.

Let me say that again... THEY SENT ME A DAMAGED MICROPHONE WHICH I RETURNED AND THEY SENT BACK AGAIN STILL DAMAGED. THEN THEY WANTED ME TO PAY FOR THE SHIPPING.

I'm not a vindictive person but that mentality and incompetent customer service is just not something I'd ever want to deal with twice. On the bright side, because I returned the JZ, I was still on the hunt for a good 67-ish mic and I found it with the Beesneez BU67, which I absolutely love.

YouTube
Old 11-12-2022, 08:56 PM

I have heard several times from people familiar with the JZ owner & story, that it's best to steer clear.

Of course, YMMV, spend your money where & how you want, don't kill the messenger, and all that.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 11-13-2022, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
There was a bit more to the end of the story that I didn't bother to update but will do so now...

When I received notice from JZ that they were going to refund my money, the amount was less than I had paid them, so I wrote back and told them what the amount should be. Their reply was that they were charging me for shipping costs.

Let me say that again... THEY SENT ME A DAMAGED MICROPHONE WHICH I RETURNED AND THEY SENT BACK AGAIN STILL DAMAGED. THEN THEY WANTED ME TO PAY FOR THE SHIPPING.

I'm not a vindictive person but that mentality and incompetent customer service is just not something I'd ever want to deal with twice. On the bright side, because I returned the JZ, I was still on the hunt for a good 67-ish mic and I found it with the Beesneez BU67, which I absolutely love.
Yeah that's not right! I would have done the same!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD