The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-04-2022, 12:58 PM

Default Any Mi-Si Magpie or Acoustic Duo Users?

At one time I had a GHS gooseneck mic and a Mi-Si Acoustic Duo soundhole mag pickup installed (on separate jacks) in one of my guitars. The combination sounded very nice for fingerstyle playing. Beyond that, the very thin and smooth topped Acoustic Duo didn’t beat up my fingernails like a soundhole mag with pole pieces.

My only complaint with the Acoustic Duo was that it only gave me 2 hours of playing time, as opposed to the 8 hours claimed. This wasn’t much of a problem, as it only takes a minute to recharge.

I’ve been wondering lately, however, if a failing capacitor is a typical problem with the Acoustic Duo and Magpie pickups. That would be one possible explanation as to why I can’t seem to find new or used Mi-Si mag pickups available from US sellers anymore.

Then again, the lack of availability could be due to something else entirely. I welcome the observations and opinions of current or former users of these Mi-Si mag pickups.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Hi guitaniac. I'm a former user of the Magpie soundhole mag. I bought it used, I gigged it once and sold it. It was fully charged, and It seemed to lose power during the gig, like dropping in volume power. Like I said, I bought it used, and I think you could be onto something with the pickup getting weaker after many charge cycles.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 12-04-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hi guitaniac. I'm a former user of the Magpie soundhole mag. I bought it used, I gigged it once and sold it. It was fully charged, and It seemed to lose power during the gig, like dropping in volume power. Like I said, I bought it used, and I think you could be onto something with the pickup getting weaker after many charge cycles.
Thanks for the observation, Joe. It makes me a little more Leary of the Mi-Si mags, even though the Acoustic Duo was wonderfully quiet for a single coil mag. I'd be more confident of them lasting if they employed replaceable 3v batteries like the Rare Earth pickups.
Old 12-05-2022, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks for the observation, Joe. It makes me a little more Leary of the Mi-Si mags, even though the Acoustic Duo was wonderfully quiet for a single coil mag. I'd be more confident of them lasting if they employed replaceable 3v batteries like the Rare Earth pickups.
Agree, I'd rather replace a battery and be sure...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification