The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-17-2012, 03:24 PM

Default Korg G2 Acoustic Processor??

Picked up one of these 'old' processors a while back off craigslist for $40.00
Mint shape with all the original packaging, manual, etc.

Plugged my tele in (as I had no pickup for my acoustics) to test it out. I only had time to run through the pre-sets, but was pleasently surprised how good it sounded (with a few tweaks) through headphones and with an electric guitar.

I have a Neo D (from a member here) on the way, so looking forward to seeing what kind of tones I can generate. Also want to get a pickup for my little Motif and see how it sounds with nylon strings.

Anybody have or had one of these? I believe they came out around 1995 or so. From the little info I could find, I guess Phil Keaggy used one to great 'effect' back in the day .....

I like the fact you can pick up 'old' gear like this fairly cheap. No idea how it's going to sound live, but if the neo arrives today, I'm using it tomorrow for worship. Think I'll run one out to a little Fender amp use and the other out into the PA. Hoping to get a nice, huge (kinda) stereo spread.

Anyway, just kinda thinking out loud and wondering if anyone here has experience with one and can share thoughts and info.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:13 PM

I used a G2 for years, and have two of them at the moment, though I haven't gigged with one for a few years. I needed a second one because the pedals wore out (making program changes difficult) on the original.

I especially liked the chorus/plate reverb combo for filling out slow picking songs. It helped, I think, with the kind of tightly focused pickup sound that one gets from a UST or mag. I don't think its helpful with the more ambient sound of SBTs or mic based systems like the Baggs Anthem.

Its interesting to note that I recently got a nice guitar sound compliment on a recording which I made with the G2 a decade ago.

As for using it with a passive mag pickup (on either an electric or acoustic), its 1Mohm input impedance makes it well-suited to that purpose. It doesn't have enough input impedance to properly accomodate some passive piezo under-saddle or in-saddle pickups, however.

Gary
Old 03-18-2012, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the info guitaniac. I appreciate it. I did not get to try it today as planned....forgot a few things at home and had to make a mad dash to get them, so no time to get the acoustic out and run through a setting or two that would work. Wound up using the tele as it was ready to go, so I'll have to wait till next week to try it live.

What you said about input impedence is good to know....and I'll look forward to doing some recording with it too. Just need to find some time to sit down with it and do some tweaking!

Thanks again for taking time to share.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 AM

Had the opportunity yesterday to run acoustic for worship. As one who normally plays electric live, this was only the third or forth time I;ve actually played acoustic live...plugged in!

Used the the Neo D in my beater acoustic and ran one out from the G2 into the PA and the other into a little Fender automatic SE amp. At set up, I tweaked two patches and pretty much stayed with them.

Was it perfect? No, but it was a great place to start. The sound was good.....rich, lush and full. A nice compliment to the other players tele. Received several nice compliments on how good it sounded out front.

As much as I love playing electric (95% tele, 5% strat) for worship, I'm pretty smitten with what I heard and experienced yesterday Looking forward to going forth from here with more tweaking and expermentation. Going to install a nice pickup (kind of a clone of the K&K Trinuty) in the beater ($40 Fullerton acoustic) soon and also put one in the Motif so I can play some nylon string!
Old 12-01-2022, 07:25 AM

Default Update please.

how are things with your project and this pedal now in 2022. Do you still use it, how is it holding up. what did you achieve in playing Acoustic in church.

I have an old Korg AX10A acoustic Multi-effects pedal. Its lasted really well since I got it New in early 2000s. made some great patches etc great over the years for worship. Recently it has developed a bit of small hissing, i think maybe the capacitors and other components may have started wearing out.
might see if it looks easy for me to fix or might have to find a local tech that could repair it, cheaply.

if not I have seen one of these Korg G2 Acoustic pedals that is reconditioned, though not to cheap. I do like some chorus, reverb, ambiance etc and other effects, tastefully added, not over saturating things, on my acoustic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification