The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-29-2022, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Fishman Platinum Stage as a EQ pedal with Red Eye?

Hey gang, here’s another amplification question as I prepare to get back into the wonderful world of playing out with the venues being mainly open mics right now. Is it possible to use a Fishman Platinum Stage as an EQ pedal with my Red Eye preamp to good effect? If so, could the other features on the Platinum Stage be used as well? I’d be depending on the various house sound systems beyond this. If it matters I’d be applying this chain using different guitars/pickups at different open mics. My two main guitars would be one with a K&K pure mini and one with a Cool Tube CTP-2. The others would have either a K&K Double Helix sound hole pickup, a Krivo Micro-Manouche Humbucking pickup or an LR Baggs Duet II. I really like the Red Eye, but sure would dig having some extra EQ with it when needed.
Thanks for any advice and suggestions on this!
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)

Last edited by Brushwood; 11-30-2022 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:58 PM

Hey Brushwood.

I responded to your other thread about this saying I use the Red Eye with the Fishman Aura Spectrum so sorry if you're reading this again. Both units sound good by themselves but somehow they sound better together. I'm not using the imaging of the Aura, just the basic eq and it's great to have a mute button and a tool to deal with feedback. I'm using this set up with a K&K equipped guitar.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:02 PM

And then I discovered Jonathan Byrd did the same thing and felt less silly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgnGPjYzBFo
Old 11-30-2022, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwards View Post
Hey Brushwood.

I responded to your other thread about this saying I use the Red Eye with the Fishman Aura Spectrum so sorry if you're reading this again. Both units sound good by themselves but somehow they sound better together. I'm not using the imaging of the Aura, just the basic eq and it's great to have a mute button and a tool to deal with feedback. I'm using this set up with a K&K equipped guitar.
Ahhh, very cool. Very informative video too! Interesting he puts the Red Eye last in the chain and not first. I’m new to pedals and trying to absorb as much as I can to help make things sound as good as possible to me in a simple way. Thank you redwards!
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)

Last edited by Brushwood; 12-01-2022 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:01 AM

Yeah, I thought that too. I think he's simply using the red eye as a boost. I use the red eye because it was said to deal well with the K&K impedance. Then I put the Fishman in the effects loop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification