The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-16-2020, 11:08 AM

Default Removing k&k trinity?

Just picked up an awesome larrivee 12 string, but I don’t love the k&k trinity pro that came with it, so thinking of swapping it out for a baggs anthem, which I love in my Martin. Has anyone removed a trinity before? My tech said if I do so, the k&k may not be salvageable due to the pickup being glued on. Any way to get it out in one piece for resale?
Old 11-16-2020, 01:28 PM

Some on this forum have reported success removing the K&K minis, but I haven't. The best I've done is salvage 2 of 3 disks. My hard-earned advice would be to ask the LR Baggs forum about installing the mic in a position that does not require removing the K&K. If you're like me (and probably most players) there may come a day when you want to sell the Larrivee. In which case you could remove the Anthem for install in your next instrument. The K&K might be just the ticket to attract the next buyer of the Larrivee. Just a thought.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Just picked up an awesome larrivee 12 string, but I don’t love the k&k trinity pro that came with it, so thinking of swapping it out for a baggs anthem, which I love in my Martin. Has anyone removed a trinity before? My tech said if I do so, the k&k may not be salvageable due to the pickup being glued on. Any way to get it out in one piece for resale?
Hi Jimi2

Is the Trinity Pro a pickup, mic and Internal preamp plus battery?

Or is it just the K&K Pure mini 'discs' and the microphone and it requires an external preamp?

When it comes to removing the Pure Mini (the three sensors) you might ask Doug Young (the forum member who probably knows the most about installing, removing and describing different pickups).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-17-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Jimi2

Is the Trinity Pro a pickup, mic and Internal preamp plus battery?

Or is it just the K&K Pure mini 'discs' and the microphone and it requires an external preamp?

When it comes to removing the Pure Mini (the three sensors) you might ask Doug Young (the forum member who probably knows the most about installing, removing and describing different pickups).

It has a gooseneck mic, pickup(s), and the external preamp. Beyond that I’m not sure.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:19 AM
Charter Member

I would never buy a used K&K Mini.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-17-2020, 02:50 AM

Quote:
I currently have 5 guitars with various style Trinities, planning more! At last I have fond somethng for an OM I love. The K&K Trinity has way more positives, my opinion, than the Anthem. For one, the battery can be changed in the outboard preamp instead of loosening strings for an interior battery, and you have fairly light stuff inside the guitar....

So I would leave it in and spend the money on a few other items like an extra preamp, DI/EQ. Then do some work on the Trinity preamp.....read up online as much as you can, first, pull the gains right down to nothing and put the volume knobs both on full. Start with pickup, raise gain a very very small amount. Get the EQs on flat.. Once it sounds good, add a whisker to the mic gain, just a little. Once confident, fiddle with the position of the mic in the soundhole. For fingerstyle, I like it close to the strings pointing to the 3 string. Harder play, move it away from the strings a bit....

Once you have a nice balance of pickup vs mic and EQ, never touch it again! Takes some patience. Use outboard EQ to carve a few mids or bass, add a bit of reverb and Voila!

BluesKing777.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

I removed my Trinity system in a custom build. I spec-ed it in the build and hated it (loved the guitar) on delivery.

I used razor blades. Just wanted the K&K out. Two out of three were undamaged.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It has a gooseneck mic, pickup(s), and the external preamp. Beyond that I’m not sure.
Hi Jimi2

That's what I'd refer to as a passive K&K Dual Source with the K&K Pure Mini (some really old systems used the stock K&K Western with larger sensors).

I actually have your system in 4 guitars. I use them with either my Raven or DTAR Solstice for preamps, because of the natural sound.

Last Christmas my wife bought me a ToneDexter (with some guidance from her husband) and I'm using that now as my 'live' sound. I'm driving it with just the K&K Pure Mini. I left the mics installed because if the ToneDexter fails, I still have a built-in backup which sounds very good.

I echo the person who said they'd never buy a used K&K Pure Mini. Too much chance of damage to a sensor when removing them.

Have you tried your new guitar using only the Pure Mini (without the mic)? All you have to do is use a mono cable out of the guitar (that takes the mic out of the output). I find 12 strings are often too bright and jangly, and a K&K Pure Mini without using a preamp often tames them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-17-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Hi Jimi2

That's what I'd refer to as a passive K&K Dual Source with the K&K Pure Mini (some really old systems used the stock K&K Western with larger sensors).

I actually have your system in 4 guitars. I use them with either my Raven or DTAR Solstice for preamps, because of the natural sound.

Last Christmas my wife bought me a ToneDexter (with some guidance from her husband) and I'm using that now as my 'live' sound. I'm driving it with just the K&K Pure Mini. I left the mics installed because if the ToneDexter fails, I still have a built-in backup which sounds very good.

I echo the person who said they'd never buy a used K&K Pure Mini. Too much chance of damage to a sensor when removing them.

Have you tried your new guitar using only the Pure Mini (without the mic)? All you have to do is use a mono cable out of the guitar (that takes the mic out of the output). I find 12 strings are often too bright and jangly, and a K&K Pure Mini without using a preamp often tames them.

Oh, didn’t know that was an option, I’ll give it a try. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
I currently have 5 guitars with various style Trinities, planning more! At last I have fond somethng for an OM I love. The K&K Trinity has way more positives, my opinion, than the Anthem. For one, the battery can be changed in the outboard preamp instead of loosening strings for an interior battery, and you have fairly light stuff inside the guitar....

So I would leave it in and spend the money on a few other items like an extra preamp, DI/EQ. Then do some work on the Trinity preamp.....read up online as much as you can, first, pull the gains right down to nothing and put the volume knobs both on full. Start with pickup, raise gain a very very small amount. Get the EQs on flat.. Once it sounds good, add a whisker to the mic gain, just a little. Once confident, fiddle with the position of the mic in the soundhole. For fingerstyle, I like it close to the strings pointing to the 3 string. Harder play, move it away from the strings a bit....

Once you have a nice balance of pickup vs mic and EQ, never touch it again! Takes some patience. Use outboard EQ to carve a few mids or bass, add a bit of reverb and Voila!

BluesKing777.
Thanks for the details. I didn’t think of the issue of having the battery in the sound hole - my Martin came with the anthem stock and has the battery in the endpin jack. I don’t really enjoy the process of loosening strings for access, so that’s a factor too. I’m assuming my luthier/tech could install something similar to my Martin, but it would probably be pricey surgery right?
Old 11-17-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the details. I didn’t think of the issue of having the battery in the sound hole - my Martin came with the anthem stock and has the battery in the endpin jack. I don’t really enjoy the process of loosening strings for access, so that’s a factor too. I’m assuming my luthier/tech could install something similar to my Martin, but it would probably be pricey surgery right?

I have been experimenting with options during the lockdown.

Here is a little rundown......so get the current sound sorted and it should be very pleasing. Don't point the mic at a speaker, of course. If you try it in a mixer with headphones to evaluate your options with the pickup AND mic on full, you will be shocked. It sounds great, superb. But alas, a guitar amp is the enemy as well - I think Trinity sounds better in a decent mixer/PA.

As Larry mentioned if you run a normal mono guitar lead out - you get just the K&K pickup, no mic. Handy if you get the Banshee scream. But do a search on Larry's previous posts.

I have taken this a step further and run it to my Tonedexter with a wavefile I made - pickup only - no mic as it just does not like the mic! Tonedexter gives the sound of your guitar with a mic, but with a number of options - it is a DI pre also - plenty online about this if you are interested.

You can also run your stereo K&K lead out to the K&K preamp and another lead out from there to a mixer/preamp. You can turn the mic off on the K&K pre! I have also run this to Tonedexter file with the mic turned off.

Another option I really like is running everything ON - mic +pickup + K&K preamp - to Tonedexter switched to BYPASS. I get the use of the EQ and other knobs/DI.

Good luck and forget getting a battery compartment!

BluesKing777.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:27 AM

I am not sure if I would even worry about saving the pickup. I know if I was a potential buyer, I would go new as you never know if a used system is still working. Most techs can rip them out fairly easily.

I actually purchased a used Dazzo once that appeared to be in great condition. Once I got it, I realized one of the sensors was damaged and the seller turned out to be very crooked. Teddy took care of me but I don't think I will ever buy a pickup, especially one that's glued in, used.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:45 PM

Default Brilliant idea

Quote:
Hi Jimi2

Thanks for that idea. I have a K&K Trinity which I dislike due to the stereo cable and preamp requirement plus I can barely turn on the mic before I get feedback. I thought I would have to pull it out in order to replace with the K&K Pure Mini. You just saved me $109 plus a bunch of work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification