The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-08-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
No condescension intended.

I'm fully aware of all those points that you raise. I'm simply saying that there's nothing wrong with appreciating the original work that was approved and released by the artists involved.

I have no idea whether George or John would have approved or not, and there's nobody who can say that definitively. We'll never know, a full 50% of the band can't offer any input.

If you've read or heard the same interviews that I have, Giles Martin expressed that he wrestled with the idea that doing a deep dive into this possibly sacrosanct material might not be the best of ideas.

I do appreciate that he put a lot of thought into the process and worked to a "do no harm" perspective for the completed re-mix / mastering.
As I said the original mixes will always be around for those that appreciate them for what they are.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Thanks for the tip, can't wait to hear this CD on the big boy stereo.
Let us know your thoughts, I think it's a great listen. The remix is a great shiny new listen. I still have my original mono & stereo versions, if I want to pull those out.
The outtakes show how the songs evolved and the Beatles trying out different ideas. Great stuff.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 11-16-2022, 03:03 AM

[QUOTE=Rudy4;7122809]The artists, as well as all of those who maintain control of the material have a "right" to do whatever they want with the material. Peter Jackson's epic film that covers the entire creative process of a particular point in time does shed light on things like personal interactions and creative processes that are both enlightening and entertaining.

My own opinion on doing all the hocus pocus to extract the original audio parts and then re-mix and re-master them to "improve" upon them seems disingenuous to me. The charm and originality of the original work is best accepted as it was, including the minor "flaws" that made it what it was in totality.

You could certainly do the same with the Grateful Dead catalog. After all, someone could go back and correct all of those wrong guitar notes, bad timing, and off-pitch vocals. I'm pretty sure Jerry would spin in his grave, though.

The Beatles were 4 really talented guys who did the best they could at that moment in their lives. Surely there must be some honor in that. I rather like the idea that it takes careful listening to read between the lines of the production. No real need to "clarify" the tracks and then spoon feed it to the musically illiterate.[/QUOT

"Europe '72" has overdubbed vocals...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN