The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-26-2022, 07:21 AM

Default Martin Guitars Neck Adjustments

Every time it gets cooler outside, I have to always take my Martins to my setup guy to get the necks adjusted because with a capo on, the A string has fret buzz when strumming (regardless if I'm forming a chord or not). This happens every single year, and I'm kind of getting tired of doing this every year since I have 9 Martins. It doesn't happen on any of my other guitars - Collings, Bourgeois, Gibsons, etc...

So what is causing this? And why does it only happen on my Martins? And lastly, if I try to adjust the neck myself, do I need to turn the wrench clockwise or counter-clockwise to make the A string stop buzzing?

As you can probably tell, I don't do my own setups. I would rather leave it to a professional, but maybe I can try to adjust the neck a little. In the summer, I keep my house dehumidified (44% to 49%) and when I turn on the heat, I use my humidifier and keep the house in that same range. I also keep humidipaks in the guitars when they are in the case.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

I don’t need to adjust the truss rod on my Martins unless I change string tension.
It sounds like your guitars have very low action which when the air is more dry the wood shrinks some and the action comes down. Because you notice this seasonally I think perhaps you might benefit from a humidifier and a temperature and humidity gauge.

Going from lighter strings to heavier strings increases neck tension. To counter that increase sometimes it takes an eighth to a quarter turn on the truss rod.
What you are describing to me sounds like you should loosen it a hair.

the truss rod is righty tighty, lefty loosey. Like a tug of war, if the strings are pulling harder than the truss rod you will have more neck curve towards the strings. if the neck is pulling harder than the strings the neck will flatten or pull away from the strings bringing them closer to the fretboard
Old 10-26-2022, 08:18 AM

So I need to turn it counter-clockwise which would be going to the left of the guitar, right? I just want to make sure I understand. Again, this is will be my first time doing it because I'm tired of taking all of my Martins to my setup guy when the weather get cooler...
Old 10-26-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargal12 View Post
So I need to turn it counter-clockwise which would be going to the left of the guitar, right? I just want to make sure I understand. Again, this is will be my first time doing it because I'm tired of taking all of my Martins to my setup guy when the weather get cooler...
Counterclockwise when facing the truss rod nut (looking from bridge towards the neck). 1/4 turn may be enough.

Another (better?) solution would be to have a saddle contoured with the A string seating up a bit higher since that string buzzes in all positions. I'm surprised your setup guy hasn't suggested this. I've heard of some players keeping two sets of saddles, one higher and one lower, for the different seasons and swapping them out at the appropriate time when changing strings.
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 10-26-2022, 09:56 AM

When warmer weather comes around, should I adjust it back to where it currently is now? Again, I'm sort of new to this, so thank you for helping.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
Counterclockwise when facing the truss rod nut (looking from bridge towards the neck). 1/4 turn may be enough.

Another (better?) solution would be to have a saddle contoured with the A string seating up a bit higher since that string buzzes in all positions. I'm surprised your setup guy hasn't suggested this. I've heard of some players keeping two sets of saddles, one higher and one lower, for the different seasons and swapping them out at the appropriate time when changing strings.
The two set’s of saddles is a pretty good idea too. but yes a 1/8 or 1/4 turn left.
I’m also curious which Martins you have… 9 is a lot of Martins
Old 10-26-2022, 10:19 AM

Martin custom HD-28 with Adi top
Martin custom D-41 with madagascar b/s (000 depth size - thin body)
Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe
Martin SS-D35-13
Martin Super D with GRW (recently bought)
Martin CEO-7
Martin custom 00 with Cocobolo b/s
Martin custom D-28 with Cocobolo b/s with Adi VTS top and authentic bracing
Martin D-41
Martin D-28 Marquis

On order - Martin custom HD-28 in Navy blue with Adi VTS top, EIR, and authentic bracing
On order - Martin custom HD-28 with Adi VTS top, Guatamalan b/s, and authentic bracing
On order - Martin custom D-18 with Adi VTS top, Sinker Mahogany, golden era bracing

I just counted, and I currently have 10, not 9 Martins.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:59 AM

Considering this is the Archtop subforum, you need one of these - a "Golden Era" vintage instrument from a renowned maker, for about the same price as a new Custom Shop Martin: https://www.archtop.com/ac_45emp_622.html :

Old 10-26-2022, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargal12 View Post
Martin custom HD-28 with Adi top
Martin custom D-41 with madagascar b/s (000 depth size - thin body)
Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe
Martin SS-D35-13
Martin Super D with GRW (recently bought)
Martin CEO-7
Martin custom 00 with Cocobolo b/s
Martin custom D-28 with Cocobolo b/s with Adi VTS top and authentic bracing
Martin D-41
Martin D-28 Marquis

On order - Martin custom HD-28 in Navy blue with Adi VTS top, EIR, and authentic bracing
On order - Martin custom HD-28 with Adi VTS top, Guatamalan b/s, and authentic bracing
On order - Martin custom D-18 with Adi VTS top, Sinker Mahogany, golden era bracing

I just counted, and I currently have 10, not 9 Martins.
Nice. 000 depth madagascar D-41 must be a really interesting piece!
thanks for sharing
Old 10-26-2022, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Considering this is the Archtop subforum, you need one of these - a "Golden Era" vintage instrument from a renowned maker, for about the same price as a new Custom Shop Martin: https://www.archtop.com/ac_45emp_622.html :

Now we're talkin'! Whoooweeee!

By the way, good truss rod info in this thread too.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-27-2022, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post

Steve this is what Epiphone should have reissued back in 2016 with there acoustic/electric archtop line. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjop1975 View Post
Steve, this is what Epiphone should have reissued back in 2016 with there acoustic/electric archtop line. Thanks for sharing.
FYI Epiphone produced a very limited run of Japanese-made '39 Emperor reissues (actually a late '37 - asymmetrical headstock and Frequensator) in the mid-90's that listed for around $3K - about one-third what the Gibson Custom Shop was charging for an all-acoustic non-cut Super 400 at the time; TMK only around 40 were made, and the only one I've seen for sale on the used market (most owners are keeping theirs - small wonder) went for just under $5K about ten years ago. As has been previously discussed here on the Archtop forum, there was a long-standing rumor that when Epiphone realized they had a bunch of real dogs on their hands with the Masterbilt archtops, they were going to replace them with a line of Chinese-made all-carved instruments, more historically accurate then the Masterbilts and priced to compete with Loar and Eastman; having taken a very different direction it seems that prospect is all but dead, and given their experience with the highly-respected Elite/Elitist line of high-quality/low-price MIJ instruments - Gibson cosmetics/tone/QC at half (or less) the price - and the current five-figure price for a Custom Shop archtop (if they'll even build you one), I suspect it's going to stay that way...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops