The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-16-2019, 05:10 PM

Default Johnny Clegg R.I.P.

Just saw the news on fb. We knew it would be coming, but it still hurts - cancer claims yet another of my heroes. This post from the admin just about sums it all up really:

Johnny Clegg 1953 – 2019
Johnny Clegg was one of the greatest human beings I have ever had the pleasure of knowing and working with. It has been the greatest thrill and honor of my career to work with him and produce his North American tours over the past 10 years.
I will never forget his passion for promoting Zulu culture and music, his vision and innovation for creating new music, his unwavering, courageous advocacy for stopping the injustices he became familiar with everyday during Apartheid and after. Johnny lived life through the lens of compassion and curiosity. He was an avid learner and especially a teacher. His stories will stay with anyone who had the privilege of seeing his concerts.
Johnny touched so many people’s lives over the years - I will always remember the fans who came to speak to Johnny after concerts… People would name their children after his songs and request that they could play a song of his at their weddings. They had stories of having grown up on his music through their parents playing it at home. His music knew no boundaries and I know his life was an example to us all of the power of music to transform society.
Rest in peace Johnny. You were a true Zulu warrior.

Myself, I was only able to see him live once (one of the most exhilarating concerts of my life), but his music has been with me for over 30 years and will stay at least as long. Not the best quality, but this is how I will always remember him, dancing with Dudu:

Anyone else out there a fan?
Old 07-16-2019, 08:36 PM

Guka 'mzimba
Sala 'nhliziyo
(Body grow old, but heart remains behind)
Johnny Clegg "Great Heart"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic