The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-28-2018, 09:36 PM

Cool EHX FREEZE / Acoustic Guitar / Tonne Estas

It's been gnawing at me brain , that droning FX he uses . I know he's using a T.C chorus/reverb , and an EHX Micro POG but that drone FX had
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gobQ_bqMwbI
me wondering and I think it's a EHX Freeze , makes sense , anyone else have a comment or observation on this sound he's pumping ?

¿ Seems the Youtube links are not posting here and other forums ?

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 08-28-2018, 10:02 PM

Could also be one of these bad boys..
https://www.pluspedal.com/

I'm not sure of any other pedal that does this effect.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 08-29-2018, 05:40 AM

yes, this is probably EHX Freeze. I use it same way.
Today has more pedals freeze function (or hold, infinite, drone...), reverbs, delays, multieffects etc, but imho freeze is easist way to get it.

btw David Gilmour used his method called sound on sound http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=287
Old 08-29-2018, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

I've got one of these. Very cool pedal although I no longer use it in my rig. PM me if you're interested in purchasing. I'm getting ready to throw a bunch of pedals on CL and the classifieds so you'll it there in a day or so.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:54 AM

It is an interesting effect. I've always wondered how I could achieve a drone-like sound and then solo over it.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:32 AM

Probably a EHX super ego in auto mode.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:10 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
Probably a EHX super ego in auto mode.
I'm not sure of any other pedal that does this effect
I've been reviewing the many vids of Tonne Estas and some show his pedals . The Pedals shown are the T.C.
pedal & the EHX Mini POG and a third which was the one I could not I.D. , it's shape lines up as a small rectangle
and small compared to the EHX Super Ego < it's a tempting pedal to be sure , just doesn't fit the image saw thanks .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood nacho View Post
Could also be one of these bad boys..
https://www.pluspedal.com/
I think this pedal is very interesting but it doesn't fit the profile I saw Tonne use . I saw the video of that piano
type pedal and the Freeze side by side. It's a strong consideration thanks for responding .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyenik View Post
yes, this is probably EHX Freeze. I use it same way.
Today has more pedals freeze function (or hold, infinite, drone...), reverbs, delays, multieffects etc, but imho freeze is easist way to get it.

btw David Gilmour used his method called sound on sound http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=287
Thanks for the input it is appreciated . What I see in how Tonne Estas uses it with the acoustic nylon classical
guitar is truly a cool trip . Now the added info on how it's applied to the electric guitar makes it all the more interesting .

EZ :

HR

Old 08-29-2018, 12:26 PM

Talking Droning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
It is an interesting effect. I've always wondered how I could achieve a drone-like sound and then solo over it.

In some of the vids I saw Estas [ Fine ] tuning the open [ E & A strings ] to get it to howl like a banshee , it sounded awesome .
It was the first time I saw a acoustic guitar do that . It only showed his hands on the guitar though and not what he was doing
with his feet as I heard it kick in and out .

On my Roland GR33 guitar synth I can achieve this and it's totally cool with the many synths sounds it has , strings , flutes
, keyboard , its really a great feature to have . Single notes for a bass line as well as cordial fullness sounds are a strength of this FX .

I really think I want that for my 000 acoustic nylon , steel dread & 000 resonator guitars and well I guess the electric to .

I use a T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3 X and as a solo performer this looks like an essential FX to have for soloing it alone .

EZ :

HR

Old 08-29-2018, 12:36 PM

This video shows that him using the EHX Freeze (see about 13:58):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgK_Zv3sbsA

In that first video you posted, the drone at the start does sound very much like the Freeze. I use it also for exactly the same purpose. Later in that video, it sounds like he's switched to a delay.

Louis
Old 08-29-2018, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

HR - got your PM but your mailbox is full so could not reply...
Old 08-29-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
This video shows that him using the EHX Freeze (see about 13:58):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgK_Zv3sbsA

In that first video you posted, the drone at the start does sound very much like the Freeze. I use it also for exactly the same purpose. Later in that video, it sounds like he's switched to a delay.

Louis
That green pedal is a Boss slicer. Strange effect for an acoustic guitar.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:46 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
HR - got your PM but your mailbox is full so could not reply...
Thanks for trying - I just emptied it . Please send again .

HR

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification