The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Just received my new Composite Acoustics Cargo!

I'm posting this from my Blackberry, so I hope it works!

Some of you may recall from my post late last week that my Baby Taylor was eaten (crushed) by the convertible top of the car I rented while currently vacationing in Sarasota, FL from Canada. I put out a call for help to quickly buy a CA Cargo, and AGF member fitness1, and Danny at Acoustic Pro Musician came through for me big time! Danny is as great a guy to work with as has been reported in other threads.

The FedEx guy delivered my charcoal Cargo late this afternoon to my hotel in Sarasota. I've been playing it for a couple of hours. I'm finally getting my playing fix again. I gotta say this little guit is totally awesome. It's everything positive others have been reporting. I was immediately taken aback by the clarity and volume that comes out of it (unplugged - can't plug in until back home). I really didn't expect it. It blows the doors off the Baby Taylor, mini Martins and many other small bodied guitars I played in the past, which sound boxy and tinny compared to the Cargo. The Cargo is a serious acoustic guitar that rivals quality full-bodied acoustics, IMO. The neck is wider than the BT, so it plays like a full-size neck in terms of the hi and lo E strings don't slide over the fretboard edge like can tend to happen on the BT if you're not careful. It's very well balanced sound and weight-wise, and the contour back is very comfortable. It is more expensive than the BT and Martins, but worth every penny, IMO. I can only imagine what a full-size CA sounds like, and based on this experience, I expect I'll be buying one at some point.

Regarding the textured finish of the body top, don't worry. It's not abrasive so as to be irritating on the hand/forearm (the neck back is smoother). Not a problem for my playing style, but if you're one to drag your fingers in the pickguard area ('tho the Cargo has none), you'll cause a scratchy noise.

I love what I consider the 'stealth' look of the charcoal (especially with the black tuners/buttons and without any fretboard markers). In fact, if I were to name it, that's what it'd be.

Regarding the gig bag, I don't know who makes it (TKL is the logo on the bag), but it isn't the greatest. It's too big for the Cargo and not as form-fitted as the BT gig bag. The good thing though (at least for me) is that the Cargo is only slightly larger than the Baby Taylor (I have them both side-by-side against a wall in front of me right now) and it actually fits in the BT gig bag, so that should give you a visual of it's actual size.

I LOVE this guitar!

Tom

Last edited by Acousticado; 04-02-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I just want to add, that I recently took up sailing and this is one of the reasons I wanted the Cargo, both for it's smaller size and not having to worry at all about environmental conditions. And no, I won't ever be using it as a boat oar!
Old 03-26-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
The good thing though (at least for me) is that the Cargo is only slightly larger than the Baby Taylor (I have them both side-by-side against a wall in front of me right now) and it actually fits in the BT gig bag, so that should give you a visual of it's actual size.
I assume it fits better in the Baby Taylor gig bag than in the one that came with it, right?

Thanks for that info . . . I may try to find a Baby Taylor gig bag somewhere.

And you are talking about the BABY Taylor, not the BIG BABY?

Isn't the tone on that Cargo great? Way better than a Baby Taylor or Little Martin.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
I assume it fits better in the Baby Taylor gig bag than in the one that came with it, right?

Thanks for that info . . . I may try to find a Baby Taylor gig bag somewhere.

And you are talking about the BABY Taylor, not the BIG BABY?

Isn't the tone on that Cargo great? Way better than a Baby Taylor or Little Martin.
Yes SongwriterFan, I was referring to the Cargo fitting MUCH better in the Baby Taylor (not the Big Baby) gig bag than in the one that came with it.

And yes, the Cargo's tone is great, way better Baby Taylor or Little Martin (and Martin Backpacker for that matter). My wife agrees.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:51 PM

I know you brought your camera on vacation, so.....????

WHERE ARE THE PICS?!

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 03-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
I know you brought your camera on vacation, so.....????

WHERE ARE THE PICS?!
I've taken pics including one of the Cargo and my smashed Baby Taylor side-by-side, but I can't post until I get home on the weekend, if someone will host them.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Musical minimalist

send em to me.....I'll put em up....

Old 03-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
send em to me.....I'll put em up....
Will do, fit. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
And no, I won't ever be using it as a boat oar!
that would be a good thing as according to the info on CA website that would void warranty

Although carbon fiber is an incredibly strong and resistant aerospace material, this product is intended to be used as a musical instrument only. This product is not intended for use as a battering ram, billy club, baseball bat, boat paddle, personal transport (such as a toboggan), body armor, pool float, projectile (human or mechanically powered), aircraft component or geostationary satellite (unless inside spacecraft). This warranty is VOID if the Composite Acoustics product has been used in any of these ways.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:20 PM

I *might* consider using it as an oar if it weren't for the electronics.

Of course, if I REALLY needed that oar badly enough, I could trash the electronics and not worry about it.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I just want to add, that I recently took up sailing and this is one of the reasons I wanted the Cargo, both for it's smaller size and not having to worry at all about environmental conditions. And no, I won't ever be using it as a boat oar!
But it's good to know you COULD use it as a boat oar if you ran out of oars and got lost in the waters... and once you got back safely you could immediately play a song on your guitar
Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 PM

Michael row the boat ashore, Hallelujah.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:03 AM

Have you got to play it against a bigger guitar?
Old 03-27-2008, 05:19 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDavid View Post
Have you got to play it against a bigger guitar?
I haven't yet because I'm away from home until this coming weekend. SongwriterFan probably has though. I already know it plays way bigger than other small bodied guitars I've played and I'm pretty confident it can rival many full-size guitars (maybe not dreads though).
Old 03-27-2008, 08:53 AM

Default Intonation

Hey Acousticado or SongWriterFan:
I've been distributing the audio files of the Cargo and it seems some of the people here are interested in the intonation of the guitar. The audio samples, as someone pointed out to me, are in the key of D.

Have you experienced any intonation issues on the short scale? What weight of strings are you using? And here's one I received in an email response:
"is there an intonation problem you can hear going from open 'E' or 'Em' position to open 'D' position?"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber