The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 PM

Default effects pedal for non-piezo pickups?

i played a breedlove C25 C/R through a fishman amp and didn't realize that the effects were on... a pleasant mistake. now i'm hooked on that sound that came out! here's the thing... all the guitars i currently own are not UST piezo pickups... they're ES equipped or LR baggs iBeam pickups. that'll change sometime soon... but for now that's what i got.

question is, a lot of the pedals i've seen, like the boss AD-3 or AD-8 say they're designed for piezo pickups... will something like that give the reverb and chorus effect for my non-piezo pickups? if not, what can i use?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:48 PM

i've used electric guitar effects (ie boss DD20, Line6 Verbzilla) with my ES guitar. i dunno if you're "supposed" to or not. but it worked fine for me.

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)
Old 02-26-2008, 06:11 PM

I've got my pedal board set up to accomodate both acoustic and electric. I happen to use the Boss DD-20 delay pedal (mentioned above) and the Boss CE-20 chorus pedal. These pedals offer a number of different modes, with 1 or 2 modes on each being pretty friendly towards acoustics - more subtle effects than are often sought for electric. I also like the fact that these two pedals allow you to set 4 presets with the modes/settings you desire, so I can setup an acoustic version of my chorus and delay and not have to worry about constantly changing settings when I switch guitars.

These two pedals are a bit more expensive than traditional "single mode" pedals, and admittedly are probably not as pure sounding as the best of class delay and chorus pedals, but their flexibility and friendliness towards acoustic guitars has been a winning combination for me.

By the way, I also have an Acoustimax at the end of the chain which is originally intended for acoustic, but happens to work very well with electric as well. Go figure!

My songs on SoundClick

Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Taylor GA3-12
G&L Legacy HB (Strat)
G&L ASAT Bluesboy (Tele)
Gibson VOS '58 Les Paul
Fender Standard Jazz Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification